What do Sy-X fans occupy themselves with?

Ayreon Guardian X said:
I guess the basic point is that I hope that you will enjoy what you are planning on doing and aren't going into it because you know it is a high-paying field...that is known as a BIG MISTAKE...but, if you like it, then go you! Hope you do well! Good Luck!

I had no idea science was a high paid field!

I thought it was a badly paying field!

Score 1 to not knowing stuff

Pastorius said:
I had no idea science was a high paid field!

I thought it was a badly paying field!

Score 1 to not knowing stuff
well, higher-paying than most...from everything I know, however, you might be right and it might be a low-paying position...I just thought with a lot of the stuff that scientists do, that they would be paid pretty well...what with finding cures to diseases (I know, a different field than you are going into), even doctors to a certain extent are scientists of the human body...and you know how well doctors are paid...I just assumed that scientists made a good deal of money...but you know what they say about when you assume...it makes an ASS out of U and ME!

So far I'm the old man on this board (almost 40). Music is a big part of my days and I always have something on. Music tastes are all over the place. I listen to Genesis, King Diamond, Lacuna Coil, Symphony X, Spock's Beard, Megadeth, 30 Seconds To Mars, Dio, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Blackmore's Night to name a few. Listenting to Atomic Soul as I type this.

Life is nothing without background music!

I go to a lot of live shows and have seen 150+ concerts including Symphony X in a very small bar with about 100 people! Play lots of PC and Xbox games, waste money on Star Wars stuff, and spoil my two sons. Based on their air guitar and drum skills I'll be the manager of a progressive metal band in 15 years.

I'm 14, going into 10th grade. All I do is shred all day and play video games occaisonally. I listen to symphony X religiously, as well as yngwie malmsteen, iron maiden, and any other form of progressive badassness (and classical music). Michael Romeo is my idol and god too.

I'm 22 and planning on a career in either radiology or surgical assistant. I'm currently attending a junior college where I plan to obtain an associate in science, then move to a four-year university.

I play guitar in my band (Zombie Holocaust), and I also play bass. My favorite bands are Symphony X, Dream Theater, Rush, Nightwish, Megadeth, Armored Saint, and Iron Maiden.

In my free time I generally just hang out with my friends and do random things. I also enjoy video games, particularly the Resident Evil series and most first-person shooters.

I was introduced to Symphony X in late 2002 when my brother played me The Odyssey, and I have been hooked since.

i love martial arts, because to me it is the training of balance and tranquillity of the soul. it's not even fighting to me, but more a very dangerous dance

I'm 21. I haven't given up on music as a career yet. I play drums, some guitar, bass, piano, trombone, and everything else. I hope to be a professional drummer in a progressive metal band. I know that even "successful" prog musicians rarely make enough just from music for a comfortable living, so there's got to be a regular job to keep the funds coming in. It's difficult to find a job that will allow you to take large chunks of time off for touring though. The solution: Some friends and I are considering opening a high-performance auto shop within the next 2 years. This will allow me to take as much time off as I need without risking my job, and if I never make it big enough to tour, I'll still have a good job.

Cars are my other passion. I like to own them. I like fast cars, and I like making fast cars faster.

I'm a 17 year old student from England. I study Psychology, Biology and History and I'm hoping to go to University to study something psychology or biology related but I haven't made up my mind. In my spare time I listen to music, play guitar and read (favourite author being Dan Brown). I'd love to be in a progressive metal band, but it's incredibily difficult to find anyone around here that even likes metal, if they do then they're already in a band, it gets quite frustrating at times.

I'm 22 year old student from Finland. I study woodworking (joinery?) and especially restoration of old furniture. I usually play guitar (5 years) and nowadays Diablo (sequels are for suckers.) I used to make tabs for distribution but nowadays I do them just for myself. I have been moderating MySongBook.com for couple of years whenever I've had time. I have a girlfriend so goodbye dreams of an own band, world tours, being wasted. :D

I'm 35, dedicated to my family and work, soon to become father for the first time (after 11 years of marriage and 2 miscarriages). Metal has always been a very important part of my life, Iron Maiden's killers was my introduction to metal at age 12. I always try to buy at least 1 cd per month, and since I have to drive half hour to get to the office, i listen to a lot of music. I'm a civil engineer by the way.

