Your 2010 Top 10 releases

May 9, 2003
Seeing as it is now almost December, I was thinking that now was as good a time as any to start a "top ten" topic. I feel that this year was a very strong year for releases, and would have been even more insane if the new SyX had ended up a 2010 release!

Anyway, I just wanted to get this topic started so anyone feel free to post their top 10. I still need to get all my thoughts together before posting my own picks. Oh, and if there are a few picks that don't make your top 10 but you feel were close to doing so or just deserve a mention feel free to post them as well. Have fun!

Disperse (Journey Through The Hidden Gardens)

Quandary (Ready To Fail)

Shaolin Death Squad (Five Deadly Venoms)

Orphaned Land (The Way Of ORwarrior)

Resistor (Rise)

Seti (Discoveries)

Winterhorde (Underwatermoon)

Bunchakeze (Whose Dream?)

Carrach Angren (Death came Through A Phantom Ship)

Carlmilla Morte (Morte De Vampiria)

Jonsi - Go
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
Orphaned Land - Orwarrior
Eluveitie - Everything Remains as it Never Was
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Frost - The Philadelphia Experiment
Marillion - Size Matters
Mostly Autumn - Live 2009
Island - Island
Odyssey - Reinventing The Past

Honorable Mention: Karnataka - Into The Gathering Light

I don't have many this year. Still have a few yet to listen to, but right now all i can comfortably say is:

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Accept - Blood of the Nations

Lantlos had a good disc, but the only reason I'd put it on the "best of" list is due to lack of other albums that did well in my book. In all honesty, by that logic the new Kanye album would be there too (haters gonna hate, but it's not bad).

I still need to hear the new Agalloch and listen to the new God Dethroned a bit more, those probably will have a spot.

1. Dreyelands - Rooms of Revelation
2. Orphaned Land - The neverending way of ORworrior
3. Vanden Plas - Seraphic Clockwork

lets see:

Star One- Victims of the Modern Age
Blind Guardian- At the Edge of Time
Vanden Plas- The Seraphic Clockwork
Masterplan- Time to be King
Myrath- Desert Call
(maybe) Tarot- Gravity of Light

Can't think of any other releases i really enjoyed this year....

Not too many here either.

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Marillion - Size Matters
Disperse - Journey Through the Hidden Gardens
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Black Label Society - Order Of The Black
Symphony X - (TBA) :p

Ok, well I am still pondering everything from this year; however, I will give my list as it is now (in no particular order of course).

Orphaned Land- The Never Ending Way of OrWarrioR
Blind Guardian- At the Edge of Time
Therion- Sitra Ahra (impulse buy that just seemed to blindside me)
Rhapsody of Fire- Tears of Frozen Angels (great return to form...reminds me a lot of Dragonflame)
Soilwork- The Panic Broadcast
Eluveitie- Everything Remains as it Never Was
Star One- Victims of the Modern Age (a bit more straightforward than normal but still very solid with great vox and atmosphere)
Angra- Aqua (while not GREAT...its different to see them concentrate more on progressivness than power metal)
Kalmah- 12 Gauge
Pain of Salvation- Road Salt One (this one just barely made my list because even though I appreciate what Daniel did with this one, its something I have to really be in the mood to listen to. I dunno, its a mix between that it felt unfinished, because its short and there is another part coming out, and that Daniel seems to be on this anti-metal crusade lately. I would really like to see something similar to the sound of Remedy Lane again.)

Honorable Mentions:

Dark Tranquillity- We Are The Void (very solid release that shows they can do something different while still retaining the sound they became famous for. I really need to listen to it more.)
Enslaved- Axioma Ethica Odini (I had never even heard of them until people here started talking about this album. Its very atmospheric and ethereal to listen to.)
Seventh Wonder- The Great Escape (this is here because its not out yet but I feel sounds very promising)

Dissappointment of the Year:

Kamelot- Poetry for the Poisoned

I have to admit that I have not really bought albums online this year, which means pretty much everything I have gotten has been from FYE; therefore, a lot of new stuff that has come out this year that is not carried in stores here in the US I have not really listened to mind a few songs here and there via youtube. For example, the new Vanden Plas. I have heard a song or two here and there online but I really don't like to listen to whole albums via youtube as I would with a cd. So this year was pretty much not a year of me discovering too many new artists. It was a big year for me in that there was a lot of new albums by artists I already enjoy.

Some of my favorites are already posted here but i would like to add
Darkwater- Where Stories End --- Good stuff!!!
And i think that Seventh Wonder- the Great escape will be in this list in a few days ;-)

Not too many this year did it for me but my absolute fav:

Haken - Aquarius

Also loved:

Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
Marillion - Size Matters
Disperse - Journey Through the Hidden Gardens
Angra - Aqua
Periphery - Periphery

1 Vanden plas Seraphic clockwork
2 Star one Victims of modern age

3 Transatlantic "Whirlwind" live dvd
4 Kingcrow (italian prog metal band ,check it out),"phlegethon"

Best gigs
1 Transatlantic
2 Shadow Gallery
3 IQ (the wake 25th anniversary)

Some of my favorites are already posted here but i would like to add
Darkwater- Where Stories End --- Good stuff!!!
And i think that Seventh Wonder- the Great escape will be in this list in a few days ;-)

I just found out a couple days ago that Darkwater had a new one out. I was an early adopter of the first album and have since been interested in their potential growing on future albums.