Underrated musicians in metal.....

Dave didnt decide to scap "these boots". It was for legal reasons I believe. It is a cover and they changed the lyrics which wasnt popular with the original artist or whoever owned the song. I have both the remastered and the reguar version of KIMB. The original is a late press and they removed it alltogether. The remastered one basically has a intrumental version of the song (I believe some parts of the vocals are still present).

I know it wasn´t Dave decision I just say he should stood his ground (damn lawyers and Lee Hazelwood). I have then an original Combat press since the lyrics are intact. The remaster has all the lyrics but with an annoying beep in certain parts, but is not an instrumental (that would have been a more interesting choice IMO)

Anyway back to topic:

William J. Tsamis - the mastermind of both Warlord and Lordian Guard not only wrote brilliant metal epics he was a great guitar player too, sadly now an illness precluded him to continue with the revamped Warlord after "Rising Out Of The Ashes" (btw the original Damien King (Jack Rucker) singer has one of the best voices I ever listened to, 'Deliver Us From Evil' is a masterpiece).

Bill Ward - I seldom hear or see people mentioning him and to me he's an extraordinary drummer. You can listen to his work in the early Sabbath albums and judge for yourself.

William J. Tsamis - the mastermind of both Warlord and Lordian Guard not only wrote brilliant metal epics he was a great guitar player too, sadly now an illness precluded him to continue with the revamped Warlord after "Rising Out Of The Ashes"

Yes, definitely! Was not aware he was ill -- got any details? ...I had just assumed that he was focusing on his other interests, philosophy, blog, etc

Yes, definitely! Was not aware he was ill -- got any details? ...I had just assumed that he was focusing on his other interests, philosophy, blog, etc

Last thing I understood was he has some problem that precludes him to play guitar, but I never found any details :zombie:

Let's say mine...

Vocalists

John Arch - I can't believe that there are Fates Warning fans that snubb his period. The best heavy metal singer, simply!

Harry "The Tyrant" Conclin - Need to say anything? The metal fans should worship him as God, but the majority of them doesn't know him!

Bobby Hicks - The fantastic singer of the most underrated metal band in history. Mystic Force. If you haven't listened to them before, check out their albums and you 'll remember me.

Carl Albert - What a voice! The second and best Vicious Rumors singer is one of the best voices that have ever appeared in heavy metal. R.I.P.

J.D. Kimball - R.I.P.

Steve Grimmett - Maybe the best british singer in metal.

Mike Howe - The second Metal Church singer.

Steve Benito - Another singer who should be praised as God. If you don't know, he was the voice of Heir Apparent at "One Small Voice".

Guitarists

David T. Chastain - Every album, from CJSS to Zanister, from Chastain to his personal works, has a lot of fine guitar playing. It's a pity that he is not famous like other masters of guitar - like Blackmore, Malmsteen, Moore etc.

Bill Tsamis - All what Wyvern said.

Mark "The Shark" Shelton - You maybe don't like his voice. Have you listened him playing his guitar?

Jordan Macarus - Yes, I know, Winterhawk were not a metal band. But he is one of my favorite guitar players of all time.

These for the time, I must think more to have a more complete list...

Let's say mine...
J.D. Kimball - R.I.P.

Bill Tsamis - All what Wyvern said.

Mark "The Shark" Shelton - You maybe don't like his voice. Have you listened him playing his guitar?

Agree with all those indeed. Everybody praise Wayne, but to me the voice of Metal Church would always be Howe. :headbang:

Jimmy Bain - Played a mean bass for both Rainbow and Dio but he's seldom mentioned

Oooh yeaaah! Bain is the shit! :worship:

Brian Downey - one of the most accomplished drummers I've ever listen to, but it seems that nobody shone in the shadow Phil Lynott cast upon Thin Lizzy as his frontman.

Yeah, he's technically proficient but too soft for Thin Lizzy, I think they should've had a hard hitter instead of him...

David T. Chastain - Every album, from CJSS to Zanister, from Chastain to his personal works, has a lot of fine guitar playing. It's a pity that he is not famous like other masters of guitar - like Blackmore, Malmsteen, Moore etc.

