Accept - Blood of the Nations Tour

Rick Pierpont

Odin's Court Guitar
Oct 1, 2003
Morrisville, NC
www.myspace.com
So every one here is talking about how great the new Accept disk is and how they were so awesome at the Showcase... What I want to know is where was everybody else for that show? Attendance was light for such a talented and classic act. Worse yet, I saw them again this past Friday in Baltimore (this time with the whole family) and attendance was even lighter. :-( Promoters are going to be more and more wary of bringing over the obscure music that we love if people don't start getting out there and supporting live music.

Anyhow, Accept delivered the goods again, so here is a review of the show written by yours truly. :) Enjoy!

http://usaprogmusic.com/joomla/inde...-of-the-Nations-2010-Tour-Accept-Baltimore-MD

There's still so many people out there who will not give an Udo-less version of Accept a chance. :(
As unfair that may be, it's something the band has to understand - they have to fight an uphill battle, especially in 2010 where younger kids are paying more attention to the myriad younger bands. What I'm saying is I think the band and/or booking agent is aiming too high with this tour, venue-wise. I would expect an Accept show to draw 300, maybe 400. Tonight's stop in Massachussets is an 800-1000 capacity venue. So if that many people show up tonight, it's not going to look very good because the room is so big.

Well not knowing one song besides the new one and balls to the walls, they were amazing at the showcase. Made me an instant fan. The new singer is even really good!

There's still so many people out there who will not give an Udo-less version of Accept a chance. :(
As unfair that may be, it's something the band has to understand - they have to fight an uphill battle, especially in 2010 where younger kids are paying more attention to the myriad younger bands. What I'm saying is I think the band and/or booking agent is aiming too high with this tour, venue-wise. I would expect an Accept show to draw 300, maybe 400. Tonight's stop in Massachussets is an 800-1000 capacity venue. So if that many people show up tonight, it's not going to look very good because the room is so big.

This. With such beloved bands, people are not open-minded with new band members especially when it's a new singer. The thing here is, even though I haven't seen them live yet but will in about 1 1/2 weeks is, I find Tornillo to be a much better singer than Udo. I'm ecstatic I'll be seeing them, even though the place I'm seeing them seems WAY too big for them, but personally I think they should've been support for a bigger band for a US tour. From that they would get a lot of new fans and possibly people that were weary about the lineup into actual fans. Also, as much as I love King's X they are NOT a good band to tour with Accept. Total clash of styles. Lastly, the tour just isn't being promoted that well in my opinion. They're promoting it and King's X are, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are Accept fans out there that don't even know this tour is going on or if their disc is out for that matter. I haven't gone to a Best Buy or anything lately though, so I have a question for those who have...is there disc readily available at stores?

As for the Progpower show, I think there are a number of reasons it was light on people. For one, economics and people not wanting to be in town an extra night when Accept will be coming by them on this tour. I think that really hurt the turnout. Had it been the only show or just one of a couple shows stateside, I think it would've sold out.

I haven't gone to a Best Buy or anything lately though, so I have a question for those who have...is there disc readily available at stores? QUOTE]

I picked up my copy at Earshot in Greenville, SC. I've checked Best Buy on a few occassions with no luck. My buddy in Michigan also checked his local Best Buy but could not find it.

I saw them in Baltimore, last Friday. AMAZING. I'm totally crushing on their new vocalist, now. Sexy old men FTW!

Attendance WAS light, but, it was a great crowd. And unfortunately, as a power/prog metal fan, I'm used to my favorite musicians having light turn-outs. You should have seen the crowd at Primal Fear's show!! It felt like a private performance!

I bought it at Best Buy on the release date, but I had paid for it online so I just picked it up at customer service and didn't see how many copies they had or if it had any kind of prominent placement such as the new releases endcap. Just checked now and it's backordered on their website, but still available at my store and three others out of the 12 nearest to me.

I'd like to go to their show in my area, but I just don't think I can pull it off unfortunately. I thought they had the best show of the weekend at PPUSA.

Interesting side note. They're playing a venue about 40 miles West of the city of Chicago (practically in my backyard, actually), not even convenient to any major highways. That can't help ticket sales at all.

Interesting side note. They're playing a venue about 40 miles West of the city of Chicago (practically in my backyard, actually), not even convenient to any major highways. That can't help ticket sales at all.

