1st Timer Here... Hotel recommendations?

Kaosaur

Apr 8, 2006
Bluffton, SC
Hey. This is gonna be my first time at ProgPower. Bought my tickets and pre-show tickets already.

I know there's like, 3 hotels within walking distance of the venue. I was wondering which of them is best and if any of them are all booked already.

I'm coming down with 3 other people so in the end I might not get to decide but I'd like to know in case I end up being the one making the arrangements.

I've always stayed at the Residence Inn. If its not booked, rooms should be like $99 a night. Its nice, awesome free breakfast everyday, and kinda across the street from the venue.

Last year was my first and I stayed at the Granada Inn and Suites. Kind of pricey, but a nice place. I'm there again this year. Stratovarius stayed there last year, which was cool when they walked in while we were chilling in the lobby. One of the pre-party bands stayed there, too. Not that that matters, but it sticks out to me.

I always do the Super 8. It's the best value even though it's about a ten minute walk. About $70 a night, sometimes you can get rooms for $60.

Granada is probably the most desirable in terms of location and cool factor but I've heard they drop reservations without warning.

Residence was the one I considered last year but in the end opted for value. It's another good location and I've heard nothing but good things from the people who have stayed there.

Common mistake newbies make(I did): using something like Mapquest to select a hotel that's only "2 miles" away. Yeah, 2 miles if it was a straight line between the venue and the motel. I've read of other posters here getting hotels downtown and thinking they'll be walking home from the venue at 2am, or that they can take MARTA back home just like they took it to the venue.

trentdk said:
I've always stayed at the Residence Inn. If its not booked, rooms should be like $99 a night.

I booked online at the Residence, and am paying more than that. Either the rooms are going fast...or they somehow figured out I was a newbie who wouldn't know any better!

trentdk said:
I've always stayed at the Residence Inn. If its not booked, rooms should be like $99 a night. Its nice, awesome free breakfast everyday, and kinda across the street from the venue.

They do have an awesome full breakfast... but how the hell do you get up in time for it!? :heh:

I stayed there once, in 2003, when I was able to find a room there for $56 on hotwire.com, but these days they are fully aware of ProgPower, and no longer offer discounts during that weekend... and I'm certainly not paying the $160 or so a night that their website is listing. I suppose I'll take a look at the Super 8 (but they're probably all booked up by now), as well as the Sheraton... which is a little further away, and bigger than most of the other hotels in the area, and might well be willing to deal as the date draws nearer.

I've always been able to get Super 8 rooms the week before the festival. Obviously you don't want to wait that long, but if there are no rooms available right now, check back later. Progpower goers reserve a lot more rooms than they actually use.

I have stayed at The residence, Granada, and Hampton (RIP.) I think taking everything into consideration, The Residence is the place to be. I am booked at The Residence this year as well.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I have stayed at The residence, Granada, and Hampton (RIP.)

RIP on the Hampton? You must be thinking of the Fairfield, Bryant (I hope so, anyway, cuz our reservations are at the Hampton this year)...

Anyway...for those that don't know...the Fairfield was party-central for years at PPUSA, and all the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd slot bands stayed there as well. Now, the hotel was "absorbed" by the college for dorms (which is pretty appropriate given the hotels reputation)...

Such good times there...

Rock on!

trentdk said:

Noob! At PP2 you stayed at Fairfield, and at PPVI you stayed at Residence. :p

RIP Fairfield :(

Anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn before? Wondering how it was and how far it is from Earthlink Live?

ashaman7122 said:
RIP on the Hampton? You must be thinking of the Fairfield, Bryant (I hope so, anyway, cuz our reservations are at the Hampton this year)...

Anyway...for those that don't know...the Fairfield was party-central for years at PPUSA, and all the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd slot bands stayed there as well. Now, the hotel was "absorbed" by the college for dorms (which is pretty appropriate given the hotels reputation)...

Such good times there...

Rock on!

Yep Fairfield. Don't remember why I crossed up the name. While the rooms weren't nearly as nice as the Residence and BW Granada, there was plenty of free parking and these great big outdoor walkways perfect for aftershow parties. Rooms were on the outside of the motel, so you didn't have to drag five cases of beer through the freaking lobby..... and they still offered free internet (in the lobby) and breakfast. The rooms were plain, but hey two queen-sized beds, cable tv, coffeemaker and shower. That was THE best motel around the immediate area if you like the aftershow parties. Man I miss that place !!

Bryant

DreamThief said:
Anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn before? Wondering how it was and how far it is from Earthlink Live?
I haven't stayed there, but friends have. Not a walk I'd enjoy at all! Especially if you like to drop off mech between sets are just want to chill real quick during some particular band or another.

Have always stayed at teh BW Grenada, but I am staying at The Residence Inn this year and I did get $99/night for Thurs. through Sunday.

DreamThief said:
I stayed there for PP5. Its a nice place. The walk isnt too bad, and there is a Subway restaurant like 20 feet from the front door. The only part I didnt like was that it seems to be near bum central. With the overpass, and "less desireable" section of town just a few tenths away, I tended to have to deal with some riff raff. With that said, I would stay there again if I didnt have a room at the Residence. It has clean rooms, an ok breakfest, and a pool.

Stayed at Super 8 last year (And again this year) can't beat the price:loco: ...
Besides there is a 24hr Kroger real close by for late night munchies:worship:
Some of the rooms have a microwave and minifridge but they won't guarantee it with a reservation:erk: .

ashaman7122 said:

Such good times there...

There really should be a commemorative plaque erected on the 'party deck' where Midnight performed at 6am. "On this spot, Midnight from Crimson Glory serenaded about 50 people with an acoustic set....and woke up about 100 people more." :heh: :heh:

In some ways the rooms at the Fairfield were appointed more nicely than at the Residence: the Fairfield's parlor suites were equipped with a decent CD player, and the 1- and 2-bedroom suites had a full home-stereo system with CD/DVD player and 2 or 3 TVs. :headbang:

I really miss that hotel.