Chastain the band is awesome, but Chastain the guitarist is laughable... In the same way as A.R.Pell.
Too many notes and none of them precise enough or played well enough. He isn't up there with the likes of those you mentioned for a good reason... ;)

Yeah, he's technically proficient but too soft for Thin Lizzy, I think they should've had a hard hitter instead of him...

I don't know to me Thin Lizzy without Brian Downey is not conceivable. When John Sykes decided to reunite with Scott Gorham and him (plus some bass player) I thought it was alright but never could be TL without Phil Lynott, when Brian drop out of the project I didn't even care (and still doesn't) what are they making as a tribute band.

I have the guy in my pantheon along with Ian Paice, Cozy Powell, Carl Palmer, Bill Brufford, Bill Ward, Nick Mason, etc.

I wouldn't say he's a joke. He's a hack that knows that he's part of a good thing. He's smart, average player that's wealthy as a result...
Wait a minute... Are you saying bass players are barely musicians?!

No, no, no! Just that bass player! I love bass guitar, especially when a guy writes his own riffs that still fit seamlessly with the guitars and the drums. Geezer Butler is my personal fave, his riffs are almost as tasty as Iommi's.

Chastain the band is awesome, but Chastain the guitarist is laughable... In the same way as A.R.Pell.
Too many notes and none of them precise enough or played well enough. He isn't up there with the likes of those you mentioned for a good reason... ;)
Please.. technically any guitarist from today including Chastain can play better then Blackmore... but anyways I think he's a great guitarist who is underrated and the albums Ruler of the Wasteland and 7th Of Never are awesome...

Jabs and Hoffmann had more in common than many would believe. Of course both were German and of similar eras, but both also had the same producer at one point in their lives. Dieter Dierks might be the second best producer that has ever lived behind Mutt. Dieter believed in "hiding" guitar fills and "mini-solos" in the music where you wouldn't really hear it the first time around, but the more you listened, the more would be discovered.
I think Mattias was every bit as good as Michael and Uli Jon. He was not in a position to be as "groundbreaking" as you would say, but he was a monster.

Bryant

The first person that comes to mind for me is Matthias Jabs of the Scorps. He is rarely mentioned in great guitar player lists (and if he is, it's almost always near the bottom). He had big shoes to fill with Micheal Schenker and Uli Jon Roth as predecessors, but I think he did well in that category. His solos are just as melodic and emotional as Schenkers, but he gets no credit for it (possibly because he came along for their more commercial, less groundbreaking albums).

Rudd fooled so many people. He was/is tough to duplicate.

Good selection with Vera and Matheos. There is no prog-metal without FW. They are the originators.

Bryant

Couldn't agree more, especially with Rudd. The guy was a human metronome, and I know so many good local drummers who have a hell of a time playing his stuff.
Martin, technically speaking, was the best singer Sabbath ever had.

Here are a few others:
Tony Mills - Shy/Siam/TNT - England's answer to Geoff Tate. A great voice and songwriter.

Joey Vera - Fates Warning/Armored Saint - Simply a great bassist (very tasteful) and songwriter.

Michael Sweet - Stryper/Boston - A good guitarist and jaw-dropping singer. He's rarely mentioned when it comes to metal's greatest singers, but he was certainly up there.

Carl Albert - Vicious Rumours / Ruffians - Such a shame he passed away at such a young age and never made it big. The song Lady Took a Chance is a great example of his range, power and tenacity as a singer.

Jim Matheos - Fates Warning - Incredibly tasteful yet intricate guitar work. The only way I can describe a lot of his brilliant songwriting and guitar work is "complexity within simplicity".

Honorable mentions: Tom Calandra (Z-Lot-Z), Rich Ward - (Fozzy / Stuck Mojo), Ken Orth (Wycked Synn).

I could add another 10 to the list, but that'll do.[/quote]

Great choice with Grimmett !!

I doubt Howe will make it into "underrated" though. Although Howe era MC maybe considered "underground," it is too well known in this forum and probably sold in the hundred thousands in their first release of the era, Blessing in Disguise.

Bryant

Let's say mine...

Vocalists

Steve Grimmett - Maybe the best british singer in metal.