What's the best band you 'discovered' in 2004?

New bands I got to know this year and like alot are Wolf, Vision Divine, Sun Caged, Tad Morose, Seven Witches, Dreamscape and Masterplan.

Pyrus said:
Ayeka–what is MSG, and why does their lack of appearance discredit us?
MSG = Michael Schenker Group. Go d/l their first two albums, and then tell me why they are less 'Metal' than Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Dokken, Twisted Sister etc :p it's all meedly-meedly-meedly headbanging goodness!

Ayeka said:
MSG = Michael Schenker Group. Go d/l their first two albums, and then tell me why they are less 'Metal' than Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Dokken, Twisted Sister etc :p it's all meedly-meedly-meedly headbanging goodness!
Dude, I've been wondering that myself! I fucken LOVE Schenker's solo stuff, both the early stuff like Assault Attack (best album name ever, btw) and the later hard-rock type stuff. Once I get some more backup for my position, I'll harass Morrigan & Hellblazer about allowing Schenker on the site.

Pyrus said:
Dude, I've been wondering that myself! I fucken LOVE Schenker's solo stuff, both the early stuff like Assault Attack (best album name ever, btw) and the later hard-rock type stuff. Once I get some more backup for my position, I'll harass Morrigan & Hellblazer about allowing Schenker on the site.
And also AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult and Praying Mantis. I mean an Encyclopedia should be complete otherwise is just a dictionary :D

Heh, no chance on AC/DC and Blue Öyster Cult–been over that ground before. Personally, I think BÖC might be deserving of a slot, but I'm inclined to agree with the head management on AC/DC–they're definitely hard rock as opposed to metal. Dunno much about Praying MAntis.

I mention MSG to Morrigan, and she said she'd need some mp3s, so I'll send her some over Thanksgiving break when I can get some MSG stuff.

Dimmu Borgir
The Black Dahlia Murder
My Dying Bride
Satyricon
Bathory
Mayhem
Lacuna Coil (i know i know but i like them and im trying to learn Italian lol )

Pyrus said:
Heh, no chance on AC/DC and Blue Öyster Cult–been over that ground before. Personally, I think BÖC might be deserving of a slot, but I'm inclined to agree with the head management on AC/DC–they're definitely hard rock as opposed to metal. Dunno much about Praying MAntis.

I mention MSG to Morrigan, and she said she'd need some mp3s, so I'll send her some over Thanksgiving break when I can get some MSG stuff.

I always consider AC/DC metal... but if you go by today's standards no they aren't but eventually every band wont be considered metal in 20 or so years.. but they were when they first came out considering what was out at that time (they came out in 1973?) ... plus alot of their riffs were pretty "heavy" for its time so thats why i consider them metal.. more so then BOC to me at least... but thats just my opinion dont shoot me (wears my bulletproof vest lol ) .... :wave:

Pyrus said:
You're cool :D I trust you to pick some hard rockin' mp3s and correct this misjustice :Spin: :headbang:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Dimmu Borgir
The Black Dahlia Murder
My Dying Bride
Satyricon
Bathory
Mayhem
Lacuna Coil (i know i know but i like them and im trying to learn Italian lol )
UM,
Based on your list above, I'd suggest you check out the following bands (if you already haven't):

Katatonia - check out either "Tongihts Decisions", "Last Fair Deal...." or "Viva Emptiness". Fans of MDB & Lacuna Coil tend to love Katatonia.

the Gathering - this is the band that LCoil based it's sound on! Check out either "Mandylion" or "Nightime Birds". LCoil even chose to hire the fella who produced these two!

Emperor - if you like any black metal, then Emperor is a MUST! Check out either "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" or "Prometheus". GREAT band!

Anathema - they began playing the same style of doom as MDB. They have since morphed into something very different. The doomy feeling is still there, but the music is much mellower, much more melodic, and just damn emotional! Check out "Alternative 4", "A Natural Disaster", "Judgement".

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I always consider AC/DC metal... but if you go by today's standards no they aren't but eventually every band wont be considered metal in 20 or so years.. but they were when they first came out considering what was out at that time (they came out in 1973?) ... plus alot of their riffs were pretty "heavy" for its time so thats why i consider them metal.. more so then BOC to me at least... but thats just my opinion dont shoot me (wears my bulletproof vest lol ) .... :wave:
I'm with UM here. I don't want to start the famous M-A debate here (I already had my own personal clashes with Morrigan), so I'll be short, concise and will not talk again about this.

I believe a lot of revisionism is being doing these days. In the old days everything was either rock or metal, and IMO if we consider Deep Purple we should consider B.O.C. and AC/DC too (and I'm not fan of AC/DC at all).

Consider check www.bnrmetal.com and compare notes.
f050.gif

I believe the reasoning behind Deep Purple's admission vs. AC/DC's is historical importance–you can much more clearly hear the metal influence in "Highway Star" or "Child In Time" than you can in "Night Prowler" or "TNT." They're a lot closer to the traditional heavy metal sound (see: Judas Priest, Sad Wings of Destiny), and a lot more undeniably metal bands will name Deep Purple as an influence than AC/DC or even BÖC.

Pyrus said:
I believe the reasoning behind Deep Purple's admission vs. AC/DC's is historical importance–you can much more clearly hear the metal influence in "Highway Star" or "Child In Time" than you can in "Night Prowler" or "TNT." They're a lot closer to the traditional heavy metal sound (see: Judas Priest, Sad Wings of Destiny), and a lot more undeniably metal bands will name Deep Purple as an influence than AC/DC or even BÖC.
I fully endorse this message. :)

Wyvern said:
I believe a lot of revisionism is being doing these days. In the old days everything was either rock or metal, and IMO if we consider Deep Purple we should consider B.O.C. and AC/DC too (and I'm not fan of AC/DC at all).
I agree with the revisionism, I also feel part of the problem is people who only listen to extreme rarrgruaagh Metal and forget their roots, fools! :loco: