Trip to Norway / Oslo-Bregen

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

I'm planning a short trip to Norway (a few days) at the very end of August and need help cause I have no idea where I should absolutely be going. I'm doing FOH for CYNIC at the "Hole in the Sky" festival in Bregen, but I will be arriving in Oslo maybe before that, and we'll probably hang out and visit around for two days after that before going to Holland. Any hint, good address, places of interest, etc, would be much appreciated :)

I haven't been to Norway, although I want to visit very badly. I heard the train ride between Oslo and Bergen is pretty awesome.

-Joe

I did a Scandinavian trip last summer. The last city I visited was Oslo but I didn't like it at all. It's a normal big city, gray and "chaotic". Good places are the fjord trip and the royal palace....Bergen is way better but I didn't go unfortunatelly.
I prefer denmark (Copenhagen, Aarhus, etc...) and Sweden (Malmo is very nice and Stockholm is awesome. Gotheborg is a no no! Nothing special to see)

Depending on what sorts of things you like to see...
Oslo:
The Viking Ship museeum at Bygdøy is interesting--more than just the Viking stuff out there. Also, they have Thor Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki and Fredrik Nansen's Fram. Pretty interesting if you're into history. You could get cup of extremely tr00, kvlt, grim, frostbitten coffee at the former Helvete record shop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/headovmetal/sets/72157616762842480/

Actually, I'm kind of a history buff, so a lot of the stuff I found interesting was along those lines. Akershus is cool, the resistance museum, etc...

My lass and I loved Bergen when we were there a few years ago. Can recommend the 1 day Sognefjord and Flam Railway tour which departs from Bergen if you have the time. Probably my favourite place on the planet is this tiny little village called "Vik" that is half-way up the fjord. Stunning.

Oslo's nice ..got a couple of god museums if you're into that as well as the vigeland park/museum and the edward munch (guy who painted "the scream") museum as afew modern ones
loen is definitely worth a visit if you're into smaller towns - a little off bergen though
the fish market in bergen by the harbour is a nice experience though

Definitelly...but I think Bergen is a very little city so it could be pretty annoying to stay there for a long time.But for a few days it could be wonderful

Norway is very expensive, bring your own cigarettes and a bottle of vodka if you don't want to empty your visa the first day :p
I've barely been to Bergen myself, so I don't really have any tips for you.. I just realized this post was pretty useless ;)

Edit: I don't know what your budget are, but if you wan't it really cheap and doesn't need anything fancy you could always check out http://www.citybox.no/?language=en .. heh