Windows XP now dual boots on Intel Macs

SPLASTiK

Jan 1, 2004
Alaska
Onmac.net held a competetion to give money to the first person to get Windows XP running on a new Intel based Apple Computer and be able to dual boot with Mac OS X.

Some thought this might be counterproductive seeing as if people shared info it might happen faster. Several people contributed their own money to see it happen. The deadline was set March 30th and after that the money was to be donated to charity. At press time: $13,854, with donations still welcome I think.

It only boots XP SP2 right now but is successful on the current line of Intel Macs except the 20" iMac thus far. The drivers for the graphics cards aren't working properly yet, but besides that it's pretty much fully functional with the entire Intel line it sounds with drivers floating around for WiFi, ethernet and audio etc.

That's pretty awesome, if the bugs get worked out and audio drivers start working it'd be nice to be able to use both Mac-only and PC-only audio tools.

Genius Gone Insane said:
I'm totally new to this, so pardon me if this is a ridiculous question: Is the reverse possible, running a Mac OS on a PC?

Yes, it's already been done but it's somewhat buggy I hear. People are having trouble getting Audio to work, and some other things here and there. It's expected to get better as more and more MacIntel aps are being released instead of relying on Rosetta or whatever it's called.

http://www.osx86project.org
The website is down right now, probably due to the massive traffic they were getting today because XP finally boots on a Mac.

Torniojaws said:
So I guess they abandoned the dual-boot Mac/Win project.

If you mean Apple when you say "they," that's not the case here. Apple/Microsoft made a deal to allow users to dual boot Windows Vista on the Intel Macs (once Vista is released.) Until then, though, there's no official support for legacy versions of Windows.

Kazrog said:
If you mean Apple when you say "they," that's not the case here. Apple/Microsoft made a deal to allow users to dual boot Windows Vista on the Intel Macs (once Vista is released.) Until then, though, there's no official support for legacy versions of Windows.
did they really? wow.

Kazrog said:
Apple/Microsoft made a deal to allow users to dual boot Windows Vista on the Intel Macs (once Vista is released.)

What? Got a link for that? I haven't heard that anywhere.

I've heard Microsoft isn't going to release an EFI version of Vista though and the Intel Macs use EFI.

SPLASTiK said:
What? Got a link for that? I haven't heard that anywhere.

I've heard Microsoft isn't going to release an EFI version of Vista though and the Intel Macs use EFI.

Vista will support EFI and Microsoft is explicitly supporting Intel Macs. This was announced at MacWorld in January.

SPLASTiK said:
Microsoft said this month no EFI though except for the server edition due sometime in 2007...

And this article: http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/03/14/setbacks/index.php

Dated a few days ago on MacWorld you'd think would mention it if they planned to support...

I can promise you that MS is going to sell a new version of Virtual PC for Intel Macs, which will use a soft-image of the BIOS and run Windows Vista at full native speed on Macs. MS wants their OS on as many computers as possible, they don't care what hardware you want to use.

Ignore the media spin, it makes business sense for them to do this.

this is kind of on topic.....does anyone know when steinberg will be releasing their universal version of apps for the new intel macs. im getting one in a month or so and want to get rid of my hand me down copy and buy sx3 but i want to run it native not through rosetta. any info would be great thnx.

jordan

No, there was a similar competition for getting it to work with a similar prize ~12000 USD.

Dual booting on an MacIntel with WinXP/Mac OS

Disconnekt said:
What I really want to know is...

If so, I can build myself a very inexpensive, very good computer and still run my favorite audio OS on it.

It doesn't work as well on PCs, because it's an unsupported hack. You will have driver issues, etc. You're better off getting a Mac Mini if you want cheap hardware to run Mac OS X on.

Kazrog said:
It doesn't work as well on PCs, because it's an unsupported hack. You will have driver issues, etc. You're better off getting a Mac Mini if you want cheap hardware to run Mac OS X on.

I need cheap, high-performance hardware, though... and PCI slots. :p Basically, at some point, I want to build a bitchin' PTHD rig, and since I'll be spending so much on the Digi hardware, I don't want to have to spend an assload on a PowerMac as well (but I still want to run it on OSX if possible). Maybe by the time I'm ready to actually do that, fiscally speaking, OSX will support third-party systems. Or maybe not. In any case, that will be several years down the road (plus more if I have to buy a PowerMac too).

Disconnekt said:
I need cheap, high-performance hardware, though... and PCI slots. :p Basically, at some point, I want to build a bitchin' PTHD rig, and since I'll be spending so much on the Digi hardware, I don't want to have to spend an assload on a PowerMac as well (but I still want to run it on OSX if possible). Maybe by the time I'm ready to actually do that, fiscally speaking, OSX will support third-party systems. Or maybe not. In any case, that will be several years down the road (plus more if I have to buy a PowerMac too).

Apple experimented with third-party systems in the mid 90s, and it was almost their undoing. If Steve Jobs had not come back in 1997, fired a lot of people, and immediately discontinued third party hardware, Apple would be nothing but a memory.

Opening up OS X to third-party systems would turn Apple from a billion dollar hardware company into a million dollar software company. It will never happen. One of the reasons Macs work so well is that the hardware platform is (relatively) closed and semi-proprietary. This gives Apple more control over the entire experience.

If you want to run Pro Tools HD on cheaper hardware, you should look into a used G5 on eBay.

I bet you love the guys like me who bring back long time burried topics, especially those "MAC vs PC" dear ones :heh:

Somethins i found on the Web:

"Umberto Eco, the Italian semiologist, compared Macs and PCs to the two main branches of the Christian faith: Catholics and Protestants.

The Mac is Catholic, he wrote in his back-page column of the Italian news weekly, Espresso, in September 1994. It is cheerful, friendly, conciliatory, it tells the faithful how they must proceed step by step to reach — if not the Kingdom of Heaven — the moment in which their document is printed.

The Windows PC, on the other hand, is Protestant. It demands difficult personal decisions, imposes a subtle hermeneutics upon the user, and takes for granted the idea that not all can reach salvation. To make the system work you need to interpret the program yourself: A long way from the baroque community of revelers, the user is closed within the loneliness of his own inner torment."

You can't really compare computers to religion. Umberto Eco is a smart guy, but his analogy here is retarded.

Time for cyber-jihad!

Apple's won the war as far as pro audio and music production is concerned.