Album Covers

DuchessOfDork

Feb 9, 2009
So I apologize if I bring up a threat that has been done to death, but I was having a discussion regarding album covers with a friend of mine, so I wanted to get the opinions from other metal folk. We were talking about album covers and their impact on people's perception of bands. Personally, I love the ultra-cheesy high-fantasy and sci-fi album covers that are all painted and detailed. I see covers like that, and it makes me want to buy the album more.

Do album covers affect the way you purchase albums? Would you buy an album just based on the cover? I know I've done that, before.. I based my purchase of my first Iced Earth album just on their album cover!

And what are your favorite albums covers? Is it your favorite because of the art, or the album itself?

That being said, this is my favorite:

album-chapter-v-unbent-unbowed-unbroken.jpg

Honestly, Album covers are not what I'm after, I rarely look through the book. The artwork is cool, but I've really kind of recently abandoned physical media in exchange for digital, and that was something I didn't think I'd do.

I'm a big fan of album covers, but I wouldn't say it makes me want to buy it then and there. However, if I see an album cover I like, I will most likely take a listen to the band and then I will purchase the album. I'd have to think about it a bit in terms of my favorite considering how many I have.

Huge fan of good cover art. My favorites would probably be Stratovarius' Infinite, Symphony X's V, and Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands.

That Hammerfall Chapter V cover is cool as well, although it's the only really good Hammerfall album cover, IMO.

Oh, shout out to Pagan's Mind too. From Celestial Entrance to God's Equation, beautiful art.

While nothing like the others, people are posting, I guess I would say nothing beats the early Candlemass covers, which are just beautiful pieces of art.

Candlemass---Tales-Of-Creation-Front-Cover-6550.jpg

candlemass-nightfall.jpg

candlemass-ancient-dream.jpg