I'm 17 in Canada...We don't have much to do except shuvel snow all the time... HAHA Jokes! No but honestly, I am curretly about to graduate from High school and going to College (CEGEP down here) I am going into Publication Design & Hypermedia Technology. I draw alot, and am very good at it. I am also a drama student. So acting/voices are another one of my specialties. Probably the biggest thing, is the sports I do. Which I love, I am also doing Martial Arts, Mainly Judo, which my father owns a club, I teach and all sorts of shit. Pretty awsome, On the Judo note, most of my life is dedicated to it, I go to Clinics for Coaching, Refing, and Competition, i'm currently 2nd in the province, and am Going to the canadian championships this summer in Alberta... Hopping to come back and have a victory celebration at the gigantour ;) I obviously do weight training and the whole shebang! All in all, I'm a very talented/in-shape dude! Music wise, I can play the clarinet lol...

1by4by9 said:
I usually play... ...Diablo (sequels are for suckers.)

Definately.

I'm happy to see that a lot of the people here are into natural science. Somehow I suspected that Symphony X would attract such people.

I hear that alot of you (american) people are talking about your choices in subjects at pretty early stages, (ie age 17). How is the american (and other countries) school system made up? How early do you specialize yourselves? When do you get your first serious grades (/marks?) and does the selection start?

Here (in Sweden) it works as follows:

You start school when your age is 7. The first 9 years are common and not optional and you hardly get any grades (just the last two years) This is grundskolan (=elementary school). Most of these are public although private ones exist (the differences are subtle).

Next next step is 3 years in the gymnasium which is also pretty much common although it's officialy optional. You apply on the final grades from above but the demands are far from hard. You are not allowed to choose your subjects totaly but your choice is between different profiles, ie natural science (my choice), technics, social science, media etc. Frankly, their not all that different, all of them contain the following common courses: Swedish, English, Math, Natural Science, Society Science and Religion (of course just to some extent). The level here is a little higher and you have to dedicate youreself a little more to get along. Also, the grades you get during these 3 years are the ones you "compete" with when you apply for the university. At this level the private alternatives are more common. Still, the differences are not that big, the public schools are just as good as the private ones.

According why we have so few private schools it's pretty much a fruit of our political traditions.

The university is the final part which seems to be similar all over the world (hence the exchange of students).

Wow, that's different....in the United States, we have five years of elementary school, three years of middle school, then 4 years of high school...after graduation from high school, we head to college/university.....I was even able to go to high school in a vocational technical school and learn stuff that would help me in my career...I took computer technology for 4 years...that also taught me that I don't want to be a computer programmer...so, basically, I started specializing when I was in 9th grade, but switched focus when I graduated to journalism...

In England we start primary school at the age of 4, then at around the age of 11 we start secondary school, both are compulsory, secondary school lasts until we are around 16 years old. Afterwards we have the option to get a job or to go into further education (which is what I'm doing), you go to either a sixth form or college for 2 years and after that you go to university if you want to, which obviously differs in length depending on which course you take.

I'm working on my graduating thesis in Biology at the CNR Labs in Italy. We study RNA-related enzymes. My hobbies are music (of course), guitar, Old D&D and horror movies

I'm 21, replaced David Ellefson in Avian for a brief period before I joined Lilitu. I'm in the process of finding a dayjob, so as to support myself while we're on tour this summer with some Century Media band. We're on The End Records right now, but... yeah. In my spare time, I write music for my power metal project, Mithril Force... oh, and don't forget Matt Moliti's (YngVai) stuff. I will have to say though... the highlight of my day has to be playing Halo 2 and Soul Caliber with Jonah (keyboards - Pyramaze, Lilitu, Avian)... that and going out to Mama Fu's every day. "Welcome to Mama's!"

MajorRager said:
I'm 21, replaced David Ellefson in Avian for a brief period before I joined Lilitu. I'm in the process of finding a dayjob, so as to support myself while we're on tour this summer with some Century Media band. We're on The End Records right now, but... yeah. In my spare time, I write music for my power metal project, Mithril Force... oh, and don't forget Matt Moliti's (YngVai) stuff. I will have to say though... the highlight of my day has to be playing Halo 2 and Soul Caliber with Jonah (keyboards - Pyramaze, Lilitu, Avian)... that and going out to Mama Fu's every day. "Welcome to Mama's!"

you also have a battery fetish