Alice Cooper
Ozzy Osbourne
Scorpions
Thin Lizzy
Van Halen
Rainbow
Hellhammer

Reactions: CiG
AC/DC and Thin Lizzy aren't metal. Never were, never will be, they're good ole fashioned hard rock like Ted Nugent. It's not like they crossed over into metal later on like KISS and Deep Purple either.

Neither is Deep Purple or Rainbow, but they certainly influenced countless metal bands. \m/

I see your point on Thin Lizzy, but if Rainbow and Purple are metal, I feel you should consider AC/DC metal, as well.

Not really. AC/DC are far too grounded in 12 bar blues to be metal, they're basically a much louder, crunchier, rawer version of Chuck Berry in a lot of ways. They're hard rock through and through. If they were metal there'd probably be more acceleration on the tempo, the percussion would be much different, they'd incorporate some jazz and classical influences, etc.

I'm feelin' you, HP. Sabbath was pretty bluesy, as well. I'm not even that huge an AC/DC fan, but I still feel that considering they started in the early 70's and the sheer heaviness of their sound for the time, it seems a no-brainer they should be mentioned.

I'm feelin' you, HP. Sabbath was pretty bluesy, as well. I'm not even that huge an AC/DC fan, but I still feel that considering they started in the early 70's and the sheer heaviness of their sound for the time, it seems a no-brainer they should be mentioned.
Sabbath were bluesy, but they were also very jazzy and classical, and had that extra acceleration and percussive difference. They were also marginally heavier, and they formed five years before AC/DC, and released their first two albums also five years prior to AC/DC. By your logic, we should be voting in The Stooges. I say this as a long-time AC/DC diehard.

Ok, you got me on AC/DC. :) I'm curious, though... why didn't you call me out my pick for Alice Cooper? Aside from the imagery and maybe the lyrical content, he/they wouldn't really be considered metal, either. I guess I was merely going for the influence on metal with some of my picks.

Ok, you got me on AC/DC. :) I'm curious, though... why didn't you call me out my pick for Alice Cooper? Aside from the imagery and maybe the lyrical content, he/they wouldn't really be considered metal, either. I guess I was merely going for the influence on metal with some of my picks.
Because Alice is most definitely metal. With his solo career, you can't listen to 12 seconds of Raise Your Fist And Yell! and say he isn't metal. Killer bordered on Sabbath levels of heaviness in certain sections, and the original Alice band had the technical approach of an early trad metal band, plus a lot of bizarre proggy affectations. Like you said too, the visuals and lyrics were insanely macabre and explicit (Dead Babies, I Love The Dead, Raped and Freezin', etc.).

I love Queen, and they come damn close to being metal at times, but never quite go that far. I recommend you switch out the non-metal stuff with metal stuff on your list.

AC/DC and Thin Lizzy aren't metal. Never were, never will be, they're good ole fashioned hard rock like Ted Nugent. It's not like they crossed over into metal later on like KISS and Deep Purple either.

Thin Lizzy definitely has music that could be considered heavy metal, even if you don't think so.