Want to Learn How to Use a DAW

If anything I'd Reaper would be easier for a total n00b as they're less likely to be bogged down with "console paradigm" expectations that most other DAW software sticks to. Cubase, ProTools etc were initially designed to be instantly familiar to people that had experience with hardware mixers and to the most part they stick with that.

the console paradigm is pretty intuitive, though

Reaper's licence is 40$ and as other people stated it makes no difference as a noob since you have no preconceived notions of what you want.

As a noob myself I would say stop reading the marketing hype of every DAW in the market and just ger Reaper. Oh and RTFM :p

Reaper FTW. STEEEEEEEP learning curve, though. I started on Kristal and got very familiar with it, but still tripped over reaper.

But once you fall in love, you fall forever. I'll never want another (DAW) in my life.

I dunno about that, maybe it's just me but I thought the learning curve was really smooth with Reaper.

I dunno about that, maybe it's just me but I thought the learning curve was really smooth with Reaper.

I found it brain dead simple to learn as well and I was coming from no real experience with any other host. It takes a lot of time to really master and learn everything it can do, but getting your feet wet and getting started is very easy I found. I personally found Cubase a much bigger head ache to setup and try to get working than Reaper.

I started with Cubase LE that came with my old soundcard, had a hard time, than I started
using Reaper and it was so simple, I never had a real problem with it, like Adam said.

I found REAPER incredibly hard to learn for the longest time until dudes like Adam and Shan came and started their awesome PT style customizations.

I gave up on it, too. What do these customs look like? I mean, there will be certain functions/options that are missing or implemented. Are they that similar?

I've been looking for Cubase customs too but haven't found any pics.

I started with Audacity, tried Cubase (LE I think, no idea what version, I think it came along with some gear I bought) but then went to Reaper. I love Reaper.

I found it brain dead simple to learn as well and I was coming from no real experience with any other host. It takes a lot of time to really master and learn everything it can do, but getting your feet wet and getting started is very easy I found. I personally found Cubase a much bigger head ache to setup and try to get working than Reaper.

I'd never used a multitrack-anything ever. Actually, I started using Kristal because it was free, and got very used to it. Learned a lot of basics right there, and when I felt the time was right, dove into reaper. The steepness I was referring to was in the sheer amount of cool shit you can make it do.

Guys, I ended up going with Reaper, and so far I'm glad I did. I don't know much about other DAWs, but this one is incredibly customizable, which I really like. Right now I'm going through tutorials so that I understand the basic functions of using a DAW, and Reaper in particular. So far I've been learning how to get my devices set up, and so far so good, but things are going to get more complicated when my cables get here tomorrow, and I can actually connect my POD HD500 to my Saffire Pro 24 and try and make some recordings.

Guys, I ended up going with Reaper, and so far I'm glad I did. I don't know much about other DAWs, but this one is incredibly customizable, which I really like. Right now I'm going through tutorials so that I understand the basic functions of using a DAW, and Reaper in particular. So far I've been learning how to get my devices set up, and so far so good, but things are going to get more complicated when my cables get here tomorrow, and I can actually connect my POD HD500 to my Saffire Pro 24 and try and make some recordings.

Like said, there are a ton of Reaper users in here so you can always ask for help. Also, I believe the Reaper forums are helpful (and I've use the Reaper IRC room a few times, that's a good place too).

I (again) realised how much I love Reaper, was annoyed with automatic crossfades on split when editing bass drum (you can sometimes double the transient, and not see it since it's in the crossfade parts and not visible, but Trigger will pick it up). So I just added a button to my toolbar to toggle that, easy as hell.

Like said, there are a ton of Reaper users in here so you can always ask for help. Also, I believe the Reaper forums are helpful (and I've use the Reaper IRC room a few times, that's a good place too).

I (again) realised how much I love Reaper, was annoyed with automatic crossfades on split when editing bass drum (you can sometimes double the transient, and not see it since it's in the crossfade parts and not visible, but Trigger will pick it up). So I just added a button to my toolbar to toggle that, easy as hell.

Yeah, I noticed that as I was going through the tutorial. I'll learn how to and add that button too. Also there's a setting that may be the same one or something similar that when you slice up a file you can't heal it back together.