Difference between Sensory and Laser's Edge

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Hey Ken or anyone else that might know, what exactly is the difference between Sensory and Laser's Edge? Do you run both companies or are there different executives for each label?

Thanks!

The main company is The Laser's Edge. We began as a mail order company in 1988. We launched The Laser's Edge label in 1990. The label focuses on progressive rock. When we started the label we specialized in reissues of rare albums but after some time the focus shifted to working with new bands. In 1997 I decided to start up Sensory, a label specializing in progressive metal. Originally I was going to call the label "Sensorium" but that was taken! In 2001 I thought it would be a good idea to spin off yet another label - Free Electric Sound. This is our instrumental fusion label.

Although there are some friends/confidants that I discuss band selection with, ultimately it's my company and I make the final decisions on who we work with.

Ken Golden

File this under meaningless trivia...

Sensory was actually not the original name of the label. Our first release was Wyzards "The Final Catastrophe". It was released on Mandrake Root. After it's release we discovered that there was already a Mandrake Root Records in Japan and to avoid confusion we changed the name to Sensory. If you own the original first pressing of Wyzards on Mandrake Root you have a rarity on your hands.

Ken Golden

Very cool...I just so happen to have that Wyzard's album. I was flipping through a trade publication one day at a friend's record store...saw an ad touting the album which gave a few short reviews...ordered it on the spot through my friend...took a chance...great album!

Sure enough, I look on the back right now...it says "Mandrake Root - A Division of The Laser's Edge" with a 1997 copyright.

Interesting bit o' trivia there, Ken...thanks!

Rock on!