Air fresheners - yes, really.

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Okay, it's time for the lamest thread / question ever on the PPUSA Lounge Forum!

Who has had good luck with air fresheners and can make a recommendation?

I've been using Air Wick plug ins - they do a good job for a short time, but the refills run out pretty quickly and, like with printer ink, refills are darn expensive!

We have a dog, the kids have gerbils. Sometimes the house just does not smell all that fresh! Besides feeding the gerbils to the dog or paying to have the carpets professionally cleaned every few months, are there any suggestions for air fresheners, plug ins, automatic sprayers, etc that anyone has had luck with?

Thanks!

Ken

If you're not cleaning the gerbil cages every week or so, you might want to start doing that. I know rodents can be pretty stinky.

Febreeze Air Effects seem to work pretty well. I tend to keep one in the bathroom in case of stinky emergencies.

Welllllllll, I'd suggest the Fresh Wave line of products. We sell them at Bed, Bath and Beyond, the job I have when I get through with my teaching school day. A tad expensive but there are sprays, carpet powders, laundry additives, etc. If you live near a BBB, go check it out. Take the top off the spray and smell it...kinda smells like Mr. Clean. Hope this helps!

We keep our litter box in our laundry room, and we have an Air Wick Freshmatic hanging on the wall. It works wonders and I highly recommend it. It takes 2 AA batteries, and I never buy the Air Wick brand refill cans b/c they are like $4.99+ each. Instead, I buy my refills at Dollar General and get the Dollar General brand can refills b/c they will fit as well (as do Glade, etc.) We really like the crisp linen scent.. it has a light blue cap. Anyhow, they often come in two-packs priced at $5.

And as a side note, I haven't had any luck at all w/ those gel cone thingys. They don't work well at all, imo.

Hope this helps!

~Jen

We keep our litter box in our laundry room, and we have an Air Wick Freshmatic hanging on the wall. It works wonders and I highly recommend it. It takes 2 AA batteries, and I never buy the Air Wick brand refill cans b/c they are like $4.99+ each. Instead, I buy my refills at Dollar General and get the Dollar General brand can refills b/c they will fit as well (as do Glade, etc.) We really like the crisp linen scent.. it has a light blue cap. Anyhow, they often come in two-packs priced at $5.

And as a side note, I haven't had any luck at all w/ those gel cone thingys. They don't work well at all, imo.

Hope this helps!

~Jen

Basically this. We do pretty much the same thing. We have 2 dogs and three cats in a relatively small house. We've got these things in several strategic locations and it generally keeps things under control. If you don't have them set to spray very often they'll last a good while before you need to replace them.

I had a gerbil and guinea pigs when I was a kid, I'm surprised you're having smell issues with them unless, as one poster noted, the cage isn't being cleaned. Gerbils are pretty clean, as they have to be in the wild so as not to attract predators.

A dog though I can understand being stinky! hahaha

Basically this. We do pretty much the same thing. We have 2 dogs and three cats in a relatively small house. We've got these things in several strategic locations and it generally keeps things under control. If you don't have them set to spray very often they'll last a good while before you need to replace them.

Same here. Two dogs in a small apartment pretty much requires some kind of air freshener. We have four automatic fresheners, Airwick brand I think. People had walked in the apartment and can't smell the dogs unless they are right under their noses. :) The fresheners are set to spray every 36 minutes, and the cans last about two months.

I use the Air Wick scented oil plug-ins. I only have one, in my living room, set to the lowest setting, and it takes care of my entire two bedroom apartment. I don't have animals, though. I find it's best to keep two or more scents on-hand, and alternate between them when they run out.

It's not terribly cheap, but I'm a fan of the Scentsy stuff. The wax cubes last a really long time too. They have different sizes, including a plug-in variety. They also have hanging fresheners for the car or closet or whatever. I used to have a couple of wallflowers from Bath & Body Works, but for some reason they don't seem to be working anymore.

Mindi (Zilla's better half) sells Scentsy here: https://mindijennings.scentsy.us/Home

Thanks for all the hints. I'm trying a combination; at the store yesterday, I bought a Glade automatic sprayer, so I'm glad for the info that Dollar General refills are cheaper and compatible! I also bought the Febreze candle that J-Man suggested. The auto sprayer is in the upstairs hallway near all the bedrooms, and the candle is in the office where the dog hangs out a lot. The big test for the Glade sprayer is how fast it goes through a can. We'll see!

Ken