Why do we need computers?

Mr. Hyde

Guitar, Bass
Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
To make our lives hell...
...as I sit at the library typing this and wondering why I didn't make a back up on my computer before the hard drive went and decided it wanted to be a paperweight...
Anyhow...my computer finally fixed me but good. Anyone know any cheap ways to retrieve data from a drive that, at a minimun, has a bad fat or whatever windows me uses to keep track of the files, possibly damaged but I can see the directories on the disk but can't access them. Any ideas...?

7thSon I forgot to check out that band. Thanks for reminding me.

See Ya!

Btw...About Bruce's rant...I was lucky enough to be at the show... It ended up being a great show and he thanked those of us, minus the bastard, who are true fans. Maybe they'll be back.

Constantine said:
Sorry I can't help you Mr Hyde. Not that great with computers.

Nice to see a post. Would be even more happy if we were doing some songs.
take care
Constantine:headbang:
I would like to see the IMG do something as well Constantine. Maybe it's a sign of the times with the recording industry going after everyone that people have gone deeper into the net to escape.

See Ya!

Hyde,
There are sites on the web with utilities you can use when your hard-drive craps out. My old laptops harddrive just crapped out last week...lucky for me, it was just a websurfing box so nothing important was on it. It was also very old, so I went ahead and bought a new laptop (which I am using now!).

I have yet to hear this infamous rant. All the links I find for it are dead. :(

The IMG is dead right now huh? Such a shame. I just went out and bought myself a new acoustic guitar too (ovation - on sale at guitar center)...and am still seriously considering buying the line6 variax guitar....but with no recording going on...it seems a bit of a waste of cash... Maybe we should collectively kick ourselves in the ass and get something..anything going?

rabies said:
Hyde,
There are sites on the web with utilities you can use when your hard-drive craps out. My old laptops harddrive just crapped out last week...lucky for me, it was just a websurfing box so nothing important was on it. It was also very old, so I went ahead and bought a new laptop (which I am using now!).

I have yet to hear this infamous rant. All the links I find for it are dead. :(

The IMG is dead right now huh? Such a shame. I just went out and bought myself a new acoustic guitar too (ovation - on sale at guitar center)...and am still seriously considering buying the line6 variax guitar....but with no recording going on...it seems a bit of a waste of cash... Maybe we should collectively kick ourselves in the ass and get something..anything going?
Hey Rabies. I kept the old drive in the hopes that I'll somehow access the data in the future. Luckily I didn't have a whole lot of stuff that wasn't already backed up. It just happens that I was experimenting with some midi stuff and sound fonts at the time and didn't have that stuff backed up yet.
I've installed the new hard drive and all the basic software but I don't know if I'm going to bother with it anymore for recording.
Unless,...
Basically we need a drummer right? I know that between you, Constantine, 7th and myself we could manage to get something going. I have access to a very basic drum kit right now, and I might be able to come up with a simple drum track. The thing is that I've never tried playing along to a cd and I really don't know if I could pull it off. I might be much worse than I think once I try to record myself.

Good to see a new post.
Later all!

Oh yeah, Rabies...

Is there a way to get Windows to quit trying to boot from the bad drive and/or not try to do anything with the old drive until I want it to. The last time I tried to access it Windows just kinda waited and waited and waited while it tried to read the bad drive.

...and it's not even in the computer right now because of the issue mentioned above but I was wondering if you know some trick to get windows to behave the way I want it to if I try to put the drive back in to snatch some data from it.

Was it waiting and waiting when you had both drives in? If that is the case, you need to go into your BIOS and turn the drive off. Windows is trying to find it because your BIOS is reporting it is there.

Oh...and lay down a simple drum track!
If its a simple song, there should be no need to play along to the CD. I am sure the rest of us can match your beat just fine....unless...you know...you are all over the place... :)

Mr. Hyde said:
To make our lives hell...
...as I sit at the library typing this and wondering why I didn't make a back up on my computer before the hard drive went and decided it wanted to be a paperweight...
Anyhow...my computer finally fixed me but good. Anyone know any cheap ways to retrieve data from a drive that, at a minimun, has a bad fat or whatever windows me uses to keep track of the files, possibly damaged but I can see the directories on the disk but can't access them. Any ideas...?

7thSon I forgot to check out that band. Thanks for reminding me.

See Ya!

Btw...About Bruce's rant...I was lucky enough to be at the show... It ended up being a great show and he thanked those of us, minus the bastard, who are true fans. Maybe they'll be back.
For making our lives hell and keeping in touch with friends... Not something I'm very good at eh? :erk:

Daft question but have you run Norton Disk doctor on it? Might help?