Vocals WAY too loud, and yet not at the same time. :(

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
Hey guys..
I have another question for you all.

When mixing recently, I've found that I have to mix the vocals EXTREMELY loud on my studio monitors for them to be at a suitable level on other systems, such as the car, laptop speakers, etc.

Everytime I do it, I feel like I'm just slaughtering the mix with vocals, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, I was wondering if it could have something to do with the the way my monitors are setup?

If you take the regular computer montior (about 20"), my monitors sit like half a foot left and right from my computer monitor.

Is this normal?

Here's what I was thinking..

I was thinking that my monitors are too close together and they are losing some stereo image, or either gaining too MUCH stereo image.
I've never really worked on room acoustics, or monitor placement or anything, but I think I may need to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I can explain more if this is confusing! :)

Compare with other pro mixes. My headphones give off a lot more sides, whereas my speakers give off a lot more centre image.

If the pro mixes don't have the same problem, compress the vocals more.

Hey guys..
I have another question for you all.

When mixing recently, I've found that I have to mix the vocals EXTREMELY loud on my studio monitors for them to be at a suitable level on other systems, such as the car, laptop speakers, etc.

Everytime I do it, I feel like I'm just slaughtering the mix with vocals, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, I was wondering if it could have something to do with the the way my monitors are setup?

If you take the regular computer montior (about 20"), my monitors sit like half a foot left and right from my computer monitor.

Is this normal?

Here's what I was thinking..

I was thinking that my monitors are too close together and they are losing some stereo image, or either gaining too MUCH stereo image.
I've never really worked on room acoustics, or monitor placement or anything, but I think I may need to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I can explain more if this is confusing! :)

distance and spacing of monitors is crucial, and not too hard to correctly place - set in your chair where you work, and then place the monitors so that you would have an equilateral triangle if you drew a line between your head and each of the monitors

also have the center of the monitor(right between woofer and tweeter) at eardrum level if possible

distance and spacing of monitors is crucial, and not too hard to correctly place - set in your chair where you work, and then place the monitors so that you would have an equilateral triangle if you drew a line between your head and each of the monitors

also have the center of the monitor(right between woofer and tweeter) at eardrum level if possible

sorry to derail the thread but what is the average distance to have your monitors apart......i see everybody is different .....i got mine at like 38 inches apart? whats yours kurtz

yea mine are probably 36-38" apart...not for any real reason other than that's how they space out around my desk

Equilateral triangle d00ds

monitor_placement_top.png

what kind of monitors do you have dood?

I have krkrp8s and when the vocals sound perfect on them (sitting in the mix i mean) they are actually way too loud in a car. so if i put them low on the monitors its perfect, idk if its my room, the way i have them setup, or my monitors hah, but i guess its just part of adapting to what you got mannnnn!

at least you realized whats going on!