WTF Is Powermetal??

Oct 17, 2006
Disclaimer... The posting of this article is not intended to incite or provoke anybody or their understanding of what Power Metal may be. In my opinion, there is no right or wrong here, just various views and interpretations. In short, I am posting this with the hopes of generating intelligent conversation and perhaps even a debate. I will ignore any personal attacks or confrontational criticism and hope other serious participants of this forum will do the same.

Somebody asked me today… ‘WTF is Power Metal?’ I am no authority on the subject & my appreciation of the genre has developed from information which may or may not be correct. In other words - I don't really know. I rely a lot on the Rockdector book 'A to Z of Power Metal' and ‘Metal-Archives’ for a lot of information although I don't think either of these sources is completely accurate. According to Rock Detector - 'Power Metal is heavy metal taken to the surgically precise limit...' I like to think they are correct. Included in their book are all the more commonly acknowledged PM acts like Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Helloween, Hammerfall & Manowar. In addition to all the obvious, the book includes Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Nevermore, Paragon, Jag Panzer, Symphorce, Rage, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Manilla Road, Savatage, Rainbow, Mercyful Fate, Cirith Ungol, Omen, Fates Warning, Accept, Angel Dust, Manticora, and many more that are unlikely to actually be considered PM by some.

On a personal level - If it’s in the book, I consider it Power Metal & I enjoy many bands in all of it‘s sub-genres. From the emotion & solemnity of Savatage, to the exhilarating Gaia Epicus, to the epic power of Domine and intense complexity of Wuthering Heights. It surprises me that I’ve heard some say it isn’t even metal. I’ve also heard it referred to it as ’Flower Metal’(I don‘t even know what that is- But it doesn‘t sound good). Some folks think it’s all about LOTR & dragon worship. Others I’ve spoke with believe power metal is the reincarnation of hair metal & even more people seem to think PM is limited to the speedy, happy Euro metal with high-pitched vocals.

So what is the popular belief in this forum? Who can answer the age old question - “WTF is Power Metal?”

besides the personal view, it has also changed over the years. The first time I heard the term "power metal" was in the 80's to describe the style of Overkill! So originally I think it was for bands within the general (old school) heavy metal spectrum that had a bit more power (and aggression) than average.

With bands like Helloween and their followers a sort of new genre evolved that also got named power metal, though I don't really know why. The typical style of melody with fast drums and usually fairly high vocals, I personally don't like at all and call it happy metal. To me it generally lacks heaviness and aggression and I'm one of those people that finds some of these bands hardly metal, because the music is so "light". But of course it's hard (if not impossible) to draw a specific line between rock, hardrock and metal. Many bands that play general heavy metal without going into any specific subgenre get called power metal now, maybe by lack of a better word, as the term 'heavy metal' on itself is too wide.

These days I kind of divide power metal into the light euro version (that I call happy metal) and bands like Iced Earth that are more like general heavy metal that I would call aggressive power metal - simply to let people know that with this style (that is my favorite style in metal together with thrash) I don't mean the lighter kind that I don't like at all.

About Rockdetector, they do include some bands that I wouldn't call power metal, like e.g. Rainbow (hardrock) or Dream Theater (progressive metal). They also have quite a few mistakes here and there in the descriptions, but I guess it's hard to double check every bit of info when compiling stuff for a book like this. One of the reasons I would never make a book like that :lol: (and that it would always be outdated already even by the time it comes out). On another note.. 3 books (I believe the power metal one too) contain a lot of pics of my hubby (Nico Wobben) :headbang:

Great post and great reply:

I don't consider myself an expert at anything, much less the guy who can determine what is and what is not powermetal.

I can give you what I believe are three views of powermetal...... the view of the industry, the common view (of non-powermetal fans) and my view.

The view from the industry:

If the music doesn't fit the other sub-genres of metal...... it is powermetal.

The view of fans who do not know the genre as a whole....

