Whoracle, What's So Great About It?

Freddy Krueger

The Dream Child
Jun 24, 2002
Hell
Visit site
I'm writing this now because I never understood why everyone enjoyed Whoracle so much. Most fans put it up there along with TJR, and I don't see how that works at all... I thought the guitar tune was too harsh, the drums sounded like shit, and the vocals were a major letdown.

Granted there are great tracks on the album like Jotun, but the rest just don't seem to be up to In Flames calibur... Personally I prefer Clayman and Colony to this one.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Whoracle, and why so many enjoy the sound of it?

Really dude its too subjective, because I wonder the same thing why people always put Colony up there at the top. For each person we have our faves.

But personally I thought Bjorn did an excellent job on the drumming and I think this is Anders best vocal offering of any of the albums. Itd prolly fall somewhere around my 3rd favorite In Flames album behind TJR and Clayman

Final_Vision said:
Really dude its too subjective, because I wonder the same thing why people always put Colony up there at the top. For each person we have our faves.

That's true, another thing I don't get is why people think Colony is so weak, I thought it was one of their more catchy and better guitaring albums... Good work on it.

Don't get me wrong or anything, I do enjoy whoracle, but I just found it to be a tad bit weaker than everyone makes it out to be.

To me it's kind of a combination of Colony and TJR. It kind of has some elements of their old sound/production, but you can see where it is taking them. It has great melody (as does all IF albums). The guitars play some really catchy harmoies and leads, the vocals are cool to me (more deathy than on future albums), and the songs are well written. I just love tracks like Dialogue with the Stars and The Hive! :headbang:

Lots of good points here..
I do feel the same about Whoracle as Freddy does, overall, I think the other IF albums are much more creative than Whoracle, but Whoracle does have some great songs!
but F_V is right - to each his own.. I have trouble understanding why some people like Gore/Grind music, but hey, if thats what you like, so be it

Whoracle does lack a lot of soloing compared to Colony or Clayman. There is a fast solo on Morphing Into Primal but you really can't hear it. I still think it's my favorite IF album though just because it was the first album that I heard heard all the way through from them and I listened to it about 20 times before I got my next IF album.

I like Whoracle because it is a blend of the older and newer styles of In Flames. It is a bit less melodic than The Jester Race, but it is more raw sounding than Colony and Clayman. it is pretty muc ha matter of taste. It was the last of the old in flames lineup, which had finally reached its best blending point. Colony was a lineup with some conflicts in their styles that hadn't been streamlined yet, which is why that is my least favorite IF album. Whoracle seems to be put together perfectly.

But I still think Episode 666 is overrated.

Steve

Steve420 said:
But I still think Episode 666 is overrated.

Steve

Thank you! I though I was the only person in the metal world who thought this. I find it to be the most boring track on the album, still good, but...

Anyways, as far as the rest of the album goes I always found it to be the perfect combination of the old complex shit and the newer poppy shit. I always figured Glenn and Johan wanted to keep the music like it was, while the rest of them wanted to go more mainstream....the result is a damn fine album, imo.

I also happen to have very fond memories of the time period around when I first heard the album, so that probably adds to my enjoyment of Whoracle as much as anything else...

Whoracle has amazing song writing on there. If you don't see what is special, I think you are strange. Listen to the guitar work, play along with it. It's great. "Dialogue with the Stars" and "The Hive" are my favorites. And lack of soloing? There's better solos on there than Colony or Clayman IMO.

for those of you who said episode 666 is over rated....youre avsolutely right!!!!! that song is fucking sooooo over rated, it's sick. it's not bad, not at all, but it really isnt that good, not even close to being the best song they have let alone the best on whoracle!

Well my turn to talk :D. Whoracle has alot of solid songs IMO. Jotun, Food For the Gods, Morphing into Primal, etc,etc. The only problem I have with the album is also the production. If some of the songs were sped up, and the production was a bit better it would be up there on my list with TJR.

Nick

Its my 2nd favorite In Flames album after Clayman. The vocals are alot deathier, and in some ways especially on Jotun and Food for the Gods the music is much more appealing than it is on their later stuff, not to mention hands down it has the best cover art of any IF cd. In fact the only complaint I have about the album is the lyrcs in the booklet are too damn hard to read.

pundarboris said:
agree. But dont you guys like the old stuffs. lunar strain and subteranean. just woundering

Of course man! Stand Ablaze is my favourite In Flames song
jumping-smiley-022.gif