Triple rec question...

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North
this is my first post on this forum, i have tried the search function, and have spent a great deal of time looking in other places on this forum for a answer but have yet to find one. so i figured asking an actuall question is my only option

I have recently purchesed a mesa 3channel triple rec w/ matching cab and new tubes(supposedly) for a total of 800$.

i figured it was probably the best deal i could get for my moneys worth at the time, and was also a huge step up from podxt and marshall 8100 valvestate.

i have been spending a lot of time trying to find a good overall live tone for a melodic-ish deathmetal type band, but it always seems like theres something wrong with the tone, and i cant tell if its just my ears, maybe the i should try using a different cab?(marshall1960av is what i am currently using) i dont think the tubes are bad (i dont smell anything burning or hear to much extra noise) or if the tone i am looking for out this thing requires some kind of TS?

i have quickly recorded a riff by decapitated with a cheap mic, but im not looking for quality of recorded sound, but hoping some one here can help me by listening to it and giving me some feed back on what i should do?

http://download.yousendit.com/52A18752380622E6

just to let you guys know where im coming from tone wise, im listing my settings.

i am using a guitar in D standard with emg's

the rec has 6l6's in it and is on the 3rd channel on modern, its also set to bold.

solo: max
output: 7:00
pres: 10:30
master: 7:00
gain: 1:30
bass: 10:30
mids: 7:00
treble: 1:30ish

I didn't listen to your clip but Andy posted some settings for his dual rec on Nevermore DHIADW which where:

Silicon Diode Setting
Bold Setting
Red (Modern) Channel
Treble: 11.30
Mids: 10 O'Clock
Bass: 11.30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 12.30
Master: 10 O'Clock

The only thing that looks off with you settings is the mids...7oclock seems really scooped.

thanks man, ill try to put these to use!

i have seen these before, but i also heard that the dual rec has a bit different gain from the triple and that there was a tube screamer on top of that.

but i am definately going to give these a shot.

these settings are definately a bit of an improvment. thank you

but in that post andy said that the TS was used as a signal boost? so i wonder if that was all it was used for, or did it have anything to do with tightening the bottom end and mids?

i dont really want to spend money on something extra like that if i dont have to but im willing to do what it takes to get a live tone that will cut through mix well with this amp.

do many people even use tube screamers live? or are they primarily for studio use?

I think it's definately more of a studio thing but it does make a big difference. A signal boost is kind of like an EQ to your dry guitar sound so I'm sure it had something to do with rolling off the bass ect... before it hits the amp. For recto's they really help a lot in my opinion.

Maybe check out Eurotubes.com for some of there tube sets for the triple rec if you still aren't satisfied with the tone. I actually have a triple rec and an OD808 w/ the high gain tubes set from Eurotubes. I'll try to record a sample for you. Maybe since you don't have a good mic we can both record direct and use an impulse or something so it'd be a more accurate comparison.

i have just checked eurotubes and they have a large variety of high gain tubes sets for the triple rec, im not really sure witch i should get and i also dont know the current american to euro$ ratio..

im interested in hearing your set up with the od808(that is the maxon right?) seing how that is the choice alot of triple rec players go with.

the whole impulses thing is new to me im going to have to do some research on it..i dont really have any idea how it really works..

Last time I played around with a Triplke Rec (admitedly at a recording session) we tried it with and without a TS boost. If I was to ever buy a Triple Rec, I wouldn't even think of using it without a boost. See if you can't borrow a pedal or try one out at a shop to see what the difference is.

It's just like normal except recording the FX Loop out directly into your interface then using a plugin to simulate the cabinet's response. You said you had a bad mic so I figured that this would be the only way to compare.

would it be better or worse to run through my Direct out? and is there some kind of place i could download the impulse plugin, im using sonar 6 and i dont know if it already has it or not?

nebulous i have tried a ts9 through a 6505+ and i very much liked the results, but i have not yet had the chance to try a TS boost through recto...so i think im going to buy one offline and if im not satisfied i guess ill just send it back.

thank you guys both for your imput so far :)

ok! i just ordered my maxon od808 :), hopefully this will help me find what i was looking for in this thing.

so do i use this thing like andy did on DHIADW? or should i try something like this?

drive=0, level=10, tone=6

with the settings alread posted above?

Try both dude. It's not time consuming. You never know what's gonna work. Maybe some compromise between the two will even be better.

That said, the Andy settings are pretty safe if you don't want to think about it. But who wants to be safe? :)

ok! i just ordered my maxon od808 :), hopefully this will help me find what i was looking for in this thing.

so do i use this thing like andy did on DHIADW? or should i try something like this?

drive=0, level=10, tone=6

with the settings alread posted above?

You're gonna fuckin freak out when you first turn that bitch on with the 808. I use 12 oclock settings on the drive and balance, and tone is usually somewhere in the 3 oclock region. I have the gain set pretty high (nearly dimed) on the head when going into my triple rec. If you don't already have 6l6s, get those. They make a BIG difference in tone from the Els.

thanks a bunch for your input guys, i really appreciate it:)

im definately going to spend alot of trying to get this to sound good.

gnash i do already have the mesa 6l6's in there, and i hope i do freak out when i plug it in:)

btw are you in threat signal or just a fan?

gnash i just watched your threat signal try out video for (when all is said and done) on youtube, everything sounds really great! what were you using at that perticular time?

btw i only asked because a few months back (not sure you where in the band at the time) my band was going to open for you guys, but the tour ended up being cancelled :(

Yeah that was the original dude back then. I just joined about a month ago. I heard the whole story about that, but I definately don't have any bad shit to say about anyone. I have alot of respect for that dude. It's all good now! We're tearing up Canada right now. THERE WILL BE NO MORE THREAT SIGNAL TOUR CANCELLATIONS! haha

I GOT MY OD808 TODAY!!!!!

you can really tell that this thing definately cuts alot of the flub and drag that it had before. much more attack and response, little bit of feed back(im not using any drive) but that can be taken care of :)

and i have only been plugged in for about 5 minutes!

so far so good!