Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows

WhiteBeastofWotan

Apostitutes!
May 22, 2003
Philly
Visit site
152463.jpg

Too my surprise, it appears that Walknut's 2007 debut, Graveforests and Their Shadows, has not really been discussed. Here we have a delightful dish of hypnotic atmospheric black metal from Russia, apparently featuring members of Temnozor (I didn't know this until recently, they sound nothing alike). The main draw to this album is the massive atmosphere, due to the production and the in-your-face guitar tone. Along with this atmosphere, subtle melodies for the most part keep the listener attentive, despite very little variation (its pretty much tremolo guitar through the whole album). My only complaints with the album is the aforementioned lack in variety and the moderately weak vocals. Comparisons to Burzum are of course unavoidable, as is often the case with Atmospheric BM. They remind me slightly of Drudkh as well, and due to the massive and oppressive atmosphere, Ruins of Beverast.

1. Hrimfaxi
2. Motherland Ostenvegr
3. Come, Dreadful Ygg
4. The Midnightforest of The Runes
5. Grim Woods
6. Skinfaxi
http://rapidshare.com/files/96996552/Walknut-GraveforestsAndTheirShadows.zip

Fucker, this was planned since weeks to be my recommendation.

My best find this year, through some review site.

What sold me on this album is the main riff on track 2 that starts at the very beginning of the track. That along with the production and atmosphere.

Your comparisons to other bands are better than what I could have come up with and I think they are spot on.

So this is pretty neat, conjuring up pretty much every ingredient that makes a solid depressive BM album. I guess they have yet to come up with the little extra that will make them really stand out among the likes of Burzum, Shining, etc. The riffing patterns in "Motherland Ostenvegr" are indeed uplifting.

In fact their sound reminds me of a mix between Orenda and Deathgate Arckanum. I guess I'll come back to it quite often when in the right mood, and keep it in mind for a purchase whenever money finds its way into my pockets.

Finally gotten around to giving this album a few more listens... honestly, while it is decent, it suffers because of the great deal of hype I've heard for it, and not exactly living up to it. It also suffers with a serious case of Angantyr disease... every song on the album sounds essentially the same. Granted, Angantyr does a much better job of structuring their "sameyess" to where it can be more than tolerable, where as Walknut's song structure just seems to drag on and on and on and on and on and on...

Seriously, the amount I've heard this album circle jerked over and over, I expected the fucking thing to be sent in a glob of semen with a stamp on it.

that's the Internet for you, brother :)

But seriously this album rules all the same. Give it some more time, IMO each song definitely stands out on their own merits. It's the production that - while perfect for the style - tends to give this impression of force-fed unity.

Finally gotten around to giving this album a few more listens... honestly, while it is decent, it suffers because of the great deal of hype I've heard for it, and not exactly living up to it. It also suffers with a serious case of Angantyr disease... every song on the album sounds essentially the same. Granted, Angantyr does a much better job of structuring their "sameyess" to where it can be more than tolerable, where as Walknut's song structure just seems to drag on and on and on and on and on and on...

You're not alone Eric, this was basically my reaction as well. I love the style they play, but the monotonous songwriting wore thin on me after a few songs to the point where the songs became indistinguishable. The foundation is there for good things though, so I'll be sure to check out future releases in the hopes they progress in an interesting way.

Jason

I really enjoy this album, although I can see where people are coming from when they say the sounds bleed together. It's probably safe to say their next release will build upon what they've created here.