Which changes would you make in Opeth's sound for your personal taste?

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
...or maybe something you'd like to see the band doing.

ps: sorry for my poor english...it's not my first!

so, my answer is (a smal list):

1 - Mike performing clean, but agressive vocals.
2 - Smaller songs.
3 - Another concept album (please, with lyrics done out of the studio)
4 - Mike and Peter (or the whole band) writing music together like they did in the beginning.
5 - A heavy album with clean vox only.

Åkerfeldt/Lindgren co-written twin guitars stuck into the new proggier stuff.....

morningrise bass lines/bass sound

Concept album

more clean vox with heavy guitars

more heavy vocals with softer guitars

longer instrumental passages (think orchid)

more of everything!!!!

Reactions: TheFourthHorseman
strange_aeons said:
Åkerfeldt/Lindgren co-written twin guitars stuck into the new proggier stuff.....

morningrise bass lines/bass sound

Concept album

more clean vox with heavy guitars

more heavy vocals with softer guitars

longer instrumental passages (think orchid)

more of everything!!!!

That was a very ambitious post. :tickled: :)

I am afraid that my attempts to try to make it better would thus ruin it. The concept that Opeth has is much different than the typical band and therefore very fragile.

Now look at the Alien Ant Farm cover of Smooth Criminal. They should have had an acoustic stand-up bass. That would have been awsome.

a concept album.
more acoustic parts, maybe even try one "death" voice with the acoustic guitars sound.

nothing else... just to keep the way they play.

pd: although i think they wont read this.

Go back to the left/right guitars (like the first 3 albums... it doesn't have to be harmonic, I just prefer them separated), and make a concept again.

It could be very cool if Opeth made a classic hevay metal album, with mellow songs and a more agressive yet clean sound from Mikael.

1. Songs more epic in nature, and thus more thought-out.

2. Less experimental dabbling and more evolution as a band.

3. Use of more effects in the music... for example lounge music style piano/strings/saxophone.

4. More intense and layered segments, with a more thematic approach.

I know I'm asking for alot and I know it will definately never happen, so I should probably shut up and try to implement those things into my own band :).

1 - Mike performing clean, but agressive vocals.
2 - Smaller songs.
3 - Another concept album (please, with lyrics done out of the studio)
4 - Mike and Peter (or the whole band) writing music together like they did in the beginning.
5 - A heavy album with clean vox only.
OK, those are fine things to want, but they would take away from the Opeth we know as a band. What makes them so awesome is the juxtaposition of death and clean vocals, the death vocals aggressive and the clean vocals soft and beautiful. Having a heavy album with clean songs or just smaller songs in general would also detract from the band's overall sound. IMO.

Another concept album would be nice, with lyrics done out of the studio yes, and I would like the whole band to get back into writing(no Steve this doesn't mean you). The jazzy stuff should come back, like in Credence or Benighted at 3:00. Acoustic prog-rock like Damnation is fine, but it doesn't hold a candle to Opeth's jazzy folksy stuff.