2008 Political debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cant find what this Obama plans on doing, everything is about the politic game, no resolutions, propositions, nothing. All big hoopla about breaking a record because hes "black"... but then hes not "black", but then he didnt even grow up in the country, christ hes not going to give two shits about the country being flooded, hes all upper middle class to wealthy in personal affairs and relations, hes not going to do anything about this country having become a place that costs $500 a week to live yet most jobs for common people still pay $350 a week, same as they did 20 fucking years ago, when a house cost 70,000 not 240,000 and auto insurance was a couple hundred a year not a few thousand

sorry that was not only stupid but totally lost on reality, so one can only assume you have no idea what this guy hopes to accomplish either... outside of becoming "President", you know like that old elementary school dream "I want to be President when I grow up" seems like thats just what we get too.

sorry that was not only stupid but totally lost on reality, so one can only assume you have no idea what this guy hopes to accomplish either... outside of becoming "President", you know like that old elementary school dream "I want to be President when I grow up" seems like thats just what we get too.

It seems no one has much of an idea what exactly he hopes to accomplish. One can only assume what "changes" will happen. That's where my stupid remarks come it! To fill the void.

He has too much charisma for anybody to see past. I don't see what policies he will bring. I only know that his voting record in the Senate is one of the most liberal of all Senators. We don't need liberal policies at this point in time. We're paying way too much money for gas and basic staple items to have to dole out more money to support needless programs from the left. With an extreme left President and a liberal congress to pass through his whims, I fear the worst. The amount I will have to fork over in taxes in the next four years doesn't give me a promising outlook on things like family vacations, birthday parties for my kids, and a few rounds of golf here and there - I'll be sending my paycheck to the feds.

Americans voted for "change" already when the Republican Congress was voted out. What changes has that brought? Nothing good. I foresee the same results with a liberal Executive.

well yeah, we either get these liberal ball ass's dancing to every Mammy demand or we get conservative war mongers that want to blow the budget on the military, both of which takes place as the backbone of America gets boned.

I want someone thats gonna say FUCK YOU to the Mammys

FUCK YOU to the military
FUCK YOU to Wall Street
and shove a great big enema tax up the ass of the fithly stinkin rich, until they have nothing left and are forced to live in the subway system of NYC !

Keep in mind that it takes more than a President to send us to war. Congress gets final say on declaration of war. And Conservatives are not necessarily war mongers... that would be a trait left over from the Cold War where we had to out-military the communist evil-doers. Now we need to outmaneuver the psycho martyrs who believe we should all return to a Stone Age mentality and lifestyle.

I can't say to stop military spending, but we have a new enemy we must address, and we cannot do that by cutting our military budget to nothingness.

That said, we need to spend money smarter on education. Spending money on education does not free states from employing more administrators. And, frankly, more oversight of state spending on education could be a good thing, since the states are the final spenders. Ensure the distinction between state governement and federal branches is understood before criticizing a President.

He [Obama] may talk like an educated man, and have the money of an educated man, but compare his tax and education plans to McCain, and you'll see who's REALLY for the working class.

Mark, Congress hasn't declared war in ages. We've had nothing but "conflicts" since way back. The new enemy we must address is not the Middle East, it is not Islam, or Communists, or even dangerous Russia. The new enemy is Ignorance and the means to fight it is to drastically revive the education system in this country. On an international scale, we don't even make the top 20 for quality of education for many subjects. Costa Rica, a developing country with only ONE continuously paved road, has a higher literacy rate than us.

America's enemy isn't Jihad, it's TV. If we were a nation of smarter individuals (who wouldn't elect Bush a SECOND time), we would be able to face these other issues with the necessary intellect to solve them and regain our status as world leader. We should focus on alternative energy, healthcare (plans and medical development), positive foreign relations, and greater trade. These feeble attempts to "push" the economy back on track will never work because they're just quick fixes that don't even address the actual problem behind the recession.

In the same breath, gas price relief plans are also worthless. Sure, people would pay less for now. But in the end, we aren't doing anything but delaying and escalating the crisis.

America the great, has lost. We have lost to the economy of China, we have lost to the foreign policy and trade power of the European Union. We have lost respect. It's time to say No, we will not protect the rich any longer. No, we will not protect the huge corporations any longer. The same revolution that overturned the music industry will now sweep the political sphere.