Much like Marlies stated..... super fast double bass drums, keyboard softened guitars, and high clean vocals.

The view by me.......

I think Powermetal goes back to bands like Accept and Iron Maiden. Though they had totally different styles, they achieved a similar goal in their music. I personally think a true powermetal band can blend the right amount of aggression and melody into music along with strong hooks that keep them in your head. Some of my favorite bands of all-time "I" consider powermetal..... Accept, Grim reaper, Metal Church, Tesla, Armored Saint, Queensryche, Angel Dust, Tad Morose..... the list could continue for a long while.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. The problem is that it is an unfortunate necessity that metal music needs to be put under sub-genres and the sub-genre labeled "powermetal" actually covers a pretty large variety of styles. A good bit of it I don't care for, but some of it is among my all-time faves.

Bryant

I consider power metal to be mid to fast tempo metal with a strong melodic singer. Songs usually don't go past the 7 minute mark, unlike a lot of Prog Metal. There is also less emphasis on musicianship for the sake of the song.

Oh yeah, and Dragons are a must! :lol:

Somebody asked me today… ‘WTF is Power Metal?’ I am no authority on the subject & my appreciation of the genre has developed from information which may or may not be correct. In other words - I don't really know.

Neither do I but for me is a kind of metal offspring of classic metal driven by Judas Priest and Iron Maiden sound. Usually fast, melodic, with clean vocals, catchy choruses, speed drumming and may or may not have keyboards.

Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Helloween, Hammerfall & Manowar. In addition to all the obvious, the book includes Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Nevermore, Paragon, Jag Panzer, Symphorce, Rage, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Manilla Road, Savatage, Rainbow, Mercyful Fate, Cirith Ungol, Omen, Fates Warning, Accept, Angel Dust, Manticora

From your list there are bands I consider power metal, but others are either classic, NWOBHM, prog-power, prog or crap :heh:

Power metal for me: Helloween, Hammerfall, Heavens Gate, Blind Guardian, Angra, Azeroth, (early) Avalanch, Azrael, Freedom Call, Forgotten Tales, Wonderland, Sabaton, Wolf, Astral Doors, Imperio, Crescent Shield, Onward, Steel Prophet, etc and in there you have from the ballsy to the sugary

So like all the tag system in metal it's always relative.

NP: Ironsword - 'War Hymn'

I can see how it can be argued that perhaps PM stemmed from Maiden. I dont see how bands like Accept or Grave Digger can be called that without the operatic vocals of Dickinson. Also Maiden are kinda the epitome of metal, they've influenced so many metal bands and not simply just PM acts.

I am of the ilk that PM was born officialy with Helloween as speedy metal riffs and high vocals. I like Helloween and Gamma Ray but I'm not mad about them and never considered myself a PM fan because the buck stops there. I dont know if I've helped answer your question or rather inadvertently asked "is the Priest of Evil really a PM fan?" After all, I really like Maiden,Accept, Grave Digger, Omen etc.:loco:

I don't agree with the modern-day description of "power metal". I'm a metalhead of the 80s and that title was reserved for albums like Accept - Restless and Wild and Overkill - Feel The Fire. They went above and beyond what we considered "metal", like Maiden, Priest and Saxon.

They were metal albums, but with more POWER!

Somewhere along the line, the "power" adjective got assigned to the New Wave of European Helloween Clones, and I'd still like to beat the idiot who got that started. In 1987 I thought of Helloween as speed metal and still do to this day. When your tempo is dominated by repetive double-bass drums, you're speed metal.

But, times have changed, and I've had to change with them. Power metal to me is exactly how the masses percieve it; a very broad section of the heavy metal scene as a whole. Everything from Dragonforce to Nevermore.

Bring on the sub-genres!

I consider power metal to be mid to fast tempo metal with a strong melodic singer. Songs usually don't go past the 7 minute mark, unlike a lot of Prog Metal. There is also less emphasis on musicianship for the sake of the song.

