5 most important metal bands for the global metal scene in the last 15 years.

How about Neurosis? They basically invented 'post-metal', and were a great influence on bands like Isis and Cult of Luna, among others. And these bands themselves have been very influential.

I'm not sure if they should be in the top five though, with all the other groups mentioned that have spawned far bigger movements.

Dark Tranquillity -----> technically released the first gothenburg death album ------> gothenburg metal -----> metalcore ------> deathcore.

sorry but I think at the gates and/or carcass beat dt to it.
even though carcass was based in england, they and atg basically pioneered that style.

therefore, carcass/atg would be more important than dt. not to mention at the time, anders friden was dt's vocalist. and we all know how great he is.

linkin park

I actually agree with you.
If you can argue COB for "inspiring kids to pick up a guitar" same can be said for linkin park and these guys.

Limp Bizkit
+
Korn
+
Slipknot

if anyone disagrees that they influenced a generation, your too stupid to smell the shit on your knees.
on that note,
Marilyn Manson aswell

well...

metallica's black album was 1991. not 15 years or less.
slayer's seasons in the abyss was 1990. not 15 years or less.
megadeth's youthanasia was 1994, I guess you could count that
dream theater's awake was 1994, it's possible to count that but everything they've done since then is pretty :erk:
pantera...:erk:

and you realize that this is global, correct? tbh a band like dream theater hasn't been the most influential in shit, much less in the "global metal scene". same with a band like pantera

Albums they put out in last 15 years =/= their influence in the last 15 years. It's not like everyone forgot Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets because it was over 15 years ago. The active band metallica is shit right now, but their discography's influence over the last 15 years easily belongs in the top 5 along with bands like morbid angel or bathory

Unfortunately the answer to this question will by nature of the question, require mentioning bands people consider overrated/overplayed/possessing rabid fanboys. This very sentiment generally comes from more hardcore/underground metal fans who are simply tired of hearing about XYZ band. But there's generally a reason you're hearing about that band so much. There's the influence we're looking for. Hell, I can imagine how much some of you older folks can remember people saying Metallica were overrated after their rise to popularity in the late 80. Same deal. It's a backlash against popularity/influence.

Anyway, my list.

Tool
Korn
Manson
In Flames
Pantera

you guys seriously put opeth and porcupine tree on your lists? how many metal bands in the last 15 years regardless of how good or bad they are do you think have SERIOUSLY be influenced by opeth and porcupine tree
let me make the real list, and i'm just going to ignore new 'hardcore' metal because it sucks

At The Gates - Anything with that generic gothenburg chord progression (thats probably like 15,000 bands)
Morbid Angel - pretty much anything thats not black metal and has blast beats. i would put suffocation here, but i think MA has more influence outside of death metal than they do
Emperor/Satyricon - (i know what the opinion on this forum is but in reality not sure which one is more influential members alone definitely satyricon)
Arch Enemy - Same as at the gates, but more lead work.
Children of Bodom - Lead work but not in the ATG sense. How many people do you see covering CoB solos on youtube and fucking them up? yeah alot.

you guys seriously put opeth and porcupine tree on your lists? how many metal bands in the last 15 years regardless of how good or bad they are do you think have SERIOUSLY be influenced by opeth and porcupine tree
let me make the real list, and i'm just going to ignore new 'hardcore' metal because it sucks

At The Gates - Anything with that generic gothenburg chord progression (thats probably like 15,000 bands)
Morbid Angel - pretty much anything thats not black metal and has blast beats. i would put suffocation here, but i think MA has more influence outside of death metal than they do
Emperor/Satyricon - (i know what the opinion on this forum is but in reality not sure which one is more influential members alone definitely satyricon)
Arch Enemy - Same as at the gates, but more lead work.
Children of Bodom - Lead work but not in the ATG sense. How many people do you see covering CoB solos on youtube and fucking them up? yeah alot.

Bands that are close to making this list: Lamb of god, Electric Wizard (not sure when they started), Nevermore, Isis.
Bands that are not on this list for a reason:
Dream Theater - I don't think they influence anyone who wasn't already into their style of music IE rush. I think most of the people they inspire go more into the less metal side of progressive rock/power metal vocals shit.
In Flames - okay i just don't like this band
Pantera - much older than 15 years have you heard their power metal shit? yeah not globally important.
Tool - People who think tool is the greatest band don't know what they are talking about.
The Gathering - who the fuck is The Gathering. I've never heard of them so they are not important to me.
Korn / Manson. No one listens to them anymore. They are those crossover bands that get you into metal but then you hear something else and realize korn/manson are terrible. then you hear something else and realize that also was terrible.

Important is a pretty vague term. Important to who? important in what way? Breathing is important but so is exercising and i do one of those a hell of a lot more than the other.

Dude, yeah I agree putting Opeth or Porcupine Tree maybe is wrong, but you put Arch Enemy. You lost all credibility, I believe.

What about KSE's "Alive or Just Breathing"? Pretty much every metalcore album since has been a lesser clone of it.

The Haunted? Back in 98, their self titled debut pretty much kick started the whole modern thrash scene.

you think the haunted influneced more people than at the gates? you do realize who the band members are right?

KSE should be mentioned actually. I don't listen to them so i kinda forgot about them, and not putting arch enemy? I'd say their first 3 albums before they decided they wanted to have shitty vocals and rewrite the first 3 albums over and over again are on par with Slaughter of the Soul/Terminal Spirit Disease. Its that crossover between Carcass and more commercial metal, the problem with AE is that they took it way to far.

At the gates >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Haunted.

A note on Pantera...

Pantera-power_metal.jpg

They've been around for more than 15 years. Just not as well known...:saint:

gonna have to disagree with this one honestly and say that darkthrone was definitely more influential than emperor and satyricon. tbh there's not a whole lot of emperor or satyricon clones around, while darkthrone spawned thousands of them (with everyone from watain and dso to nachtmystium, leviathan, krieg and xasthur being dt clones at one point or another)

honestly even burzum was more of an influence than the two bands above...varg practically inspired a whole generation of usbm with hvis lyset tar oss and filosofem alone.

transilvanian hunger and hvis lyset tar oss both came out in 94 and filosofem in 96. I guess it could be argued darkthrone isnt because abitns was 92 iirc but who really cares, they're still one of the probably top 10 most important bands since the early 90s

you think the haunted influneced more people than at the gates? you do realize who the band members are right?

KSE should be mentioned actually. I don't listen to them so i kinda forgot about them, and not putting arch enemy? I'd say their first 3 albums before they decided they wanted to have shitty vocals and rewrite the first 3 albums over and over again are on par with Slaughter of the Soul/Terminal Spirit Disease. Its that crossover between Carcass and more commercial metal, the problem with AE is that they took it way to far.

At the gates >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Haunted.

Not saying they influenced more than ATG (or more specifically SOTS), but they pretty much kick started the Thrash revival.

Also ATG are probably only 12 > above The Haunted, not 22.

I know this is older than 15 years but as sad and untalented as they may have been Nirvana launched a so called music revolution with the release of Nevermind which coincidentally came out on my 10th birthday lol

Korn - Not a fan of them like I was in the mid 90s but they seemed to have gave birth to a new generation of metal as well.

Opeth - Again been around longer than 15 years but as of late they seem to be the poster children for progressive metal, at least good progressive metal anyway. "cough" Dream Theater "cough"

Marilyn Manson - They brought the whole goth metal scene to the mainstream mtv. I used to b a hug Manson fan. I still like them just not as much as I used to.

Tool - While maybe not metal they have certainly brought something new to the table and rung in an era of collective thinking progressive rock. Tool is tied with Opeth as my favorite band.