• Vinyl

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Cd

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

mutantllama

Nov 24, 2005
Maine
Assuming that you have access to rare shit, and you have a decent set up which format would you rather have your collection in?

I say vinyl.

In terms of pure listening enjoyment, I prefer the sound of vinyl over CD in most instances, but there are a plethora of other variables that account for my CD collection being about 5 times the size of my vinyl collection. It's less of a pain in the ass listening to a 72 minute long album on CD than it is on a DLP, for starters.

I prefer vinyl, though it's more cumbersome and turntables (and the records themselves) are very high maintenance. With a good turntable and a clean, unscratched disc, the sound quality blows away the low-res digitized garbage of CD's. Let us not also forget the superior packaging possibilities of an LP. You can really see the artwork on that big slipcover, and the fact that you can't skip around kinda forces you to absorb the entire album and loose yourself in it. I know CD's are touted for their "convenience", but nothing beats mp3's for the convenience factor.

In terms of pure listening enjoyment, I prefer the sound of vinyl over CD in most instances, but there are a plethora of other variables that account for my CD collection being about 5 times the size of my vinyl collection. It's less of a pain in the ass listening to a 72 minute long album on CD than it is on a DLP, for starters.
At first it was rather annoying to flip the record but now it's juts become natural. Also has anyone noticed how it seems where the break in the album to flip seems more natural in older albums?
I prefer vinyl, though it's more cumbersome and turntables (and the records themselves) are very high maintenance. With a good turntable and a clean, unscratched disc, the sound quality blows away the low-res digitized garbage of CD's. Let us not also forget the superior packaging possibilities of an LP. You can really see the artwork on that big slipcover, and the fact that you can't skip around kinda forces you to absorb the entire album and loose yourself in it. I know CD's are touted for their "convenience", but nothing beats mp3's for the convenience factor.
Yeah the giant artwork is awesome.

Also it seems that I don't get as distracted when I listen to music on vinyl. Even when I listen to music through my cd player or even iPod I tend to focus a little less on it.