Which is Opeths most accessible album?

Cutter

Fuck consensus reality
Dec 19, 2001
Sydney
Visit site
I think it depends on ones existing taste in metal, or music for that matter. I was into thrash and death stuff like early sepultura and morbid angel, when I first heard Orchid...and it hooked me completely.

But some new fans don't like their old stuff, preferring SL or BWP. Deliverance, BWP or MAYH are probably heavier than Orchid or Morningrise yet more accessible because of the relatively orthodox song structure and riffs. Whereas Orchid and MR have a more complex, somewhat convuluted song structure...so might be a bit harder to get into for some people. Anyway, these are just my thoughts.

Any song that has alot of clean vox, seems to work well and an introduction to Opeth. I've had most success with Still Life and BWP when it comes to getting new fans.

Originally posted by Smitty
Blackwater Park.

Yes. I think after thinking about it for a bit, BWP is the obvious choice. Heavy yet groove orientated at times, lenghthy quite passages or clean vocals, easy to follow.

Well, I didn't like death stuff at all, really, and got hooked on Morningrise just fine. But I like weird things. BWP seems to be the one most liked by people who normally wouldn't like it, from spreading the music around.

The songs off of Orchid have a stupid and rediculous structure. The album is just a bunch of cool riffs thrown together in my opinion, whicj in fairness doesnt take much thought. I do however like the album, it has a feeling which i do not get from any of the other albums.

The more recent albums are much more thought out and coherent. I personally prefer the writing approach of the newer stuff as it flows well also.

Blackwater Park, purely because of the first 4 tracks.
I would have said Still Life but only a few songs on it are catchy, whereas almost all of BWP is really catchy. Deliverance is way too brutal in some parts and way too 70's progrock in others, so i think Deliverance is probably the LEAST accessible Opeth album.

ya BWP seems to be the one to start it off for some people. i had my dad listen to Orchid and he said it was slightly intresting. then i put in BWP and hes like whos this i said Opeth and my sister asked him he liked them and he said ya there pretty good.

I thought you meant accessible as in which CD is mostly stocked in stores. :rolleyes: I think for someone who's never heard death metal before, My Arms... and for someone who has, My Arms... :lol: It's a great intro CD IMO. After the intro CD, go where your personal taste takes you!

Blackwater Park

Can anyone who pays attention to more popular music tell me what's the heaviest band that's really made it into the mainstream? Anything with real growls? Ill Nino has some pretty heavy vocals, and I was under the impression they were numetal.. I'm a little cooped up in my Opethdom, s'pose.

thinking.gif
Good question, Duvall.