Your top 5 Prog Metal bands

1.Symphony X
2.Dream Theater
3.Porcupine Tree
4.Tool (is it even Prog?)
5.Yngwie J. Malmsteen (not prog but i like it)

Those are the only prog cd's i have but i would like to listen to other prog metal bands such as ayreon, star one, vanden plas, pain of salvation, angra and adagio.

If only our crappy country would have sold prog metal cd's, i'm sure i know what most of you are talking about. We don't have Symphony X around here. We have to import it just to get one. Even buying online isn't safe. 10 out of 10 record stores sell pop, hiphop, and nu metal. Only 1 out of 20 stores sell prog metal. They only have Dream Theater and some older stuff.

I put Dream Theater on my list because I couldn't come up with a fifth band. How on Earth could I forget Queensrÿche!!!??? So forget DT, QR rules (Chris-era)!!! :headbang:

My list in no particular order:

Symphony X :Smug: (figured that one huh?)
Dream Theater
Ark (that's the reason I picked up classical/flamenco guitar!)
Starone/Ayreon (so maybe it's not prog exactly)
King's X (is prog rock allowed here? heh)
:tickled:

Symphony X
Sonata Arctica
Labrynth
Carcass (blackmetal kinda)
Arch Enemy (kinda like Carcass to)
Hmm no more titles for Metal bands like Death Metal/Black Metal/Goth Metal/Speed Metal for me they are Metal that is all thank you

Macy, do you really think pain of salvation is crap? Atleast I think they have many good songs for example Rope ends, Waking every god...
And maybe those weird time signatures and polyrhythms made you confused? lol. Though you're right that their songs sometimes repeat itselfs too much.

Progbass said:
Macy, do you really think pain of salvation is crap? Atleast I think they have many good songs for example Rope ends, Waking every god...
And maybe those weird time signatures and polyrhythms made you confused? lol. Though you're right that their songs sometimes repeat itselfs too much.

I'm sad to say, but no, I'm not confused by "weird" time signatures. What makes you assume this?

And I still think PoS is shit. I listened to their studio-recorded songs and I thought it was crap. Boring. Uninspiring. You name it. The concert made it even worse. I guess if you haven't heard anything better you'll think "wow". But I have heard other bands that are so much better and therefore I won't sink as low as to listen to these guys. But if you like 'em, alright, knock yourself out.

I dont like Pain of Salvation, because I really, hate ballads (with a few exceptions). I got "Remedy Lane", liked a few songs, but was bored with most of it. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

I think what POS lack is balls and chunk which is what a lot of prog metal fans crave. I have their 4 albums and really like TPE and RL and a few songs from the other 2 but I'm not a fanatic.

I have only downloaded "trace of blood". I thought it was ok, but it didn't get me hooked, it was too boring for a prog metal act.

Hey I just gotinto Evergrey. I downloaded "the great deciever" a couple of months ago and didn't really like it as I thought the vocals were monotonous and the music was a bit too "chuggah chuaggh..." but I downloaded the song recreation day and the video rulers of the mind yesterday at the progpower site and went ape over it! I love it! The vocals, the mood, the amazing twin guitarists, the instrumentation, the melodies ect... I'm ordering Recreation day in today.!

Evergrey are a great band (I have 2 albums) but they are also a band where I'll remember half of their songs and foget the others. The chuggah chuggah description by Shred is spot on but they do have some great moments.

I've decided to obey the thread and just list my favourite progressive metal bands. No power metal, no neo-classical.

1. Dream Theater
2. Aghora
3. Opeth
4. Cynic
5. Gordian Knot

bringer_of_war said:
1.Symphony X
2.Dream Theater
3.Porcupine Tree
4.Tool (is it even Prog?)
Tool is definitely prog, probably even more so than SyX.

symphonyXjapan said:
1. Symphony X
3. Angra
4. Nightwish
This is power metal, not progressive metal. They are different genres.

Well, I didn't know Opeth was considered prog metal. I'll rebuild my list

1. Fates Warning
2. Queensryche
3. Symphony X
4. Opeth
5. Pain of Salvation

Opeth maybe called prog doom metal or something like that