Which version of "Unending Waves" do you like better?

Which rendition of "Unending Waves" do you like better?

• Idle (EP)

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No Reply

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

Aaron A.

\v/
Dec 15, 2004
Hawaii
Personally, I like the original (I'd think it'd be the original, anyway) on the Idle EP better.

What do you think? (Jesse, you answer too!)

Aaron A. said:
Personally, I like the original (I'd think it'd be the original, anyway) on the Idle EP better.

What do you think? (Jesse, you answer too!)

I think a lot of people suffer from the "anything earlier, especially on a demo is better" syndrome. It's an interesting phenomenon which seems strangely prevalent in the metal community.. not saying this is the case here.. but it makes me wonder..

I think the No Reply version is far superior, it's ridiculously tighter and more professionally played.. a better recording.. etc. I suppose one could argue Idle has some lofi recording/playing that gives it some special vibe.. but I'll take the better executed version.

jesse said:
I think a lot of people suffer from the "anything earlier, especially on a demo is better" syndrome. It's an interesting phenomenon which seems strangely prevalent in the metal community.. not saying this is the case here.. but it makes me wonder..

I think the No Reply version is far superior, it's ridiculously tighter and more professionally played.. a better recording.. etc. I suppose one could argue Idle has some lofi recording/playing that gives it some special vibe.. but I'll take the better executed version.
This does make a lot of sense, I won't argue that. I listened to the Idle version a lot first, so that has something to do with it, I'm sure. I'll listen to No Reply's "Unending Waves" more; I didn't give it as much of a chance as Idle's.

Well, i heard the "no reply" version first and it wasnt till about a year later that i heard the "idle" version. So im gonna say "no Reply" versions better.
Maybe i would have thought differently if i heard "idle" first. Who knows

I think it all boils down to the version that you hear first. For me, it was the 'Idle' version, and so that is the one that I like best. Although the 'No Reply' version is obviously tighter with better playing and production...I still love the old feeling of the demo version of "Unending Waves."

I'm cranking them both now regardless :headbang:

wasnt there a version of that song on the long forgotten demo. if that is indeed the song i am thinking about i liked that version better.

hey erik i will sell you the original for 200$, with all proceeds going straight to the band off course. ....haha nah couldnt do that to you guys. in other news anyone ever heard of some band from greece called naer mataron. they kick ass. some sort of syphonic black metal.

I dunno, its tricky. I heard the one of no reply ages before the original, its better sound quality, and thats probably gonna win it for me. I like the sound of the guitars on the Idle version, but the vocals sound a bit odd.

If the Idle version was as perfectly produced as the No Reply version, I think I might prefer it.

After listening to No Reply's version a lot more, I have to say that it's better overall.

I still really like Idle's, though...

My vote is for the Idle version. It's faster, and it has the lead bit at the end, the lack of which I think spoils the No Reply version a little. The only bit of the No Reply version I prefer is when it kicks back in at about 1:45 or so - slightly better executed on the re-recording.