Why I hate windows....

Yeah probably best to re-seat the ram, and it could also be the HDD failing. How old is it? Happened to me awhile back aswell. Where sometimes it would load and other times it wouldnt. When it doesnt load go into the bios and have a look to see if the hdd is being detected.

Well last time it just kept error and so on till it ate shit, same time before, never had these probs on old PC.

And tonight, turned it on, up come the blue screen of death a few mins into it, and then the HDD went missing for fucks sake. then turned it off for half an hour, turn the PC back on, and it is working, I am typing this on the wife's laptop, because I thought my HDD ate shit cause it had never happened to me before.

So is XP just not good for this sys and I should move on to Vista, or maybe back to good ole reliable 95, never had a problem there

And this is how long after reformatting? How are you formatting the disk pre-install? In my experience, a Windows install is less likely to be buggy if you use the regular format option that takes forever and not the "quick" format. If the system is old enough that you used to run 95 on it, it might just be time for a new hard drive (and/or RAM maybe). You can get a hard drive that's far bigger than anything from that time period for pretty cheap nowadays.

If XP is giving you trouble, I really don't think Vista is going to be much better. It will probably be better in time, but for now, it's not exactly a perfect picture of stability and functionality.

If you use Vista you can't then save a file then open it on anything but vista. It also won't let you open anything from XP etc so sending documents to others is out.

This isn't entirely accurate. In fact, one might almost say it's wrong. I'm pretty confidant about that as I'm the only Vista user in my company, and we shoot documents around all day long with no issues.

It *is* true that people with older versions can't send a Microsoft Office 2007 document but there's nothing stopping you saving in the older version in Office 2007.

Well the Motherboard and cpu and vid card are maybe 12 months old, the ram about 2 years, the hdd as old as the ram. What I don't get is that I have a sys I built in 03 I think that is still going strong now being abused by my kids, same install from build never had a fucking problem, I don't get modern PC's

It's exactly how it's supposed to be used! HAHA! Trust me, you'll find copies of Vista on the end of coathangers and in dumpsters all over the western suburbs if you look hard enough! :D

I agree about the Mac thing too - it's neither better nor worse than Windows is, really, save that you have more limited hardware to work with. That can mean less problems because there's less combinations of things to go wrong, but if you're comparing a new Mac to a new Dell, there's really no difference other than the price, and that's not anywhere near as much as it used to be. It all comes down to what you feel most comfortable using since most of the stuff you can do on one platform you can do on the other.

yeah my sarcasm didn't come across properly in that mac comment... I personally think Mac's are overrated and overpriced.

Tim, I disagree. It's the software that comes with OS X which makes it worthwhile to me - iLife, specifically. If you have a young family, or like to take a lot of photos and video, then iPhoto and iVideo are high-quality, free programs which are great to use. And I find Spaces helps me with multi-tasking too.

Each to their own, naturally :)

That's right - I have about ZERO use for any of that stuff and would be just bloat I'd want to try and get off the machine somehow (much like all of the crap that XP and even moreso Vista dumps on the computer too). Just purely talking about the OS and the hardware, though, I reckon it's all pretty similar these days, and now that Mac can run Windows through Bootcamp, the line is even more blurred. It's almost worth getting Mac hardware to run XP/Vista if you prefer that OS to OSX because it's quality stuff.

Disclaimer though: OSX is a great platform. I just don't care much for it personally, which is what I was getting at before. :)