A question about signing bands to the Laser's Edge labels...

Stickist

- Stream of Consciousness
This question's for you, Ken.

What do you look for when you're signing a band to Sensory, and what does your label provide? My band, Stream of Consciousness, is in the writing/demo recording phase for our first album (a prog metal concept album), and we're trying to figure out what all needs to be done between here and a professional-quality, well-distributed release. If we were, for instance, lucky enough to some day sign on with Sensory, what would be provided? Would we still have to fund all of the recording and production costs, with Sensory promoting and distributing the album? Or is there financial assistance provided for the studio recording and pressing of the final product? If this is a matter you'd rather not discuss in an open forum, please e-mail me at StickPerson@gmail.com and let me know what you can. I would love to send a "press kit" of sorts to you once we've got everything ready; what would you need included to make a decision of whether or not to sign a band?

Thanks!!!

Steve:

I don’t mind replying here. In fact it might be useful…

First off we have a limited release schedule each year. We are extremely selective as to which projects we work on. If we reject a band’s project it doesn’t necessarily mean we don’t like the band or their music. There is only so much time and financial resources we can allocate. Frequently it happens that we pass on some great music and ultimately we help the band with distribution by offering their product through our mail order site. Many bands we have passed on have been signed to other labels (no names please). As it stands now our 2006 schedule looks like it is about to fill up.

Our level of interest in a given project is based on many factors but the main ones are simple and closely interleaved (I always wanted to use that word):

1. How much do we love it?
We have to love it. Something about the music must resonate with us – each project is different. It can be the technicality or the musicality. We never know why we might fall in love with something but it just happens. One way to start off on our good side is to present us with a hi-quality demo and present a compelling story. Why should we care about what you are offering? Convince us.

2. What is the commercial viability?
We are not a not-for-profit organization. We cannot dive headlong into projects that have limited appeal – no how matter much we love it. With our resources we must be careful of the bottom line. It’s a sad reality – selling progressive music is not easy these days. Conversely, we are not money whores. It doesn’t matter how commercial your project is – if we feel it has little musical substance we will pass regardless of who you are. We think our labels are quality conscious and we have no interest in diluting it or losing the trust of our customers.

3. What are the financial commitments?
Projects come to us in all stages of completeness. Sometimes we are offered finished recordings with artwork in place. More often we are dealing with poor starving prog artists and we are asked to take on the burden of the recording costs. This can sometimes make or break our interest - it all varies from project to project. It’s not easy for a new band to get traction in the marketplace. On the other hand, if a known artist contacts us and there is a sales history to review, we can make a more reasonable assessment of how much we can invest in the project. When finances become an issue we have to refer back to points 1 and 2 above.

The rest of your questions are pretty easy. We handle manufacturing, distribution and promotion. We can provide assistance with graphic design and have strong feelings about who should be mastering a given project.

Feel free to submit your band’s demo when you are ready.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Regards,
Ken Golden
The Laser’s Edge/Sensory/Free Electric Sound
www.lasercd.com

Really useful post that was, thanks a lot Ken. You've been very high on my list of labels since i first stumbled across bands from your site. Stylistically you seem perfect, with the mix ranging between progressive rock and metal, just like my music.

As soon as I have good copies of my album (damn CD duplication is having hassles) I'll be forwarding you a copy and details. But for the moment it would be useful to know your thoughts on two aspects.

My project is instrumental and it's a solo project (ie not a live band). Obviously one of your labels is instrumental, but i assume these things are still important to your decision. So I was wondering how much affect those two factors do have (Assuming other factors were to your liking)?

Thanks in advance, and congratulations on your current roster of bands, very impressive.

Thanks for replying! That's exactly what I was wondering. As for my personal situation, my band is nearing completion of the writing phase of the album, and we've got home-recorded demos for over half of the songs. I'm hoping to be able to record the album in the studio without financial backing from a label, which would hopefully help your decision, but I want to wait until we're completely ready with everything so that no time in the studio is wasted. I would like to send something to you for you to be able to make a decision, but I'm not sure what I should send. Should I go ahead and send what demos I have already recorded? Or should I wait until we have the entire album in demo form? Or should I wait even longer until we have the entire studio recording? I'm afraid that if I send home-recorded demos, the band may come across as looking less-than-professional, but if you could provide any advice or any means of assistance with the studio recording, I would rather know that before entering the studio.

At any rate, thanks again for your previous reply!

YaYo:

We have no problem releasing instrumental projects. Unfortunately we do not work with solo artists - we only work with full bands.

Ken Golden

Stickist said:
Thanks for replying! That's exactly what I was wondering. As for my personal situation, my band is nearing completion of the writing phase of the album, and we've got home-recorded demos for over half of the songs. I'm hoping to be able to record the album in the studio without financial backing from a label, which would hopefully help your decision, but I want to wait until we're completely ready with everything so that no time in the studio is wasted. I would like to send something to you for you to be able to make a decision, but I'm not sure what I should send. Should I go ahead and send what demos I have already recorded? Or should I wait until we have the entire album in demo form? Or should I wait even longer until we have the entire studio recording? I'm afraid that if I send home-recorded demos, the band may come across as looking less-than-professional, but if you could provide any advice or any means of assistance with the studio recording, I would rather know that before entering the studio.

At any rate, thanks again for your previous reply!

After reading Ken's response, I've gotta jump in and say to wait until you have the highest caliber recordings available before submitting. It seems to me if you have the ability to studio-record on your own, then that puts you miles ahead of most bands...but I recognize how demanding that can be on your resources (obviously).

If you're sincere about the band...I'd hate to see you blow it cuz you sent a less-than-professional demo that didn't necessarily impress, and that first impression may be all the opportunity you ever get.

Re-read Ken's response...he basically told you what he was looking for.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response back there Ken, though im of course a little disappointed!

circus_brimstone said:
:headbang:

Like your stuff.
Thanks! :)

I've actually been meaning to contact you about it. I believe you did a review/interview with a band Sepia Dreamer for TMO a while back (though i havent seen it on the site yet). Jonas from that band was the mixer for my project, I thought you might be interested in reviewing my project as well. I'll drop you a PM in the next few days to find out.

YaYo said:
I've actually been meaning to contact you about it. I believe you did a review/interview with a band Sepia Dreamer for TMO a while back (though i havent seen it on the site yet). Jonas from that band was the mixer for my project, I thought you might be interested in reviewing my project as well. I'll drop you a PM in the next few days to find out.

Yeah, Sam and I collaborated on some Sepia Dreamer content for TMO, though it hasn't been published yet. :erk: :cry: It will be soon, though, I hope. Just go ahead and drop me a PM because, from the sound of things, I'd like to check your album out. I'm also slated to review the 4-way split...when that comes out in 2329. :loco: