Wanna tune up my rig and fx processor, need help

spycam

Ruination
Sep 12, 2006
www.ruination.lt
Hi
I have my ENGL SE amp head and my rack with the gear ready now and before taking this all to rehearsing studio, i wanted to program my fx processor and expression pedal and midi footswitch at home.
Problem, i have no cab at home, but if i brought it from my rehearsing studio, i wouldn't be able to use it at home as my wife and 1 year old son wouldn't tolerate that :)

Question, if i plug cables from the rack into my amp, and then plug one end of a speaker cable (or instrument cable?) into speaker out input of my amp and another end of the cable into mixer i have, that's connected to my PC, so i would have a way to hear what i play via studio monitors or headphones, would that work? I mean i don't want to burn my head or my mixer or anything, i dont' wanna harm my gear, so i thought to ask...
Another question, if this works, what Ohm setting on the amp should i use? 4, 8 or 16?

NO never plug your guitar into a tube amp without having a SPEAKER CAB connected to the head. If the amp was solid state your idea would be fine but tube amps need a speaker to dump the power load so that you dont burn up your transformer. You could try a power break or a hot plate so that you can have a somewhat cranked sound at a very low volume.

Well, this does not make sense for me to buy some atenuator just because i'm lazy to bring everything to rehearsing studio :)

How about the thing, that my amp (ENGL SE is f***ing flexible :)) has this in the rear:
engl_se.gif

I have a microfone cable with XLRs somewhere, it's balanced, right? So probably i could use it to plug to the showed input and plug another end of that XLR cable into my mixer? Not sure if amp needs to be in standby mode or not...

Any ideas?

Just turn it on but leave it on standby with the cab unattached - you'll be able to program everything and make sure it works without actually having it plugged into anything. Since it's an ENGL, the preamp out will work while the amp is on standby.

Just make damned sure you leave it on standby!

Just turn it on but leave it on standby with the cab unattached - you'll be able to program everything and make sure it works without actually having it plugged into anything. Since it's an ENGL, the preamp out will work while the amp is on standby.

Just make damned sure you leave it on standby!

I didnt know that the preamp out would still work in standby mode.thats sweet. wish my roadking would do that.

Yeah, something to do with the failsafe feature they have on the poweramps... IIRC, if a poweramp tube goes out, it shifts itself into standby mode but keeps the preamp enabled.

I know that diezels do the same thing. why cant boogie do this with there amps...bastards..lol