Ulver - Blood Inside

MajestikMøøse said:
It's amazing that some people actually took this thread seriously.
Honestly I think your humoUr is beyond comprehension sometimes.

"Think I'll go somewhere safer instead, like GROZNY!"
*no laughter*
"Zoom!"
*makes over-the-head motion*

Man, that's just not as funny as watching Krusty do it himself.

What got me was whether or not all those other people who've heard it (Russell, etc) were acknowledging and going along with that Matt said, or just commenting on the album.

So just curious, but why are metal fans so desperate to deny that Ulver's first 3 albums carried them to where they are today? You telling me that if it wasn't under the name of "Ulver", you'd still be drooling over it? If that's the case, just how many other ambient/electronic/synthesized/trance albums do Ulver fans own and listen to? I mean, if that's the case, why stop at Ulver? There is a whole scene out there for you lot to explore, and it's bigger than metal. I'm sure there are hundreds of bands that do it better than Ulver too.

JayKeeley said:
If that's the case, just how many other ambient/electronic/synthesized/trance albums do Ulver fans own and listen to?
A lot. :)

Allowing yourself to listen to a non-metal band because they used to be metal is absolute bullshit though, I agree. Actually it's well beyond bullshit, it's one of the dumbest concepts in the history of stupid moves that people make. But people on this very forum have the need to convince themselves that something they enjoy is "metal-related." Whatever happened to liking something BECAUSE YOU LIKED IT?

One Inch Man said:

And of course, that's the answer that everyone will give to avoid looking like a hyopcrite. People should just be honest.

Allowing yourself to listen to a non-metal band because they used to be metal is absolute bullshit though, I agree. Actually it's well beyond bullshit, it's one of the dumbest concepts in the history of stupid moves that people make.

OK, but I BET YOU $5000000 that there are a ton of metal fans that only listen to Ulver and nothing else that comes even remotely close to the modern Ulver sound.

If Ulver hadn't released the trilogie, 99% of metal fans wouldn't have even looked at "Themes from William Blake..." or anything after that/

But people on this very forum have the need to convince themselves that something they enjoy is "metal-related." Whatever happened to liking something BECAUSE YOU LIKED IT?

That's not true for me. About a third of my collection is 'non-metal', but I don't try to palm it off as metal. If you ask me which is the better metal band between Slayer and U2, after much consideration I'd have to go with Slayer. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
If that's the case, just how many other ambient/electronic/synthesized/trance albums do Ulver fans own and listen to?

A lot as well. I would imagine 1/3 of my music listening (perhaps slightly more) is metal, 1/3 is electronic and 1/3 is other stuff (jazz, rock, goth, ethereal, classical etc.). Even though probably few people other than NAD will be interested, I have a big soft-spot for EBM and insutrial, and love power noise and really harsh electronica. I also listen to a fair amount of world dance, ambient, breakcore, gabber, noise, dark ambient and "quiet" or "intelligent" electronica (kind of like Console/Notwist, Aphex Twin, Suqarepusher etc.).

There's some really good stuff out there in all genres. I'm pretty sure the majority of metal fans who dismiss non-metal unless it is released by an ex-metal band (to justify their listening) is purely a result of their own insecurity. Metal seems to attract some listeners who rely on the music to give them an "identity" or individuality, and as a result feel this is threatened if they listen to anything else. As a result they usually dismiss anything other style as crap without even listening, as they just feel this strengthens that "individuality". Hence it is these same people who often label bands as "sell-outs" when they become popular without changing their style - the individual feels they have lost part of what makes them different, or unusual, and as a result bucks the trend to reassert their uniqueness.

:dopey:

JayKeeley said:
OK, but I BET YOU $5000000 that there are a ton of metal fans that only listen to Ulver and nothing else that comes even remotely close to the modern Ulver sound.
Of course! There is a good chance that several such people are reading this very thread RIGHT NOW! o_O
JayKeeley said:
That's not true for me. About a third of my collection is 'non-metal', but I don't try to palm it off as metal.
I know that's not true for you, you mong! :lol: And yes, Slayer is a better band but U2 still kicks ass. :loco:
Russell said:
There's some really good stuff out there in all genres. I'm pretty sure the majority of metal fans who dismiss non-metal unless it is released by an ex-metal band (to justify their listening) is purely a result of their own insecurity. Metal seems to attract some listeners who rely on the music to give them an "identity" or individuality, and as a result feel this is threatened if they listen to anything else. As a result they usually dismiss anything other style as crap without even listening, as they just feel this strengthens that "individuality". Hence it is these same people who often lable bands as "sell-outs" when they become popular without changing their style - the individual feels they have lost part of what makes them different, or unusual, and as a result bucks the trend to reassert their uniqueness.
The only possible response is: YES perhaps followed by a :kickass: for a bit o' the ol' irony.

I totally grabbed a Fatboy Slim CD on my way out the door thanks to JayKeeley's rant, haven't listened to this in years.

:kickass:

:kickass:

Well ulver has the same disease that the gathering and samael have had to suffer under. The changing of genres when their fanbase didn't. It just takes time for them to find a market that suites them better. The End has been the best label for transition acts and I think that it is really great some fans of metal can also appreciate other genres.

Russell send me your address again i think i lost it (again) i will add it to my list so i wont lose it again this time (i had a mail server crash)

One Inch Man said:
I totally grabbed a Fatboy Slim CD on my way out the door thanks to JayKeeley's rant, haven't listened to this in years.

And I might just throw on some Prodigy. Fuck I might even throw on some "It takes a nation of millions to hold us back"!!. 'Man, I got a right to be hostile, my people being persecuted, '...great song. :tickled:

Yeah, you guys know what I'm talking about, and we've talked about it before so I won't flog the horse. Same shit applies to Anathema.

Question: In reference to "selling out", if a band remains 'low key', on a small label, isn't in it for the money and experiments with new sounds, BUT ends up alienating their audience to the point where 95% of the fanbase is replaced, and the band themselves end up dismissing their own roots by no longer acknowledging their earlier catalog, isn't that equally as sad? I'm all for progression, but shouldn't the acknowledgement of what got them there in the first place remain intact? Shouldn't there be a nod to fans of old AND new when playing shows for example? Why purposely move towards alienation and pretend that the metal albums no longer exist? And if that is the case through some form of pig-headedness, why not just change the band name and start all over again?