Albums you just don't get.

Magius

Nov 19, 2005
Atlanta
Expanding from the bands you don't get thread, the criteria for this thread needs to assume two things:
1. One actually likes the band that released the album, so you can't discount an entire body of work because you dislike the artist.

2. Most other people would consider the album to be at least good if not excellent. Therefore, Monday Morning Apocalyspe isn't a good candidate.:heh:

For me:

Iced Earth- Horror Show: One of the most boring albums I own. I bought it blind and loved the concept. I listened to it 3 or 4 times in a row, and it hasn't left the rack since. Not one song was even memorable to me.

Iron Maiden- Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: Many seem to call this thing a "classic" Maiden album. I find it completely monotonous, with uninspired verses, and choruses that consist of repeating the song title 4 to 6 times. The Maiden "classics" IMO are Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, and Powerslave... end of story.

Iced Earth- Horror Show: One of the most boring albums I own. I bought it blind and loved the concept. I listened to it 3 or 4 times in a row, and it hasn't left the rack since. Not one song was even memorable to me.

I need time to think about my answer to this thread, but this album is on my list for sure.

Blind Guardian - A Night At the Opera. I love everything about Blind Guardian from Battalions of Fear to Imaginations From the Other Side, but I can't listen to this album in one sitting. The songs are amazing live - same for the new album - but I don't get the same satisfaction from the CD. *shrug*

For me:

Not even Dracula? That's a top 10 Iced Earth tune for sure .. at least in my opinion. It's not my favorite IE disc, but it's quality none the less.

I won't even get into IM's 7th Son ... it's a top 5 favorite of all time disc for me.

Oh well .. to each his own. I have a few of my own that would make people scratch their heads. One that comes to mind is .....

Fates Warning - APSOG -- bores me silly after the first 10 minutes of so.

Britt

Pain of Salvation Scarsick-Their entire catalog is amazing,awesome,and fanfuckintasorgasmic...Scarsick left me hanging from the toilet forcefully blowing chunx...Disco Queen is stuck in my head for all of the wrong reasons

The Wake of Magellan happens to be in my top five albums of all time. Poets and Madmen is solid to me, but not classic status.

....I had to get that off my chest, because it hurt a little. :p

I love Evergrey, but I don't get "The Inner Circle". Most Evergrey fans love this album, but it just never pulled me in for some reason.

~Brian~

Blind Guardian - A Night At the Opera. I love everything about Blind Guardian from Battalions of Fear to Imaginations From the Other Side, but I can't listen to this album in one sitting. The songs are amazing live - same for the new album - but I don't get the same satisfaction from the CD. *shrug*

Yeah, I listend to Night at the Opera over a dozen times and it just wasn't grabbing me at all. It kind of reminds me of Unia in that they are both a bit chaotic with sudden changes but without really sounding progressive.

I guess if the changes make sense to you it's "prog", but if they don't, it's just "chaotic crap".

The Wake of Magellan is that album for me. It never clicked with me at all.

Awesome album. Probably a top ten for me.

Sonata Arctica "Unia" I can't get into. I really like the band, amazing live, but for some reason, I just can't deal with this one. What's worse, is knowing I'm going to the concert in a couple of weeks, and have to sit through songs from it. Maybe seeing it live will help.

Not even Dracula? That's a top 10 Iced Earth tune for sure .. at least in my opinion. It's not my favorite IE disc, but it's quality none the less.

It's not even the original version. Iced Earth had a song called Dracula back in the late 80s on a release called Tampa Bay's Metal Mercenaries. It was put together by Keith Kollins (you may recall that name). Kamelot also graced that release as well as a band called Halifax which was produced by the Mountain King. I still have the release. A lot of good bands were down here at that time. Too bad I wasn't 21 then to attend the shows.

For albums that I just don't get.

Metallica's Black album (I won't even mention anything after this one). For me, it was too bland, I never knew why everyone got so into this release. Listening to it now, I think it would have made a great EP especially if you take out all the slow crap. To me, if Metallica is going to do a slower song, look no further than Welcome Home (Sanitarium).

I'm sure I can think of a couple more later on.

The Wake of Magellan is that album for me. It never clicked with me at all.

That album really got me back into Savatage. Once Criss passed away and Jon passed on the vocal duties I no longer followed the releases until I heard the demo for Chance when I was working at 98rock locally. I got Handful of Rain for free but never really listened to anything but track 3. Magellan came out and I snagged it out of curiosity and then bought all the other non-Jon albums the next week.

I second Scarsick... Every previous disc was more than fantastic :headbang: , but this thing SUCKS!:puke:

Plus that he calls it TPE2 makes it the hugest letdown in metal history...:rolleyes:

IMO the last 2 Pain of Salvation was not even worth being downloaded and burned.

Iced Earth - Horror Show (I think it is a solid album)
Iron Maiden - 7th Son ( my favorite and last album I like by them)
Fates Warning - apsog (do I need to exlpain? is how I got my nick name :)
Savatage - Wake of Magellan (Great album, not awesome but I like it)
Evergrey - Inner Circle (Nothing about this album I don't like)
Blind Guardian - Opera (Great, but not awesome)

Fates Warning - X (Me being a huge Fates fan, I still do not care for this one very much. Rays voice was not on par. His voice is bad ass on Redemption though so I don't know what happened on the FW X.)

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery: I thought this album was pretty boring as a whole. I can appreciate that it was/is an influential album but I'd much rather spin Fiction or Character any day.