Working with music you don't want to: How do keep sanity?

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Hi!

This is the first "big" project I've got going on ever since I got into recording stuff, which is basically to record 8 black metal songs. The problem is that I need to lay the drums myself because the guy I'm recording plays everything else but drums (trust me, it may sound like he is awesome through my words but... he doesn't even know how to figure out the BPM of his own songs), so that means I have to practise to the scratch tracks that we recorded today along with the drums I programmed, and then lay the drums.

Now... as I may have said before (sorry to any black metal fanatic in here), but I HATE black metal. HATE!. It's all about the money though and I could really use some to buy the software I use so I can go 100% legal, so that's what keeps me going really.

Question is though... when you guys work with something you just want to vomit all over, what do you do to keep your sanity? Seriously, his black metal riffs sound all the same, lack imagination, is played in the same tempo, same notes etc etc, and the WORST thing is... they actually get stuck in my head. I can't seem to get rid of it :| I'm listening to Jamiroquai right now, it's good... clears my head a bit. Funk baby funk!

The worst thing is... I'm actually a tad scared that I might somehow get entangled in this shit and actually start liking it and become one of those depressed assholes who think satan and darkness is the answer to a "happy" life. Seriously...

On the other hand... when this project is completed, I'll have all software I use in a legal form! Just hope I only pay with cash and not with my sanity.

So yeah, I dunno what I want from this thread really, maybe just some of your similiar stories or whatever but maybe I just wanted to vent out a little like some people have done lately :)

(There's more to this story that makes me worried too, like the fact that this black metal dude's record label guy (which is an underground record label) is depressed about everything and he says he will probably commit suicide when he has released a few more of this guy's CDs, as he thinks his role in life has been completed once he does that... etc. Just makes me sick...)

About the record label part, I almost lol'd.

The best advice I can give you is just detach yourself from it emotionally, and keep invested in it professionally.
You may fucking hate the music, but just get on with it. Even if he releases a turkey, you need to maintain the idea that at least you'll get another well produced, well mixed and well mastered CD to add to that portfolio of yours, and you get money to pay for shit with afterwards. The rest of the world laughs at his shitty black metal, and you get cash. It's win win.

Yea the record label guy seems to be totally sick. Well, I'm thankful I don't have to meet him. This guy I'm recording mentioned that the label guy had some sort of condition, sort of like autism, which makes him focus on only one thing in life and devote all his time to it, which happens to be black metal in his case. He has apparently said that he will feel like he has done enough in life when he has released a few more CDs, and then he will end his own life. True or not, it still feels totally fucked up and doesn't really get me in the "Hey, we're gonna make an awesome record!"-mood.

About the portfolio, yea that's true but it's still gonna end up sounding like crap since... well you know how underground black metal people want things to sound right? Their opinion of "awesome" sound is like ... reverb on anything that makes a sound and totally dead sound overall.

Well I'm still a student so this is pretty cool for some extra cash... the mixing won't be hard at all, so once I've laid the drums it should be easy mode. It's just those fucking riffs that get stuck in my head... gaaah, even Jamiroquai's "You aaare my looooove"-singing doesn't help... only temporarily haha.

The guy I'm recording seems to be waking up atleast... he said he's getting tired of this kind of music after playing it for 3 years. I knew this day would come, and now I'm waiting for my old guitarist to realize the same thing :)

I remember when I was in like... 8th grade or something, the majority of the guys in the class were listening to Dimmu Borgir and shit, and I noticed even back then that they were talking more about the band members instead of the actual music. That is how kids get caught up in black metal I guess... by image, and the "coolness" of "darkness". Once they realize that and see past it, nothing's left other than a scrambling audio track and totally powerless vocals that sound like a cat choking.

In those situations I just flip the producer switch on my hearing and all I get is sound quality. I don't notice the shitty music, just if the recording is sounding good or not.

You're in black metal for the money... wow.

Now that's quite an awkward statement.

Sounds like being in hip-hop for the intellectual challenge.

You're in black metal for the money... wow.

Now that's quite an awkward statement.

Sounds like being in hip-hop for the intellectual challenge.

:lol::lol::lol: (although I have to say some underground hip-hop artists are pretty damn sharp)

C'omon Gojira.... you didn't like Black Metal before... you're taking this job for the money... then you can act like a real whore and stop yelling about how fat you costumer is....

Just play a blast beat through the song. That's probably the easiest thing for you to do. The key ingredient in black metal is hate, so take all the hate you feel about the riffs, and turn it into SUPER FAST BLAST BEATS hell yes.

There's nothing wrong with good black metal...

Release your hate as christraping backing vox.

Other than that, just charge to reflect your workload. That's the way I get through the slogfests. If the band are truly dragging their weight around and the music is horrid and needs a ton of production work to make it come out, charge accordingly and just keep in mind that after you've slaved through the sessions you can buy yourself a new set of pres, amps or whatever else, which will improve on the work you do with the actual good artists.

charge to make it worth it

i charge by the day

if the guys are good, the day goes quick, a lot gets done, i still work the same amount
if the guys are bad, the day goes slow, not a lot gets done, more money is made based on lack of talent :erk:

and thats just how it works, sort of a 1 sided win win for me, but thats life!