Oh yeah, and Dragons are a must! :lol:

That is just how anyone who's not familiar with the genre views it. Most of the greatest Power Metal songs are over 7-10 mins. And Power Metal is all about musicmanship. The band members are usually musically proficient.

Now, I am not a musician, so please excuse me if I make mistakes over the musical description of the genre. I am only telling it like I see it.

Power Metal is a diverse genre. It has been derived primarily from Iron Maiden's sound, and of course, Speed Metal. It is primarily distinguished by:

1) Uplifting Music. Exceptions to this are bands like Adagio and Iced Earth, and some technical Progressive Power Metal bands.

2) Lack of Heaviness, that is present in Thrash, Death and Black Metal.

3) Clean Vocals. Again, exceptions are seen in Folky bands like Battlelore, or Extreme bands like Children of Bodom.

4) Relying on Melody. Finnish Power Metal especially, most of it is keyboard driven. German Power Metal may be somewhere between melodic and traditional metal.

5) Sizzling Solos. Also, use of Choirs and other symphonic elements to create 'epicness' in their music.

6) Lyrics vary. Contrary to popular belief, few bands sing about dragons. I can name only just 3 or 4 bands that actually play 'cheese metal'. Other themes include Sci-Fi, Horror, Life issues (Prog Power bands), Historical events, etc.

Sub-Genres of Power Metal

Symphonic Power Metal - The 'Cheesy' genre. Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Heavenly, etc.

Thrashy Power Metal - Iced Earth, Brainstorm, etc.

Melodic Power Metal - Most Finnish bands like Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Children of Bodom, etc.

Progressive Power Metal - Adagio, Angra, Kamelot, Evergrey, Symphony X, Lost Horizon, etc.

Heavy/Speed/Power Metal - Most German bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Primal Fear, etc. And the old school American bands belong here too.

Extreme Power Metal - Children of Bodom, Dragonforce.

Most Power Metal bands create atleast 1-2 'Epic' songs per album clocking over 10 mins, occasionally touching 20 mins.

---

Well, that's how I understand Power Metal to be. Whether I am right or wrong.

I think power metal is somewhat nonexistent... :D
While some would call modern doublebass/keyboard/lah-lah-lah metal "power" I see no other genre less worthy of such a tag...
I'd describe those as modern heavy metal, the term "power metal" changed so many styles over the years it's become absurd!
So it's all classic/oldschool HM and modern HM to me!

Personally I don't care about genres, I just listen to the music I like. You can't even categorize most bands cuz they have influences of various genres in their music.

I don't agree with the modern-day description of "power metal". I'm a metalhead of the 80s and that title was reserved for albums like Accept - Restless and Wild and Overkill - Feel The Fire. They went above and beyond what we considered "metal", like Maiden, Priest and Saxon.

They were metal albums, but with more POWER!

But, times have changed, and I've had to change with them. Power metal to me is exactly how the masses percieve it; a very broad section of the heavy metal scene as a whole. Everything from Dragonforce to Nevermore.

Bring on the sub-genres!
Yeah Trans, this is true. Alot of genre names were thrown around in the 80's I could never tell what was speed or thrash or power. Now -days we can look back and put everything in its box but was the box ever really there or did we just need to validate everything that badly?

we can look back and put everything in its box

Well because that the awful thruth! In the old days was heavy metal/hard rock/heavy rock and no one cares as long as the music fits the taste, but today you need so many fuking tags to communicate somhthing as simple as:

I like it may be you don't, it's similar to... :Smug:

Hope people like aggresive aggro brutal neo-classic symphonic modern black thrashpowercore o_O

NP: Beyond The Labyrith - 'Digital World'

"Power metal" means everything and nothing these days, it has probably become the most bastardized sub-label of the metal genre.
Pantera are classified as power metal this side of the pond, in lack of a better word...

I call Power Metal bands like Metal Church, Vicious Rumors, Morgana Lefay, Brainstorm, Angel Dust, Iced Earth, Mercenary, Tad Morose and so on, as these bands mean POWER to me, but to each its own.
Bands such as Hammerfall, Dream Evil and Cage simply play Heavy Metal to me.
I'd put Angra and Kamelot into a kind of Progressive Melodic Metal sub-genre.
I call Helloween, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian Melodic Speed Metal and their numerous bad lighter clones Flower Metal :D

"Power metal" means everything and nothing these days, it has probably become the most bastardized sub-label of the metal genre.

True. Putting Metal Church and Stratovarius into the same category is a joke. We have the marketing departments and mainstream mags to 'thank' for that.

If people listen to happy metal (a contradiction in terms if you ask me), then that's fine; maybe they progress and discover the real deal.:saint:
In my book, power metal means Metal Church, Vicious Rumors, Lethal, early Leatherwolf, Helstar, to name some of the classic bands. Or Pharaoh, Crescent Shield, Seventh Calling, Tad Morose, Ignitor, to name a few of the younger ones.

yeah what the fuck is that¿?? is like the worst shit i ever heard, all song of that crap talks about dragons and flames and stuffs like that.. ok men we are in the PLANET EARTH and those things are not real i think we have many...many more things to say in a song than that bullshit

yeah what the fuck is that¿?? is like the worst shit i ever heard, all song of that crap talks about dragons and flames and stuffs like that..

That's a very narrow minded attitude. Lots of good power metal has nothing to do with that. That's is like saying all black/death metal has to do with satan and anti-christianism.

Go and check Sabaton, Wolf, Azrael, Heavens Gate, Steel Prophet, Highland Glory and Angra (since they're playing here next week). The power metal world is not about Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Freedom Call, Blind Guardian, Cryonic Temple or Dream Evil only.

And if people like to sing about swords, elves, dragons, so what? Thrash is full of bands singing about war, destruction, oppression, corruption etc, so then what I should stop listen to thrash and save by watching CNN or the news headlines to remind the REAL WORLD :rolleyes: ?

The bottomline is if you DON'T like it, then DON'T listen to it and leave the rest be, to each its own.

Our country is in the turmoil it is exactly because people emit judgements without information. I expected more from a metalhead, not the rethoric of Jose Miguel Corrales :Smug:

NP: Walter Giardino - 'Astróloga'

Even a cheesy band like Rhapsody is not bad anyway. If you can listen to Deicide putting out Satanic stuff all the time, then why can't you listen to 'Dragon Metal'?

Rhapsody may be cheesy, but they execute the cheesiness with sizzling solos, choirs and choruses. Neoclassical Metal at its best. Luca Turilli is honestly one of the most underrated guitarists ever.

A simple way to explain it from my point of view is that it is Metal, so carried all of the basics of metal without falling into the extreme metal category which includes Thrash, Death, Black and Doom and all their bastard children (groove, gothic, the list will go forever so I will stop here). That is the basics.

To go into more depth, Power Metal is uplifting, while not necissarily happy it HAS TO BE atleast inspiring otherwise just call it speed metal as that is where the "power" in "power metal" comes from. Ways to do this are to create an epic feel (fantasy, symphony) and to be impressive or awe-inspiring, so income the flashy guitar solos (Lucca Turilli is the true epitome of this), insanely fast speed (DragonForce) and vocals that sound like folk songs sung to medieval soldiers before they march to war or have been directly ripped from a battle film's music score. To fit all the criteria of being uplifting/motivating it is not heavy, the music needs spine, something down-tuned instruments do not give. Power Metal is not extreme in a heavy sense, Extreme power metal is bands like Children of Bodom who have a power metal influence on extreme metal, it does not work the other way around. So while I go go on forever mentioning every instrument including the high pitched vocals it is easy to follow this thought pattern so I will leave it there.

Where did the genre start? Probubly with Maiden who drew their roots from Sabbath though I think Manowar can be considered one of the first power metal bands.