Uli John Roth

OneFootBlaster

Satanic Hispanic
Jun 4, 2002
SAnTAaNa, CA.
www.winterthrall.com
I've been listening to alot of Uli Jon Roth. He's a total genius. He was once in The Scorpions and then left and started a progressive/hendrixy/jazzy band under his name. Anyone who thinks motards like Yngwie Malmsteen and Marty Friedman are/were original- should check out Uli's Firewind/Earthquake cd's. That shit was written/performed/released way back in '79!
You can actually hear where Yngwie and Marty totally stole "their styles" from. Check out the solo work in "Cast Your Chains Away"- absolutely amazing for the time. He has since taken part in the European G3 concerts led by Joe Satriani. He also has developed a 36 fret guitar! haha It sounds like a fuckin' violin! Check out the song "Pegasus Suite" and you'll hear those "notes only dogs can hear" LOL Anyway- gotta give the man props! He's so underated its sick!!!

If anything, Uli started the whole shredder thing... he was absolutely unrivaled at the time (1978) save for people like Gary Moore , Michael Schenker and Edward Van Halen.... He definitely set the standard. I remember reading somewhere that Van Halen used to cover "Virgin Killer" by The Scorps.. That would've been something to see...

I'm older than dirt so I've been listening to him since his days w/ Scorpions -- I love his solo work, even though his vocals are goofier-than-fuck!

I love his stuff with the Scorpions. Virgin Killer and Taken By Force are two of my all time favorite metal albums. Favorite guitar work- "Catch Your Train", "The Sails of Charon", "Hell Cat", "Polar Night". and "Robot Man".