7"s and vinyl

Jul 14, 2008
Decatur, IL
I've seen a lot of 7" releases, splits, strictly vinyl releases, etc... I don't even own a record player, though I've been considering one. Is it worth it? Or is it mostly aesthetic? I can't imagine a good sound quality, especially with a lot of black metal stuff.

vinyl sound is as good or better than cd tbh.
if you don't have a problem finding stuff on cd then don't bother.
for me it's an aesthetic thing, I buy my favorites on vinyl. but I also buy a lot of old glam vinyl because it's actually cheaper that way.

If you have a desire to listen to the music in that format and want the artwork/layout that it offers, then yes it is well worth it.

Vinyl that is produced the way that vinyl is intended to be produced beats out a CD release, as far as I'm concerned. It has a warm, organic sound that can't be replicated digitally. This is why I try to buy a lot of my favorite albums on vinyl even though I already have them on CD. The aesthetic is, while not irrelevant, fairly marginal for me. I just enjoy playing and listening to a record than I do a CD.

Vinyl that is produced the way that vinyl is intended to be produced beats out a CD release, as far as I'm concerned. It has a warm, organic sound that can't be replicated digitally. This is why I try to buy a lot of my favorite albums on vinyl even though I already have them on CD. The aesthetic is, while not irrelevant, fairly marginal for me. I just enjoy playing and listening to a record than I do a CD.

This.

Even though I don't own that much vinyl.

Totally agreed about enjoying playing a record. I own various old techno records from the 90s and listening to them is a pleasure, you're forced to concentrate on the experience of hearing the record as opposed to it just being background music.

For me I just remember watching the records spin on my Dads HiFi when I was a kid. It amuses me in an extremely childish way. More seriously there is something different about the sound. It's just nicer than through a CD and a heck of a lot better than through a knackered 80s tape.

Having said all this I haven't replaced my broken turntable or bought a new pre amp....

This is also true. For example, I believe all of Maiden's albums were produced for vinyl and the original CD issues sounded shitty (I have an original of Killers and can confirm this), and with the remasters they just turned up the volume and stuff so it sounds better on the original vinyl than on the remasters. I've listened to my remasters against my friend's original records and the vinyl does sound better.

With the exception of Western Art Music, vinyl fucking RULES for everything else, period. That said, I was extremely happy to find vinyl rips of Mortal Sin's first two records online.

That's the case for pretty much everything within the first few years of CDs. Early CD releases were always inferior to the LP versions, and the "remasters" usually just focus on raising the volume, in the process diminishing the audio fidelity of the music. Nowadays, however, most music is produced digitally, and, quite frankly, sounds worse on vinyl because they are mastered for the purposes of CDs. That's why I don't buy vinyl reissues either. I suspect that the recent reissues of, for example, Mercyful Fate and Holy Terror probably sound like shit, not even mentioning the ridiculous prices the larger labels charge for their LPs. You can find the originals for a lot of these records cheaper.

I dunno about that because I always go for originals, but the 2005 reissue of Emperor's IX Equilibrium sounds bitchin'.

I am talking about the bad sort of static and distortion. Those cheapo ones have lots of issues. I have a shit one that skates a ton. What that means is that as the needle gets closer to the center of the record, instead of staying in the center of the groove as it should it starts moving up against the walls of the groove and causes all sorts of nasty sounds.

Oh I didn't know any of this. I kinda figured as old as they are that the cheap ones would still be pretty good. I know very little about them. Where's a good place to get them? I'm assuming online but a real store would be nice.

Why don't you get a used separate turntable and pre amp from a good brand from ebay. That's assuming you have an amp and some speakers.

a Pro-Ject one would do.