When Quantizing Guitar & Drums, Do You Place Notes/Hits Exactly On Grid?

johnjm22

Dec 28, 2005
www.chrysalismusic.net
I can't seem to find it, but I remember reading somewhere around here that Joey doesn't place drum hits and guitar notes exactly on grid when editing. Is that true? or are you guys placing everything perfectly on the grid?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't see it in the FAQ.

I was referring to the point right at which the waveform begins, as opposed to the peak.
Like this:

Kick
6.jpg

Guitar
3.jpg

^That's how I've been quantizing. Just wondering if there's a different technique. I'm still learning.

I really don't think Joey edits every note (unless its a part played slower then normal speed or a spliced together riff that the guitarist cant play cleanly enough) and I really don't think you should be either. As far as im concerned you would be much better off recording guitar in short sections one bar or even less at a time perfecting that section and then moving on.

I don't necessarily plan quantizing the entire guitar track. This is just for a section of the song where the guitarist is chugging 16th notes. (It's the beginning part of this rough track: http://chrysalismusic.net/audio/05HTCSVP.mp3)

But that's not the point anyways. I'm asking about PLACEMENT of the notes when quantizing. I could of swore I read somewhere around here that there was technique for placing bass or guitar notes slightly ahead of, or behind the Kick to make things sound bigger/tighter. Maybe I'm just imaging things.

Your talking about pocketing. In an ideal situation you would want the transients to hit in this order kick-bass-guitar.

Any particular way to place these? like maybe the Kick is just BEFORE the grid line, the bass is ON the grid line, and the guitar would be just AFTER the gridline?

Or do you (or anyone else who follows this guideline) usually start the kick transient ON the grid..?

When I am choosing to edit / move something, I move the start of the wav form. Once that is lined up to where I want it, then I trim left end (revealing more of the pick attack). Pick attack is meant to be early or ahead of the beat, if you ask me. With drums its pretty much the same thing except the transient is usually part of the waveform start anyway so there is no such thing as a "pick attack" equivalent with drums.