Write harmonies?

Death_Work said:
James can you explain a little how you write solo harmonies???:worship:
harmonies aren't really "written", they are arranged, and i tend to arrange my harmonies diatonically to the scale which the melody i'm harmonizing is in. Diatonic harmonies are created by using only notes of the scale the original melody is in. this is as opposed to parallel harmonies, which are arranged using a set interval above or below each note of the melody line... this leads to some notes which are not in the scale of the melody. i use parallel harmony only rarely.

Death_Work said:
And how are your caparison working out for you, I also have a custom horus, I'm on my way to change pickups to Dimarzio tonezone :hotjump:
My Caps are awsome, and i hope to get a Horus soon...3 of my 4 Caps are with my tech right now as he is installing new EMG's for me. thanks for asking!

I understand 4th and 5th position parallels, but the diatonic ones still confuse me. I was looking at the tab for the DFG solo from the low album, and in the harmonies, the majority of the harmony is played 3 semi tones(1.5 steps) above the solo,, but a few notes were played 4 semi tones up (2 steps), i dont understand how that works, unlike parallels in the 5th poistion where you usually play 7 semi tones up and 4th par where you play 5 semi tones up, hope to hear a response! good day :wave:

also, for live purposes can you set a harmonizer to play a diatonic harmony to whatever your playing? because i know alot of your solos use harmonies, and am wondering how you performed them live. :Spin: :cool: :)

diatonic thirds work like that. sometimes it will be a major third (2 steps) sometimes it will be a minor third (1.5 steps). this is so that he is always playing in key. if it were always 1.5 steps, there would be many notes that are not in the scale in which he's operating. is this clear?

the alumnus said:
diatonic thirds work like that. sometimes it will be a major third (2 steps) sometimes it will be a minor third (1.5 steps). this is so that he is always playing in key. if it were always 1.5 steps, there would be many notes that are not in the scale in which he's operating. is this clear?

ya, i realize that, but when do you know what notes to hit 1.5 steps up and 2 steps, just major thirds in the scale you hit 2 steps up and minor thirds 1.5 steps?

Try singing along with vocal harmonies on records. Your ear soon learns to hear when that harmony note should be a minor or a major in relation to the chord progression underneath.

Another thing I'd recommend is listening to Brian May solos!!