Revolution scares people. People are unwilling to let go of the status quo, even if they are fully aware that the status quo is unacceptable to live with. They fear the unknown. It's time to put that fear away and take a step. Like we did in the 60s on the moon, like we did with nuclear power, like we will do again.

What happened to that country that achieved monumental works of greatness and discovery in ages past? Are we to be relegated to this sorry second rate decline, perpetuated by the stubborn and the ignorant unwilling to let go and step forward?

You may call me a liberal. That's fine. I love traditional values. I love vinyl records and hate iTunes. I love gothic and victorian architecture and hate the modern steel and glass. It doesn't stand for anything. I love tradition, folklore, and history. In many respects I am also a conservative. In others you would be correct to call me a liberal.

Meaningless advance is meaningless, but meaningless loitering in the past is also meaningless. There is a time to stay and a time to go. This time, for this country, is a time to go. Go or risk being left behind as the EU becomes the 1st world, China the second world, and Putin's Russia develops in the shadows behind Europe.

McCain, though he is a war hero, is of the past. He has no grasp on the present. He doesn't know who the players in Iraq, Iran even are. He accuses Obama of not visiting the leading General over there, but having done so himself, he has nothing to show of what he must have learned from such an informative visit with our military leader there. Instead, Obama focuses on establishing positive relations with nations.

In this age where everyone hates America, it's arrogant and asinine to respond with indifference and ego, "so what, we're better than them, God bless America!" and much wiser to respond with "why do they hate us, how can we reconcile that?"

My 2 cents for now.

We all agree education is one of the biggest problems in America today. In fact, it seems so obvious to anyone who has ever recently been to a high school, even for only a few minutes, that something needs to be done. I'm wondering exactly what the hell the people who are responsible for taking care of this are doing?

I always thought PT's new album Fear of a Blank Planet was a concept album my grandma would write, but in retrospect Steven Wilson really hit the nail on the head.

I likewise agree on many points, Ken; however, I see differences in implementations. Obama is too much of an unknown. While his talk is of ideals, I don't know that it will translate to anything once implemented.

"Education" isn't the true problem, to me. I see it more of a parenting issue. My daughter is in private school, and my son most likely will follow. My wife and I cannot put her through public education because of the liberal attitudes that have infiltrated the schoolroom, as we've had several discussion about in other threads. My child does not need to go to school to learn of the homosexual lifestyle. My child does not need to go to school to be taught "Survivor" voting concepts. My child does not need to go to school to learn that the Bible is evil and against "our" way of life. These pointless teachings so abundant in public schools have taken much of the focus off the real learning they are supposed to be doing.

Do I attribute this growth to liberal politics? Yes, because the inherent wrongs in the rulings of the Berger, Warren, and even the Rehnquist courts have left us in this situation.

Television is overly perverse, and it continues to grow further perverse. Yet, the stars of TV and movies are the people we choose to hold as our role models in this society? I know you don't Ken, and I'm directing this comment at our society in general. But, I do bring these folks into the conversation because these are exactly the people bringing forward the liberal agenda, one that I see as putting the rights of the one far above the rights of the many.

It is no secret that the world hates America. But I still struggle to put a finger on why that is. I grew up in Europe in the '70's, and the hatred was there even then. Is it fair, then, to say the world hates America because of George Bush? No, but he is the posterchild for the hatred. Will a single person like Obama suddenly make the world like us? I don't think so. Jimmy Carter didn't make the world like us, that's for sure.

Part of me thinks we could benefit from an Isolationist viewpoint currently. Somebody who will get into the ills of our country and fix them; not somebody who will work as a PR person on how the rest of the world sees us. I see liberal politics bringing on much of these ills of this country, and I don't see a far-left President being able to fix them. But, an Isolationist mentality could further jeopardize our ability to keep pace with the new world economy, the same economy this country has had the largest hand in starting.

Well exactly Mark. Those problems you addressed are issues with the education system in this country. They're teaching kids lies and biases that weaken us. I'm not for or aganst liberalism. There's a time for it and a time for conservatism, and I think anyone standing on either side is cheating themselves of a better life.