Yes. I thought the same. St. Charles is a VERY strange place to have a show like this. I'm wondering what they were thinking when they booked that place. HOB would've been perfect for them in my opinion. Oh well. I'm still hoping for a good turnout though.

HOB???? They wouldn't even fill a quarter of HOB.

The only benefit might be the better promotion for the show.
I like ACCEPT, and have for many years, dating back to the mid-80s.

I think younger fans who weren't around then have this image that many bands like ACCEPT who have a comeback were selling out arenas back in the day. The fact is, they were never a monster draw in the states.

I agree 100% that they should have first toured as direct support. Someone like the Scorps would have been perfect.

I agree 100% that they should have first toured as direct support. Someone like the Scorps would have been perfect.

They did this overseas I believe for at least a couple of shows. I'm surprised they didn't do this for the US, especially since in my opinion the Scorps' support sucked with the exception of the Chicago date. Thinking back, I'm wondering if when they played that sole NYC show earlier in the year if because that sold good tickets, they just assumed that a full-fledged headlining tour would do well. Regardless, I think their booking agent sucks and is overly confident in their drawing power.

From things I heard, I figured Accept were never a huge draw in the states. Like you and I both said though, I think a lot of Accept fans don't realize they're back. I seem to remember a thread a while back when the PPUSA street team were advertising at shows in Atlanta that there were a lot of people shocked that Accept would be playing. Lastly, while an okay label, I don't think Nuclear Blast was the best fit for them personally. Just my 2 cents.

Seeing them in Hollywood the middle of October. I know the people of SoCal won't disappoint!!

The new disc is so freaking great its scary :worship:

Well not knowing one song besides the new one and balls to the walls, they were amazing at the showcase. Made me an instant fan. The new singer is even really good!

I think this is the main reason attendance is light. Many people only know "Balls To The Wall," and most don't even know that Accept wrote it or know who Accept even are. I imagine the following scenario is rampantly common:

Accept Fan: "Dude, Accept are coming to the US!! Holy shit!"

Random Metal Guy: "Uhhh, who???"

AF: "Balls To The Wall?"

RMG: "Oh yeeeah! That song rocks so hard. That song's OLD. They're still around?"

AF: "Yeah, they're still together. They've got a new album, and they're touring and playing the old classics! Metal Heart, Fast As A Shark, Restless And Wild ... omg omg omg omg omg"

RMG: "Never even heard those songs. I thought they were a one-hit wonder?"

Before Accept were announced for the Showcase, I was Random Metal Guy :eek:

I haven't gone to a Best Buy or anything lately though, so I have a question for those who have...is there disc readily available at stores? QUOTE]

I picked up my copy at Earshot in Greenville, SC. I've checked Best Buy on a few occassions with no luck. My buddy in Michigan also checked his local Best Buy but could not find it.

The Best Buy in Naperville, IL had about 5 copies.

Yeah, I estimate it was 300-500 in Baltimore. The place holds 1,500!! I think the tour was poorly promoted and the fact that they've been out of the loop for so long doesn't help. They were my favorite group at the end of grade school! After Balls to the Wall I got away from them and got into other underground who were going heavier. Had it not been for ProgPower I likely wouldn't have known either. None of the local rock stations promoted the show and I really don't understand that. Especially 97 Underground!

It really is a shame. They really are in good form right now. Enjoy the show tonight!

This. With such beloved bands, people are not open-minded with new band members especially when it's a new singer. The thing here is, even though I haven't seen them live yet but will in about 1 1/2 weeks is, I find Tornillo to be a much better singer than Udo. I'm ecstatic I'll be seeing them, even though the place I'm seeing them seems WAY too big for them, but personally I think they should've been support for a bigger band for a US tour. From that they would get a lot of new fans and possibly people that were weary about the lineup into actual fans. Also, as much as I love King's X they are NOT a good band to tour with Accept. Total clash of styles. Lastly, the tour just isn't being promoted that well in my opinion. They're promoting it and King's X are, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are Accept fans out there that don't even know this tour is going on or if their disc is out for that matter. I haven't gone to a Best Buy or anything lately though, so I have a question for those who have...is there disc readily available at stores?

As for the Progpower show, I think there are a number of reasons it was light on people. For one, economics and people not wanting to be in town an extra night when Accept will be coming by them on this tour. I think that really hurt the turnout. Had it been the only show or just one of a couple shows stateside, I think it would've sold out.
You hit it right on! And yes, WTH was King's X doing with them? Terrible match!