Where do i start??

Lasse

Jun 17, 2004
I am a big Opeth fan, and i've heard good things about Katatonia. I was wondering on what songs are their best??

Well since you're into Opeth then i suppose you should be recommended tracks that featured Mikael on vocals. Needless to say find and get Brave Murder Day as soon as humanly possible which features Mikael as well as Sounds of Decay. If you want to sample some songs first go to www.katatonia.com and go to the releases section. there are a few song samples there. My faves are Endtime, Brave, Murder and Nowhere from the 2 albums i mentioned above.

RuinerXL said:
Brave Murder Day. You need Brave Murder Day.
Agreed, best way to go to start off with Katatonia, if youre an Opeth fan is Brave Murder Day.

Then move on to Sounds of Decay, Discouraged Ones, and then work your way through chronologically to get a better feel.

Overall, Katatonia's style is very different to that of Opeth, so dont expect similarities. But they have a heaviness all their own (see some of the riffing on Discourages Ones, it's damn good slow doomish stuff)

Brave Murder Day definately, its their best. although to be honest, i like mikaels vocals in Opeth, but they don't really fit with BMD at all, even jonas's growls would have been better imo, but thats the only flaw of the album, and it still doesnt prevent it from being their best. Also pick up Discouraged Ones, if you are into really gloomy stuff, as you can see from my poll. its thier 2nd best. though you cant really go wrong with Katatonia.

Buy 'Brave Murder Day' and 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' at the same time. Both are amazing albums.

If you are looking for something Opethlike, then get Brave murder day. If you want something really, really good, get Last fair deal gone down or Viva emptiness. Everything is worth your time and money, though.

Agreed.

I think if you have an immense appreciation for Opeth(damnation as well) then you tastes are varied enough to truly enjoy pretty much anything Katatonia has put out. Check out Brave Murder Day and go from there, or Check out Viva Emptiness and go from there. Katatonias sound has changed alot over the years so if you dont like one CD chances are you might like another.

Everyone has varied opinions on Katatonia's albums. I think an interesting thing to do is check out individual songs from all of the albums (here is where P2P programs,or friends, can help bands) and decide which is the most appealing. Chances are you'll have a hard time deciding and eventually get them all...you need a starting point though. The most opeth-like is Brave Murder Day, but it's not a good representation of their current style. Some songs to check out

Nowhere, Brave, Sleeper, I Break, Deadhouse, Stalemate, Criminals, Evidence, Black Session, Teargas, gateways of barevement, endtime, tonight's music, for my demons that should be good for now

i think that if you are Opeth-fan,you have to start at first with the old katatonic stuff.I have firstly discovered Opeth with 'Still life' and shortly after this i was listening to 'Tonight's decision'..in spite of all discrepancy and differences in the ideas and the style i liked very much the both albums,at this moment i'm a fan of Opeth also,but Katatonia ripped open a deeper abysm in my soul..i think that they created a very good albums together,the junction between the katatonic music and the vocals of Mike are just amazing on BMD and Sounds of decay,everytime when i'm listening to the 04:10-04:30 minute of Nowhere i have to crash my head against the wall..
..but i think that the advice of insidethefall is the best-you have just to check out songs from each album, listen to some samples on the site of Katatonia and to choose something,or not to choose and buy all...

Definitely BMD. I believe it is blasphemy to not have this album and call yourself a fan of this band.

Also... Thought BMD came with For Funerals to Come instead of Sounds of Decay...