What are the most powerful Enchant lyrics?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
One of Enchant's greatest attributes is the excellent lyrics that are found on every album. The heartfelt lyrics that everybody can relate to... combined with Ted's emotional and powerful voice make for a potent and irresistable combination. Enchant has an embarrassment of powerful lyrics... but I noticed today on this forum... in the "signature" of our own The Stormbringer... these four lines from the new classic "Comatose"... and it almost made me cry just reading those 4 lines. I've had this similar feeling several times in life.

We are kindred spirits
Though parallel lines

Heading off in different directions
Never to entwine

Well, thanks for shilling my signature. I like it a lot, too. :D
Beside those four incredibly touching lines, there are these great lines from "In the Dark", in my humble opinion one of their brutally underrated masterpieces:

I wonder what my life will be
What lies ahead for the people close to me
How can I make my peace with uncertainty
In a sea of risk swim with serenity

Really moving as well (and unfortunately appropriate), from "The Thirst":

There´s a man who is lonely
This could change if he´d only
Take a chance and risk
Stepping outside himself

They really have many songs you can relate to. These are my favs lyrically:

What To Say/know That
Comatose
The Cross
In The Dark
The Ultimate Gift
My Enemy
Pure
+ many more.... really moving stuff.

Should have been more posts in this tread...

Enchanted:
"And the ones who let their hearts rule their minds
will burn their bridges when they've crossed,
and leave the world behind..."

Under the Sun:
"I've spent my life searching for something to keep me constantly content,
And now I'm left here with a longing for what I've spent"

My Enemy:
"And the target's well with in my sights
But my hands won't release the bow
I've been pulling back on it so long
I've forgotten how to let it go
And I know I have the means
But my will is gone
And I fear I won't succeed
So I'm holding on"

etc, etc, etc ... Enchant's lyrics are incredible.

-matt

So many great lyrics.....and music

Broken wave
ultimate gift
seeds of hate
my everafter
armor
so many more....truely some of the best song writers....

Hmmmm......

All of them!

No , OK....I'll narrow it down

Oasis
Enchanted
Pure
Under the Sun
What to Say / Know That
Ultimate Gift
Comatose

And MANY MANY MANY more....

So many lyrics so little time...

Hey DT, welcome aboard --- or should I properly say (in my best J O voice, LOL):

"Hey DT, whatcha been up to? Been a real long time, and your bill's past due!"

Gotta love the 'Tage!!

Cheers!!

thanks, mgirish. Recognize your screen name, possible from the now-defunct Savatage board? I posted there with the same screen name ... was something of a regular for a couple of years back in 99-00.

-matt
np: CircleIICircle

I think "Aquantance" is my favorite song lyricly, and there is actually a story behind why there is a strong sentimental value to that tune lyricly for me... possibly due to the time period the album was released and when I bought it...

Off the top of my head, other songs that lyricly hit the spot: :D

Broken
Silence
Bite My Tounge
Under Fire
Beautiful

\m/
Dustin

Yeah, Thanks everyone! Ted's right, it is very inspiring. I am always amazed when someone relates to something I've written. I tend to think that I am the only one who feels or sees things the way I do sometimes. It's a nice reminder that I'm not alone in my pain or frustration or whatever I'm babbling about in a song. It makes me feel great when someone can truely relate to the emotion and it does something for them, whatever it may be.

So thanks for listening. It makes it worth while.

Doug

Doug,

You probably have no idea how much certain lyrics mean to some of us...but trust me, it is a great deal. When I can recall the exact time and place I first listened to a song, and recall the specific feelings and emotions it created, that says something to me...the real and personal nature of Enchant lyrics, regardless of the topic, is one of the key things that sets you apart from most others who may indeed have catchy, memorable words that aren't lyrically significant or meaningful. Therein lies the difference. Who among us HASN'T lived through somethng akin to "Acquaintance"? Who among us DOESN'T want to avoid living through "Comatose" or "What to Say" ? This is REAL and these emotions are your signature. Keep it up and take care!

To Matt...

Yes that was me - and it still is me! The boards have changed but the name remains the same! :) Nice to see another Savafan here! See ya around!

Cheers!

I have to echo what Mare said. I still have an emotional impression of that first time I heard certain songs. There are a couple that keep me in tears...but it's good for us as human beings to know that others feel those painful and exhilirating emotions, and everything in between. A few songs literally helped me through a particularly difficult time in my life. Great music is THAT powerful. Sometimes I'm simply blown away by the choice of words, the creation of a phrase, or how the music perfectly enhances the lyric. You guys just utterly amaze me.

Kristin
via jaw-dropping dragon

ditto and ditto ... not to sound like a gushing fanboy, but there are very few bands (lyricists) who can invoke in me what enchant is capable of. Fish with Marillion is about the only example on the same level ... possibly Matheos at his best with Fates, or Kevin Moore on occassion in the DT days.

I'm amazed at how often the lyrics of this band are able to set into words (profoundly!) that which should be almost impossible to convey. Emotions are captured so eloquently, effortlessly, and cleverly that it is nothing short of magical.

Despite the tinges of jealously it brings this would-be lyricist :) I offer all the appreciation and gratitude in the world.

If I'm not able to make it to Oakland in march (I only have about a 1% chance), what I'll definitely feel I'm missing out on the most is the opportunity to sing along passionately to the heartfelt verse of Blind Sided, Ultimate Gift, Under The Sun, Distractions, Acquaintance, Paint the Picture, Look Away, New Moon, Pure, and all the rest ... and be surrounded by others doing the same.

thanks again,
-matt

I agree with all of you with the lyrics of the emotional songs (What to Say, Comatose,...). Other songs like Monday are great b/c they sum up the general human experience that everyone can related to. But one of my favorite songs lyrically is Long Way Down. It just captures the realistic Tug of War we have with staying monogamous. I just get this vision of a married guy going to a bar with his buddies on guys nite out, and he sees this young hottie. The devil pops up above one shoulder, and tells him to go for it, but the angel above the other shoulder, reminds him of his commitment and the grass being always greener on the other side. Excellent!! And an awesome underatted pop tune.

And finally someone writes a great song about those spoiled brat outspoken rich kids who crucify you if do not agree with their liberal opinions. MBA in THC --- pure genius. :Spin: :Spin: :Spin:

Jimmy

I've always liked these lyrics from My Enemy.

"Lives are running novels
At times you read; at times your write
The choice of what to do might keep you awake at night"

I also LOVE all the lyrics from Ultimate Gift...but I'm just a sap for love songs:headbang: