Tutorial: How to make super tight guitars using sidechaining (ie. veil of maya)

exactly what u guys mean by edit hand to hand? soz for stupid question.. cuz that i am

exactly what u guys mean by edit hand to hand? soz for stupid question.. cuz that i am

Cut, nudge, crossfade, and so on and so forth. Just to tighten up choppy guitars. Sometimes you have to nudge parts a little and cut out all the extra noise in between.

I always thought people got that super tight "chug" sound because they just play like that! Well this certainly makes me feel slightly better about my playing :lol:

Great tutorial, thanks :headbang:

man this is a great tutorial just what i'm after. Veil of maya tight as fuck.
However, could you explain the routing a bit more? I don't really know how i'd go about the routing in cubase. Are you sending the kick to the guitar or are u bussing them both to a group channel or somethin after you applied the gate to guitars/bass? :Smokin:

I don't think Cubase supports sidechaining, does it?

I know there are a couple free plugins that you can use to sidechain, though...I've used those in the past, but I can't remember their names (on an old machine I no longer use).

It must do its like one of the most well known DAW's, if reaper supports it there must be a way about it in cubase. Sidechaining is used a lot in dance/electronic music. I didn't really understand the sidechaining sticky until i read this, didn't really make much sense to me.

I'm still pretty sure that Cubase does not support sidechaining (at least prior to version 5)...But, again, there are VST plugs that you can get that will sidechain to each other. I wish I could remember what it was called....

EDIT

Search function is your friend...Looks like Cubase can sidechain since version 4.1

As for the plugins I was referring to that you can use to side chain:
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~drumbest/gg.html

http://www.twistedlemon.nl/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79&Itemid=60

the result sounds too fake to me, but its nice to learn something different. Thanks

I've done this before but chaining the gate off of the guitar DI onto the reamped track, with the threshold just barely low enough to catch the notes in the DI and the hold and release set appropriately... Works better I think because there's a lot of times where there might not be a kick hit during a chug if there was a snare instead, plus this way you can apply it to the whole guitar track at once and BAM instant tight, done. Works because the noise floor on a DI is so much lower than on the reamped track.

Are those clicks and pops to be attributed to the gate or are they artifacts from as you say watching movies while rendering? Also, I'd be way more interested in finding out how you're getting such crushing drum tones! Good stuff man! Are you using SD2.0? do you bus out the drums and mix in your DAW or use the built in mixer?

the drums are all real

the toms are my own samples that i've posted on here

the kick is slate 10

the snarei s a blend of the real snare (which you really hear the most) snare 12 like 10% and the snare 12z4 to make it sound roomy

DIGGING THE DRUMS

any info on them ?

Don't like the result but the tip is really useful. I think in your example the effect is too strong, it's like the notes are cut a little too short.

sorry didn't see your infos. Digging your toms dude, sound really natural, like your whole kit. You mean toms are real from the same kit as your samples or replaced with your own samples ?