What about an all repeat year?

I know Glenn does his best to bring us the newest bands and bands that haven't been over to the US yet, for which I am greatful for. Just thought I would make that clear.

But what about having a year of all repeat bands? Bring back the bands that brought the house down over the past years as listed in the other thread. It might be kind of fun to hang out with some of the old favs-

Freak Kitchen
Sabaton
Jon Oliva etc- Just a powerhouse line up of repeats.

Thoughts? Complaints?

-Metal

I would be cool with that. A milestone year (XV or XX if it makes it that far) would be a good time to have a 'greatest hits' again, but this time across both nights.

That was what PPX was supposed to be, but it was pretty obvious that a lineup with all repeats would be expensive(almost all bands increase their stature over time, and thus their cost), and not very attractive to ticketbuyers.

That being said, PPX did have awesome repeats on the second night, but from reviews I've read none of them really matched their original performances, although all were good. The killer band of PPX was Sabaton, not Brainstorm or Pagan's Mind or any of the other repeats.

I was thinking about this. I think it would be a great idea. Bring back all the show stoppers, like, Freak Kitchen, Sabaton, Primal Fear, Circus Maximus, ect.

I guess what it would really come down to would be if it would sell or not.

I would definitely enjoy this, although I agree with the comment that it might be cost-prohibitive.

I loved the approach for PPX where the line-up was split between "new blood" and "returning heroes" -- it was the perfect combo of new music and old favorites.

Only for Special occasions like PPXV or XX, otherwise no and if it is done only do one night. I like discovering all these new bands myself not the same bands over and over again.

Bands for an All repeat festival:

Freak Kitchen
Seventh Wonder
Mustasche
DSO
Oceans of Sadness
Circus Maximus
Pagan's Mind
Delain
Rob Rock
Orphaned Land
Leprocus
Spheric Universe Experience
Pathosray
Evergrey

The only thing I can foresee would be if metal lost its popularity again and bands like Hammerfall, Angra, etc. were selling at 1990s levels and couldn't tour the US anymore.

Then it would make sense to do an all-out massive fest with all the old headliners, since it would be affordable.

Freak Kitchen
Seventh Wonder
Mustasch
DSO
Oceans of Sadness
Leprous

I probably only agree with just these, because others have either played repeat performances before (aside from FK, who I would see anywhere, anytime), or just weren't my favorites at the previous PP they played.

I'd like to see some Jag Panzer, Devin Townsend, Angel Dust, or Blind Guardian repetition!

As an outsider, I think this is a bad idea.

I thought the idea was to attract new fans each year, as the number of repeat attendees, per Glen's research, dwindles each year.

A lot of the niche PP favorites (IE - Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, etc) are not bookings that will bring in the fence sitters. Sanctuary and Therion will.

That could be interesting, but I think the ones I would like to see play again (some because they were awesome and some because I missed them) might be a far cry different from what J-man is thinking.

Freak Kitchen
Seventh Wonder
Mustasche
DSO
Oceans of Sadness
Circus Maximus
Pagan's Mind
Delain
Rob Rock
Orphaned Land
Leprocus
Spheric Universe Experience
Pathosray
Evergrey

You don't really have any bands that would draw in the power metal fans. They would sit this show out.

You also have to think of it from the band's point of view.

I know some will bitch about this statement, but last year when Pagan's Mind were added to the Stratovarius tour, a lot of people made comments like, "Oh, yeah, that Prog Power house band"

I think a lot of bands listed above have Prog Power to thank for launching their exposure here in the States, which is great indeed.

You also have to think of it from the band's point of view.

I know some will bitch about this statement, but last year when Pagan's Mind were added to the Stratovarius tour, a lot of people made comments like, "Oh, yeah, that Prog Power house band"

I think a lot of bands listed above have Prog Power to thank for launching their exposure here in the States, which is great indeed.

I thought the house bands were Evergrey and Symphony X.

I would definitely enjoy this, although I agree with the comment that it might be cost-prohibitive.

I loved the approach for PPX where the line-up was split between "new blood" and "returning heroes" -- it was the perfect combo of new music and old favorites.

Admit it - you just want Circus Maximus to come back, followed by Fates Warning. Anything else is just gravy! :lol: