You Fav top 5 Metal Songs

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Yep another useless thread - an excuse to just type your favourite shite again! Ya know this is very hard to do this list as I could think of a million songs but I thought which songs do I always skip to repeatedly without fail for the last 15 years or so of listening to Metal and this is what came up.

Ok here's mine (in no order) and it my surprise some.

1) Blackened (Metallica) - My all time fav song of that band who used to be metal. The tone is magic and larz drumming is spot on - especially his double bass salvo after the first verse).

2) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Iron Maiden) - my all time fav Maiden song. Some may think there are more worthy Maiden tunes but this one just always gets me. The heavy brooding slow riff and Bruces Operatic voice at its most dramatic and best. Just wish he sang more on it. (ThraxSA will respond to this one for sure)

3) Time (Anthrax) - for me the quintisensual (sp?) Thrax song. The Riff, the drive. One of the most upbeat songs for me - if I am down I just whack this on and feel quite inspired. I just love this song. I am dying to hear them do this live in the flesh - Alive 2 kinda gave me some respite but I won't die happy unless I hear this baby live in the flesh!

4) Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath) - Oh man. This song is almost perfect for me. From Tommy's monster riffs to Little Dio's incredible voice and lyrics. LOVE THIS SONG. Even better live!!!

5) Revolution Calling (Queensryche) - Surprise surprise. Love this song. Love this album. Here's hoping act 2 of Op Mindcrime lives up to the original.

Other mentions:
In My World (very hard to leave this one off)
Flight of Icarus (very underrated Maiden song)
IGWT (Stryper - laugh all you want. Great band and I have been a fan since YnB Attack days)

...and I will stop right there.:headbang:

Might have to give this some more thought, but I'll see what I can come up with off the top of my head:

#1: Without a doubt, Corrosion of Conformity's Fuel. Gets me pumped, and I can listen to it over and over

The rest, in no particular order:
Anthrax - Inside Out (honorable mention to Crush)
Metallica - Damage Inc. (honorable mention to Whiplash)
AC/DC - Thunderstruck (honorable mention to Sink The Pink, among others)

Man, it's hard to pick just 5, so in addition to the honorable mentions above, I might as well round it to 10 for now:
-Bruce Dickinson - Devil on a Hog (a new addition to the list, I don't know how it will stand the test of time, but it's been getting a lot of play in my CD player lately)
-Guns N Roses - Knockin On Heavens Door (not the gay ass studio version with backup singers, but rather there's an awesome bootleg version from the Appetite tour in '87 with a great Slash solo, and then when the audience starts singing the chorus at the end, it gives me shivers everytime)
-Twisted Sister - You Can't Stop Rock N Roll (a sentimental pick, one of the first "metal" bands I got into, still a great tune)

1. A.I.R - Anthrax: This to me is what anthrax is about. Huge riffs and soaring vocals. I will honestly never get tired of this song.

2. A change of seasons - Dream Theater: Over 24 minutes in length, yet not for one minute does the song drag on or get old. This will be played at my funeral....

3. Your Darkest Hour - Evergrey: This song has one of the catchiest chorus' of all time.

4. Lone justice - Anthrax: Another classic. Just love the vocal melodies.

5. Mysteria - Edguy: The riffs, the drumming, the vocals, Melodic metal with something extra

all right , here we go...

1) Prowler (Iron Maiden) first song, first album. Been hooked ever since. The version with Dickinson kicks a lot of ass to. I was bummed they didn't play it at Ozzfest this year.

2) I Don't Mind The Pain (Danzig) To me the best song the classic lineup ever recorded. No guitar solo, nice dynamics.

3) The 4 Horsemen (Metallica) The first song I heard by those guys, still my favorite. Mustaine plays it faster but I think Hetfield was right to change the lyrics. The mechanix lyrics are to cheesey, especially from a guy who is pretty clever with a pen.

4) Ace of Spades (Motorhead) I was in a barband which played 60's/70's and 80's rock but, we ended every show with this gem. People would go crazy. Even non-metal heads were headbanging to this.

5) Any Place But Here (Anthrax) For some reason when I'm running I can be as tierd as hell and, when this tune comes on i get a sudden burst of energy. It just has a great drive to it.

Here's a few mentions of non metal faves

Police Truck (the Dead Kennedys), Tearing (Rollins band) , Ride On (AC/DC),
Bodies (the Sex Pistols) , Surfin Bird (Ramones) ect........

I can only pick 5? I have too many favourites but heres some of them

Anthrax - Room For One More, Among & Caught, Keep It In The Family (especially with John singing), American Pompeii, i could keep going...

Metallica - Creeping Death, Harvester Of Sorrow, Battery, Bleeding Me, I could keep going here too..

Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers, The Clairvoyant (or anything off Seventh Son especially the title track)

Bruce Dickinson - Darkside Of Aquarius, The Tower

Heathen - Hypnotized
Flotsam and Jetsam - hammerhead (mon newsted!)
Anthrax - Lone Justice
Anthrax - Now its Dark
Abbattoir - Temptation of the flesh

to hard just to pick 5

Strapping Young Lad: Oh My Fucking God
Faith no More: King For a Day
Anthrax: Black Dahlia
Static X: Cold
NIN: Heresey

Alias you set a near impossible task, but here's 5 of my fave metal / rock songs:

Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh
Metallica - Fade to Black
Megadeth - Holy Wars
Led Zep - Over the Hills & Far Away
Slayer - Angel of Death

yeah this is way way hard, and it would change at whatever point you asked me i am sure .........

off the top of my head tho.......

anthrax - in my world
alice in chains - junkhead
rage against the machine - know your enemy
clutch - raised by horses
sepultura - troops of doom

swapping in and out of that list would be things like..........

megadeth - devils island
raging speedhorn - thumper
pantera - domination
biohazard - shades of grey
pearl jam - state of love and trust
faith no more - zombie eaters
mr bungle - goodbye sober day

bah....i could go on and on and on........there the first that hit my head today tho........bound to have forgotton some killer tracks........

Its almost cruel to pick 5 songs because the other songs' feelings are going to get hurt, but here it goes:

Anthrax: Indians and Time
Fear Factory: Resurrection
Pantera: Fucking Hostile
Metallica: Whiplash

after much meditation and metal overload, here are my top five that I get pumped to and just gets me going when all else doesnt.

Hatebreed: I will be heard.
Anthrax: Among the Living
Metallica: Escape
Slayer: Bloodline
Slayer: Bitterpeace

and my honorable mentions go to:
Godsmack: Straight outta line
Slipknot: heretic anthem
Metallica: Sanatarium
Anthrax: Got the time
Megadeth: Holy Wars

1. Master Of Puppets / No Remorse - Metallica
2. Caught In A Mosh / Medusa - Anthrax
3. Hangar 18 / Peace Sells - Megadeth
4. Behind The Crocked Cross / Hell Awaits - Slayer
5. Procreation Of The Wicked / Celtic Frost

Ozzy - Crazy Train
Anthrax - Only
Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
Testament - Electric Crown
Sepultura - Roots, Bloody Roots

Honourable Mentions
Anthrax - What Doesn't Die, Got The Time, Anti-Social
Testament - Practice What You Preach, Sins Of Omission
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction, Peace Sells ...
Metallica - One, Damage Inc.
Black Sabbath - Paranoid, War Pigs, Supernaut
Slayer - Dead Skin Mask, Seasons in the Abyss
Sepultura - Come Back Alive, Territory

karrokid said:
all right , here we go...

1) Prowler (Iron Maiden) first song, first album. Been hooked ever since. The version with Dickinson kicks a lot of ass to. I was bummed they didn't play it at Ozzfest this year.

2) I Don't Mind The Pain (Danzig) To me the best song the classic lineup ever recorded. No guitar solo, nice dynamics.

3) The 4 Horsemen (Metallica) The first song I heard by those guys, still my favorite. Mustaine plays it faster but I think Hetfield was right to change the lyrics. The mechanix lyrics are to cheesey, especially from a guy who is pretty clever with a pen.

4) Ace of Spades (Motorhead) I was in a barband which played 60's/70's and 80's rock but, we ended every show with this gem. People would go crazy. Even non-metal heads were headbanging to this.

5) Any Place But Here (Anthrax) For some reason when I'm running I can be as tierd as hell and, when this tune comes on i get a sudden burst of energy. It just has a great drive to it.

Here's a few mentions of non metal faves

Police Truck (the Dead Kennedys), Tearing (Rollins band) , Ride On (AC/DC),
Bodies (the Sex Pistols) , Surfin Bird (Ramones) ect........

I get the same thing running when that song comes on. The song came on just a little past the 25 mile mark on my ipod durring the Chicago marathon.

The song came on just a little past the 25 mile mark on my ipod durring the Chicago marathon.
shit i don't go that far, i do about 3 to 4 miles every other day with wieghts(and a quick mile) in between cardio days.

karrokid said:
shit i don't go that far, i do about 3 to 4 miles every other day with wieghts(and a quick mile) in between cardio days.

:D

It was a one time thing that I will never do again. I like doing the half marathons though, they're 13.1 miles. You go do it, you go eat and your fine the next day.

I'm doing the Chicago triathlon this year.

Hmmmmmmmm....my top 5 list tends to change every time some drunkard asks me! However mostly is consists of:

1) Killed By Death - Motorhead
2) The World Below - The Crown
3) Skeleton in the Closet -Anthrax
4) Carneous Cacoffiny / Forensic Clinicism - Carcass
5) Dethroned Emperor - Celtic Frost

I'd better leave it at that, before I start to amend it...

Totally top-of-head:

1. Arms of God - COC
2. Trapped Under Ice - Metallica Classic
3. Unchained - VH (eh...metal enough)
4. Number of the Beast - Maiden
5. Caught in a Mosh - Anthrax

That doesn't even get into Sabbath, AC-DC, Priest, et al...