What vocal mic is this? (Chevelle)

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZNJxvtbc8U&feature=player_detailpage#t=41s

Around 0:41 you can see Pete from Chevelle tracking his vocals. I know it's hard to see what mic he is using but the technique seems to be really interesting and I'd love to try that. Is it an SM7B because the cable comes out from the side?

Anyways I'd LOVE to track my vocals while sitting like that because it forces me to use the right muscles for singing and that way I can record a whole lot more. You know... like when you're resting your elbow on your needs to take a shit.. that's what it's supposed to do. :D It's way easier to get control that way so would be great in the studio.

So please help me if you have an idea of what mic it is and if there's a way to create one of these mufflers for any condenser mic. Thanks guys!

It's a Shure SM7B. You can hold them like that because of the way the mic is designed, the bracket and internal suspension suppress quite a bit of handling noise. You can't do this with most condenser mics because of the handling noise and plosives/proximity effect.

Never used an SM7B but hopefully it suppresses enough to keep that stomping foot out of the track!!

That mic is actually known for being really good at suppressing external noise. Mine works really well for that. I think in one of the Whitechapel studio reports, Phil tracks all of his vocals with an SM7b with the monitors blaring

I smell autotune on the post processing chain

I don't think they use autotune that much... It's always just one vocal track with this band and some parts can sound very Deftones esque meaning out of tune (maybe intentionally). :D

But yeah it looks like an SM7B just like I thought. I tried doing screams sitting down today and it was soooo much easier to change my voice without doing "wrong" things. When standing up I usually end up putting more energy in the performance and end up messing up my voice in a few hours. But ofcourse this is my lack of technique and I know that.

Now someone please tell me why PRS doesn't make those baritone Custom 24 guitars as a production model? :cry:

Trust me, I have that wish too. That'd be the best thing since sliced bread.

+10,000. The only one they have is the Mike whatever from Staind Baritone. I don't like the non-carved body all that much. I ended up getting an se custom 24.

I have always like Chevelle. I'm gonna have a few guys try singing sitting down too. Hey if it's comfortable and it allows the best energy/ performance, go for it.