What's the Sym X album you hate the most?

What's the Sym X album you hate the most?

• V: The New Mythology Suite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Divine Wings of Tragedy

• Twilight in Olympus

• Total voters

Indestructible

New Metal Member
Nov 17, 2010
Haven't seen this being made before, so I'll start it. It's a kinda awkward question I know, but one that I'm curious to hear about.

Mine....Would be....Hmmm. Probably The Damnation game, just feels like a very rushed and low quality record to me.

Well, what about you?

I don't totally "hate" any SX album, but my least favourites are Paradise Lost and the self titled. I just say "this could've been better, if done this way" to all their albums, except for V and the self titled. This may seem confusing as the self titled is among my least favourites also. I don't feel like listening to it often, but it was done as it should have been done IMO, nonetheless.

The first self-titled one was okay, it wasn't bad because there's some interesting compositions on it and the singer was decent. But the one after it, The Damnation Game, feels kinda like a rushed record that was given too little effort into production, and the results could've been much better on that one, I think. I looked around the internet, and it was released about 6 months after the debut, which is an extremely short time for a metal band. I start to wonder what started these long gaps between their albums these days, lol.

The "rushed" albums, or big gaps between the albums can have lots of reasons, related to the band or other things like label company etc. I think being a fan is also wondering something about the band, and to get used to and like some mysterious things concerning it. :)

The "rushed" albums, or big gaps between the albums can have lots of reasons, related to the band or other things like label company etc. I think being a fan is also wondering something about the band, and to get used to and like some mysterious things concerning it. :)
Not a big fan of mystery, I prefer knowing things rather than living in assumptions but hey who cares, it's their pace and I'm okay with that.

Yeah, I should mention that I dont hate any of them. Its which do I like the least. :)
Me too, I should've made it "Which Sym X album do you like the least?" but I was 2 minutes away from going to bed so that's why the title came out cheesey like that, lol.

Not a big fan of mystery, I prefer knowing things rather than living in assumptions but hey who cares, it's their pace and I'm okay with that.

Well its always been like that with SX, either they dont have anyone who would do the marketing for them or they are simply just not interested focusing on that so much. One day an udate pops up saying "The new Symphony x album should be out then and then". And thats about it.

Well its always been like that with SX, either they dont have anyone who would do the marketing for them or they are simply just not interested focusing on that so much. One day an udate pops up saying "The new Symphony x album should be out then and then". And thats about it.
Makes sense I guess.

I voted for PL as well. As everyone else said, I don't hate any of their albums but rather the one I enjoy the least. Outside of the title track, Babylon, and Revelation that album does very little to pique my interest. Despite the hate of IC here I think it's a much more enjoyable (didn't say better so as to keep it subjective to my person views) album from start to finish.

Self-titled and Damnation would probably be next up but A Lesson Before Dying is still in my top 10 of their catalog even with Tyler on vocals. That elevates the entire album for me overall. Also, the first three tracks of Damnation are just plain better to me than the three tracks I listed from PL.

Interesting thread!

obviously...
I gave Iconoclast a listen recently. I'll be honest, it sounds really good, I don't understand what the criticism of that album is all about. Perhaps little keyboard presence as compared to earlier albums but it really didn't bother me much. Loud and aggressive just what I love, and wow, the production. Intense. Have you guys ever asked yourselves, "what's so terrible about iconoclast after all?". I want you to ask yourselves that question and answer it here now, please. :)

Well - for me if I had to ask myself that question, I'd answer "Nothing! It's just a perfect album :)"

I gave Iconoclast a listen recently. I'll be honest, it sounds really good, I don't understand what the criticism of that album is all about. Perhaps little keyboard presence as compared to earlier albums but it really didn't bother me much. Loud and aggressive just what I love, and wow, the production. Intense. Have you guys ever asked yourselves, "what's so terrible about iconoclast after all?". I want you to ask yourselves that question and answer it here now, please. :)

Well - for me if I had to ask myself that question, I'd answer "Nothing! It's just a perfect album :)"

Not enough keyboard wank, and too much swearing! :'(

Not enough keyboard wank, and too much swearing! :'(
Dunno, its probably just me then, but I personally found that to be amazing. I like swearing in metal, and I like loudness, and while I can appreciate keyboard presence, it's not necessarily bothering me that it's not there.

I'm a relatively new Sym X fan, which might explain why - I am attracted to newer albums more. For me PL and Iconoclast are like brother and sister, if that makes sense.

But we all listen to what we like, and overlook what we hate, that's life, in a nutshell. and I can understand the criticism of that album now, sort of.

For the recorrd, ive already made a post at to why I dislike it as much as I do. Its around here somewhere.

As for the swearing thing. I thinks its just lame(for lack of a better word). Good lyricists dont need swear words to make the music and lyrics intense,which is clearly what SyX was going for.

For the recorrd, ive already made a post at to why I dislike it as much as I do. Its around here somewhere.
Never seen that. Can't find it anywhere. A link would be nice, otherwise you're welcome to state why you dislike it again. I'm more than interested to hear.

As for the swearing thing. I thinks its just lame(for lack of a better word). Good lyricists dont need swear words to make the music and lyrics intense,which is clearly what SyX was going for.
That depends on how much you care about the lyrics. Some people really care about it a lot, some don't(like me), and that's because I focus on the music more than the words when I listen to what I listen.

"Copied and pasted from SX New Album Update"

"
Jesus Machine

Traps, my last posts have been pretty pointless and unnessesary and you seem to want to understand the dislike of IC, so ill help you with MY view on it.

For the record, I haven't listened to it in a long time so I might be a little off

First, the Lyrics. As others have said, SX have never had spectacular lyrics. The lyrics on IC are especially immature and childish. (Reread the earlier posts on "Rank you 5 favorite SX albums."

The songwriting. I can hardly hear Lepond at all. Go back and listen to their earlier stuff- particularly DG through TIO, and you will know what I mean. As for Pinnella, tjere is not enough of him. He is an amazing keyboard player and has entirely too small a role here. Its really not fair to him. And As for Michael Romeo, he didnt live up to expectations with the guitarworks. He is a thousand times the guitar player I am(and thats being generous to ME), yet some of his riff, such as Heretic or Children of a Faceless God, are written at an ability level that I could have come up with, unlike The Damnation Game for example. I just expected all musicians to be utilized to their best abilities and was greatly let down. And its all loud.. all the time. Its so boring to me.

So there you have it. I dont thinks its a *terrible* album, but i cant help but feel that they didnt put their best into AT ALL. Go ahead and love it, you have every right to. Music is subjective. But I personally think its their worst.

For the record, i DO like PL.

BTW, apologies for any typos, i wrote this from my phone."

Agreed. You can be downright shocking, profane, and impactful without using pottymouth words. Those who know me around here know I do say fuck a lot. But that doesn't mean I want to listen to juvenile lyrics that aren't very well formulated.

My problem with IC is the lyrics as well as the 'modern metal' tone and riffage. It threw the "progressive" side right out the window. And the production quality is horrible. Symphony X have never really enjoyed amazing production. Odyssey is probably the best they've done. So much of it now is just crushed and maximized that there's no dynamics in any of the songs, making the music boring, repetitive, and tiring to listen to.