On a related tangent: I hate the political correctness brought on by the ignorant soccer moms. We aren't allowed to stand for God, or Allah, or whatever we believe in. We aren't allowed to say Fuck, or teach kids about reproduction and abstinence. When we build new structures, our monuments are of plain steel and plate glass. No adornment, no ornamentation. It's all without statement. This is the demise of culture as predicted by Aldous Huxley in Brave New World. Afraid to offend anybody, we can't make a stand for ANYTHING without fear of stepping on someone else. This political correct view is destroying tradition and culture in this country and is one of the worst trends in infrastructure.

As for television, yeah it's a huge problem. They just go on and on with new show after ridiculous new show. Now that's where I point the finger and say "why? What happened to the good old days." That's where I sympathise with conservatism. Away with TV. Books are much more productive. I do wonder though, that we allow so much violence and scorn promiscuity/nudity in television. It seems that blowing crowds of guts everywhere is more acceptable than mutually consented sex. I'm not saying that we should promote sex among underage persons, but I think that the double standard is worth mentioning, and a contributing factor to our war-hungry society.

The hatred of America has nothing to do with Bush, and everything to do with the arrogant attitude. Americans are perceived, either as a people or as an administration, as bullish, tactless, willing to solve anything the quick and dirty way with money. They are quick tempered and prone to violence, immature and easily sink to insult slinging. They are uneducated. They care more about Survivor and American Idol than who's running the country. This is the general view we project, whether it is true or not. That is why this election has made such a difference. We need to get rid of the "world police" attitude and start making friends again. Nobody likes the cop.

Isolationism, for example in Japan in the 1800s, really didn't help them at all. They became quick victims of the west, drawn into wars, and their technology stagnated. It wasn't until after they opened to the west, and again after world war 2, that they prospered so immensely. Even isolationist Switzerland contributes heavily in the trade sector and in brokering political events for the EU. You can't stay alone while the whole world progresses without you, ala many countries in Africa. Closing the doors now would seal the deal and crush this economy like 1932 Germany.

Keep in mind that it takes more than a President to send us to war.

Yes, typically we'd need the UN as well, but who cares about that, DUBYA WANTED TO FIGHT THEM IRAQIS IN THE NAME OF JESUS WOOO.

Obama is too much of an unknown.

And Cheney is one of the most experienced politicians alive today... look at where we are now. :: points to toilet::

Gee, so confusing it is, good points made but then sometimes they glance off other problems.

Im with shredhead. the school dismantles what decent parents build. We all dance to the lowest common denominator, shit parents that let their 14 year old girl spend the night at her boyfriends house.... means we too must allow the same thing or we become public enemy #1 of our own children. Theres no support behind us, the teachers have been sitting in front of our kids for years, speaking as if some great swammi dalli lamma ramma, your parents have no rights, you have rights, your just little people and you should probably have your parents arrested.

Everyone should be well aware that there will be no turning it back, ever, it will continue to progress or regress depending on your views. Freedoms gained are never sacrificed, we are headed to a day when everyone will be free to do as they want, much the same mentality of the mad gunner that walks into a Burgerking.

Education the answer ? I can see how the book type can see the world this way but there was no amount of education out there that would have made myself want to pursue a life of math or science or healthcare. I was not that kind of person. It used to be it took all kinds of people to make a world, within our country, but some genious or group of genious's decided sometime in the past 20 years that we would just become a country of "tech" jobs, that we would require a minimum bachlors degree to get the most moronic of jobs and to hell with the rest of the diverse population... that serves them right for not doing thier school work.

So no I dont think anyone gets it at all, its too late to do Isolationism, or Nationalism now, we gave everything away (sold for wallstreet profits) that made us self sufficient in the 40's, 50's, 60's. "Lower grade American humans" got cocky and decided they deserved to have a good living for their contributions to the machine... so we showed them, we found a bunch of immigrants willing to work for half the wages and live multiple or extended family in one house... see you cocky bastards should have done your school work... oh by the way... that job you had ? ... yeah were sending that to south america... BTW, the teachers need a raise, the insurance industrys not doing so well so they are going to need more too... and your electricity well youve been taking that for granted and we have a national grid monopoly thing we're building, and you really have been paying too little for gas, you should be glad its going so high, its for the best you'll see. We understand its a weeks worth of your paycheck but your making a sacrifice for the better good. All you need to do is get one of those cars that gets 38 mpg.... then you'll only be paying what you had going out 6 months ago.... whats that you say? your upside down on your current car loan $6000, ah dont worry about it its just more sacrifice for the betterment of the great global family of man, we appreaciate your contributions. Everything will be fine as soon as the people in China, Russia, Korea, Mexico, India and Turkey go through all the processes we went through in this country back around 1890 thru the 1950's, it will take awhile but after they get through that 60 year process.... you stupid fucking americans that wouldnt do your homework and wanted to use your hands instead of your brains (lol)... you'll be back in business again.

