What's your favourite Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz box?

What's your favourite Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz box?

• Boss Distortion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boss Super Distortion

• Boss Overdrive

• Boss Overdrive Distortion

• Behringer Ultra Overdrive

• Toadworks Mr Ed

• Voodoo Labs Super Fuzz

• Total voters

jgpgw

Post Metal Warrior
Mar 12, 2007
What's the best noisy box to use?
Any other suggestions?
My personal favourites are the Boss Super Overdrive for lesser noise and the Crowther Hot Cake for the big stuff... Both at once if the drummers getting too excited...

stomp boxes just dont measure up to a good amp. my hughes and kettner edition blue has great tone. especially now that im running it through a sonic maximizer.
~gR~

You're suppose to use a stombox with your amp. That's why the Tube Screamer is so popular. When you add that to your amp's overdrive (depending if it's a good amp - valves obviously) it tightens up the disortion so much.

Only when you've used a good overdrive pedal with a good valve amp's overdrive will you know what good tone is.

True, I use a hiwatt dr103, which is a one channel amp, with pedals. if you have the pre amp on the amp nice and high, slightly crackly when you play hard, you can really tighten it up with something nice like a hot cake... I love my amp

Metal zone is a really good pedal...i have a grunge(sort of muddy) also a digitech multi...the metal zone is my fav out of what i have had....:)

It cant really vote because ive not tried out eeevery one of those.

I use a Boss GT-8.. its OK, Mikael from Opeth uses GT-6, and he has a good tone, so it can get some nice sounds from it. But the guitarist with the tone i'd most like to achieve used no pedals/stomp boxes.. he just used a Peavey 5150 cab with Mesa Boogie preamp and something else..

You've got to try moving away from boxes that produce so much noise in the high end, you want booming mid range, especially low mid, the high end doesn't need distorting, boost the low mids and you'll get the heaviest sound...
But that's just me perhaps, I have come to hate the sound of white noise in a guitar sound...
Listen to Neurosis, Pelican, Capricorns, bands like that, so much heavier than these bands where you just here cheeeeecheeechaaa etc...
Brutality comes from punching someone in the balls, not by making buzzing noises in their ears...

I use a Digitech tonedriver in front of a crate blue voodoo. Boss's metalzone is a very distorted pedal and you can have alot of fun with. But they sound like ass recorded. You lose to much of your notes!

i use a digitech RP340 i believe and i definitely reccomend it to anyone who wants a good wah pedal with distorion (i think they are about 120 different type of guitar types you can set it to) settings on it.

ibanez ts808 or the maxon.just to tighten things up a little.metalzones are pure crap compared to the gain on my hughes and kettner though it does make a good door stop.

Once upon a time I was using a Line 6 Spider II head which gave me great metal tone right out of the head.

Then I decided to buy a Marshall MG100HDFX. With this head I ended up having to get a pedal. The Marshall just didn't have enough gain, so I bought a Boss Metal Zone. Its decent and I am satisfied so far.

I'm going to get myself a Line 6 Spider III rig as soon as possible.