WOW!

I went into Hot Topic looking for an Opeth shirt and saw the vynal section. They had one Watershed, Damnation and Blackwater park. And I can't remember which one but at least one of them actually came with a CD in it too. It was like $26.

hmm, a succesful store actually selling music you do not hear on the radio and television all day long, selling music that actually is not produced by machines in order to become number one hit singles? ... now, remind me why this is a bad thing? remember, i also never heard about this store before, European as well ...

we have a small chain (metalzone) which is expanding extremely rapidly (only exists for about 4 years and already has like 15 stores I think, someting like that at least), and it only sells metal/hardcore/hardrock ... the fact that such a thing can actually be succesful and become a blooming business, gives me some hope still at least.
when reading that description of hot topic, it reminded me of it.

Hey guys, I'm from Sweden so I don't know shit. What is Hot Topic? I've heard about it a million times, but what is it?

The store really is not as bad as most of the "OMG tr00 metul" posters above make it sound. I don't really shop there much but I'm imagining that they were so surprised that they carried the Opeth vinyl mostly because they probably consider themselves too good to shop there so they don't have a real idea of what the store carries, but rather a cliched view of it. The plain fact of the matter is that they wouldn't make much money carrying only shirts and CDs of Deathspell Omega and Borknagar so they carry stuff from bands that people have...you know...heard of. Anyway I've seen Bloodbath CDs in there, Slayer t-shirts, someone else on here mentioned buying an Opeth hoodie at one of the stores. Plus they're got plenty of stuff that's hot if you can convince your girlfriend to wear it.

emosponge.jpg

The store really is not as bad as most of the "OMG tr00 metul" posters above make it sound. I don't really shop there much but I'm imagining that they were so surprised that they carried the Opeth vinyl mostly because they probably consider themselves too good to shop there so they don't have a real idea of what the store carries, but rather a cliched view of it. The plain fact of the matter is that they wouldn't make much money carrying only shirts and CDs of Deathspell Omega and Borknagar so they carry stuff from bands that people have...you know...heard of. Anyway I've seen Bloodbath CDs in there, Slayer t-shirts, someone else on here mentioned buying an Opeth hoodie at one of the stores. Plus they're got plenty of stuff that's hot if you can convince your girlfriend to wear it.

I looked, they don't sell Deathspell Omega CD's. :(

and LOL at the spongebob!

i went ito a store that i thought was good enough for me, and my hungover self the other day, to find a vinyl section, with a bunch of pooh, the most metal thing there was the hot chicks nose stud,............i hate music stores......up to the web and its long list of bargain sellers!

I looked, they don't sell Deathspell Omega CD's.
Thank fucking christ for that. I reckon they would change their name and try and go even more obscure if that happened. I've already read they are pissed at the fan myspace's and websites as it is. They really have their hearts set on staying low. But something that good can't stay a secret forever. Fact is whether they like it or not word of mouth has traveled pretty fast about them for a band with no official placement on the net and basically no press.

Hot Topic sucks but I'm surprised they had Opeth. We can thank Roadrunner for that. Signing with them is the best thing Opeth has done business-wise.

BTW, my friend went into Hot Topic and asked if they had any Kampfar shirts. The salesgirl was like :confused:

are you sure its the original? because the new ones also have the original date. you can tell if damnation is the old one as its not gatefold, one disc only, and the old blackwater park has a different inside in the gatefold, its a long(horizontaly) shot of the band. either way very nice find :). i have to do all my shopping online :(

Sorry to bring up an old thread but yeah, it is first edition. Long horizontal picture of the band in grayscale with the lyrics listed above it. I got Mendez to sign it yesterday. :)

Lucky bastard. I need to get a record player and some vinyl. Ive heard that shit sounds better on vinyl. Im imagining by this they mean its got more atmosphere to it or something of that nature.

I've heard that the sound on vinyl is warmer. I need to get a needle and an amp so I can play this stuff!

I do have a vinyl player, problem is my sound system doesn't have the Vinyl input - there's a special plug, different from the average RCA jack. Make sure you get one with that.

The Hot Topic around here can be pretty surprisingly good. I've got Nile, Behemoth, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Children of Bodom, Blind Guardian, etc. shirts in there. They had Watershed as a "featured album" for a few weeks.