Theres all kinds of God Damn people and all the education in the world is not going to change that ! They are all perfectly capable of contributing something others are not capable of. The key to a strong country is providing prosperous jobs for your entire FUCKING POPULATION and NOT use the POPULATION of OTHER countries to teach that of your own a FUCKING LESSON !

Yes, typically we'd need the UN as well, but who cares about that, DUBYA WANTED TO FIGHT THEM IRAQIS IN THE NAME OF JESUS WOOO.

Actually, he said: "god told me to invade Afghanistan and Iraq..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml

:erk:

It was very scary hearing about this when I first read about it.

Razor, you brought up an excellent point that I should have probably clarified earlier. It does take all kinds of people to run the world. Whether you work in a tire shop or are a rocket scientist, it all contributes immensely to society. Maybe a better way to phrase my position would be to provide motivation to kids (and adults) in fields that interest them. I never knew what I wanted to do with my life until I met my high school physics teacher and he egged me on to pursue that subject (I was terrified at first because of how hard I perceived it to be.)

Steve, the lowest common denominator goes back to what I was saying about political correctness. And back to what I was saying about education. We need to stop making it into a nice fun place where kids go to have fun, and make it again a place where kids go to learn. We need to raise the bar, not lower it so the lowest can get a B+. Those that struggle should seek extra help, put more effort into it, or pursue vocational trade. I think we've gone long enough being nice in education and it's time to be hard. It's time to actually teach them something and not feel sorry about it.

Oh and yeah, McCain is really for the working class. I guess the working class love getting their asses handed to them because of the Bush tax cuts. Seriously, I have no idea how anyone could like McCain let alone vote for him over Obama. I'm not even talking about parties... I was extremely moderate before Bush came into office and after the monstrosity that was the last 8 years I seriously think we should just tell the Republicans that they're not allowed to run for another 20 years haha.

Not to disagree more, Ken, but I don't think we, as a people, are arrogant, bullish, tactless, nor willing to solve anything the quick and dirty way with money. Perhaps we are perceived as such by people of other countries, particularly those who aspire to our status. I would call it simply envy, for lack of a better term.

What I do see us as is "young" and "immature" as a nation and a people. This country did not go through what much of the rest of the world has gone through, and we can see those attitudes in much of our everyday life. Is it really necessary to take a neo-prohibitionist stance on alcohol, or would it be better suited to learn from the histories of other countries and the role of alcohol in their society? Oh, I guess the ACLU would find some way to tie that history into the oppression of some person in the States and declare such things as prejudicial, much the same way they have worked to sweep many important events in our own country's brief history under the carpet.

From your post, the related tangent paragraph is much of what I am talking about with the liberal laws passed by the Berger, Warren, and Rehnquist Courts. You are not allowed to preach Christianity in a public forum because of laws passed to prohibit offending even one person in the crowd you may be preaching to. And in Seattle, lesbians can carry on with fornication in a family environment, but a mother, who would like such behaviors relegated to the bedroom and not in front of her children who are also attending the game, is not allowed to mutter a word for fear of being "intolerant". She and her children must "tolerate" such behaviors because it is the desires of the few that overrule the needs of the many. Why should the Mariners organization even feel the need to apologize for their employee asking such behavior be stopped? Again, the PC attitudes you mention, though I don't know if I'm in line with the perceived extremism of your statements.

Regarding the TV and movie violence you typed of, I'm totally with you on that. Why should movies about blowing somebody's brains out be so revered in our culture? Why have we allowed, even requested, Hollywood to push the envelope to even open the door on such a topic? The point of the story can still be made without the gore. But, I suppose another argument can be made that most movies and shows have no point, and are all about the gore, sex, and language that my inward reflections point me to many of the ills of our society.

The more I sit here and think about it, the more it depresses me with the painful conclusion that perhaps we cannot right our ship. Perhaps we are destined to follow the Roman Empire into the history books. It is not up to one man or woman to change - it is up to all of us. But, we cannot even get on the same page as to where we want to go, much like you said in paragraph 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.