Universe 217

IOfTheStorm

Gogol Bordello
Mar 28, 2002
Athens-Greece
www.monolith.gr
I was thinking of making a thread about this band since i first saw them live in April 2006. Their live show was one biggest musical shocks of my life, not only because of their music but because their whole performance was really special and theatrical with smokes/frankincense surrounding the stage, and an acrobat adding a sweet touch of abnormality to the whole show.

uni1.jpg

Anyway, the real shocker came first with Tania's vocals, for sure the best greek female vocalist and one of the best i have ever heard, and then with the band's music: a fucked up psycho/space/dark doom rock/metal (they like to call their music "no tempo rock") with huge dozes of deep atmospheres, intense and various emotions and enough rocking vibe to make you bang your head in some moments. I tried to catch every live show they have given since this night and i always love the experience. Finally they have signed a contract with Duplicate Records (Lamented Souls among others) and they have just released their first, self titled album.

Perhaps the following songs/samples of their music will be of greater help than my poor description of their music (you can read a most detailed one here ) so enjoy.

Yousendit songs taken from the album:

Universe 217 - Inferno

Universe 217 - 66

Universe 217 - In Your Head (videoclip)

Universe 217 - I Don't Give A Damn/In Your Head pt 3 (also videoclip)

Universe 217 - Harmless (live)

Universe 217 - Never (live - without a bass player on that show)

www.myspace.com/universe217

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had told me that "Harmless" was an unused song from In The Woods...'s 'Strange In Stereo' sessions, I would have believed you. Yeah, listening to the rest, I'd be shocked if they aren't intimately familiar with that album. Not that that's a bad thing in any way!

Neil

I have been listening to those songs you uploaded a lot lately. I'm assuming it's all on par? I really need to buy this album.

Well "66" is one of my favorites, but in the end i have a similar level of affection with all the songs of the album so i can't really choose some standard best.

By the way i just read skyrefuge's post, and, strangely, he is 100% spot on, the band closer to what Universe 217 do, is probably In The Woods of "Strange In Stereo" and maybe "Three Times Seven On A Pilgrimage" too.