Alexi Accident

Sep 22, 2008
†Italy†
I was taking about Alexi with a fan i found on the net...he told me that due to his wrong position of the arm...he strained his muscles and tendons and he got a tendinitis and he disclocated the shoulder...

This fan showed my that playing the solos holding the guitar on the knee is a custom he uses recentely to manege to do the solos...

Ever heard something about that?

Total lie.

He did hurt his shoulder sometime before or after Blooddrunk, but it did no permanent damage. And he did it bowling, drunk.

Plus, he's been doing that pose for ages. And it's just that, a pose.

Total lie.

He did hurt his shoulder sometime before or after Blooddrunk, but it did no permanent damage. And he did it bowling, drunk.

Plus, he's been doing that pose for ages. And it's just that, a pose.

Agreed, but not on the bold marked statement. I have an Interview with a german guitar magazine where Alexi states that he lays the guitar on his thigh to play difficult solos. He has a better spider-position (guitar players know what I'm talking about) then. Same goes for other players like Petrucci, who has a metal block on stage only to move into this pose during very hard parts.

i think its inspired from Zakk Wylde lol. Cause Zakk always does that, but tbh i don;t like playing like that. I like putting the guitar on my right leg but it doesn't look cool with a V.

i think its inspired from Zakk Wylde lol. Cause Zakk always does that, but tbh i don;t like playing like that. I like putting the guitar on my right leg but it doesn't look cool with a V.

I like putting the guitar on my right leg too but I have to wait about 1 year...to try the emotion of having a ESP V on my hands :lol:

Edit:

If you watch the live in seoul...during the solos alexi doesn't put the guitar on the knee,but only takes it more vertically in comparison with the normal position

I like putting the guitar on my right leg too but I have to wait about 1 year...to try the emotion of having a ESP V on my hands :lol:

Edit:

If you watch the live in seoul...during the solos alexi doesn't put the guitar on the knee,but only takes it more vertically in comparison with the normal position
Yeah, but in the video he probably has his guitar a lot higher then nowadays.

Ill tell you something,when you have the V that low its so hard to play a solo cause your body has to contort like crazy.Also like *Corny* said gives you a better spider position and it gets really irritating when you cant find something to place your left leg on.

yeah its harder to get your hand to come around to play on the lower strings with your thumb centered when you wear a guitar as low as alexi, because you cant bend your elbow and still have your wrists be at the level of the neck.

^Trye. What I usually do is like move the whole guitar a lil bit to the left so the neck goes more vertical and the guitar rises a lot. Most of the times it's enough, but for hard solos it's way more comfortable to put the guitar on my left leg like Alexi does, although as I don't usually have a stage monitor or somehting like that to put my foot on and rise the whole leg I just get down a bit and open my feet a bit more than normally before I throw the guitar on top.

I agree with you...but someone says that he can play solos only in that position...i think it's a huge lie

Not that he can't but it makes it easier.

Ill tell you something,when you have the V that low its so hard to play a solo cause your body has to contort like crazy.Also like *Corny* said gives you a better spider position and it gets really irritating when you cant find something to place your left leg on.

It's not like you can't play, it's just harder, and you don't really need something to place your leg, jsut crouch down a bit, open your feet and put the guitar on top of the leg, it'll be fine like that. At least it works for me :)

I found the most comfortable height for playing live is with the bridge sitting at about my waistline. Kind of a happy medium for playing well and rockin out haha

I agree with you...but someone says that he can play solos only in that position...i think it's a huge lie

It is a big lie, he plays the Downfall solo without putting it on his knee.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vNFjLArumTw[/ame]
[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rPSXa_dOLqE[/ame]

I think he does it mostly to reach the upper frets on the lower strings, which are hard to stretch to with the guitar low. It's only more comfortable for some solos, but for others like Downfall it's not really a problem.

Actually the Downfall solo requires knee for me :lol: But f.e. Sixpounder's first solo (I can't play the second one :lol:) it's ok withouth putting the guitar on my knee, and for a solo like LDB's with the diminished sweeps all along the fretboard is actually kinda uncomfortable cos you have to rise the right hand quite a bit for the first sweeps. But that's just me.

I found the most comfortable height for playing live is with the bridge sitting at about my waistline. Kind of a happy medium for playing well and rockin out haha

Well, just for playing it works great too for me, but dunno if it's because of the shape or what but for moving around and general stage crap it feels better with the bridge balls heigth or a lil bit lower. Either that or in a HB-FTR Alexi style, but that kills my shoulder after a full show.

I tend to go for the Alexi stance during solos because a) it makes me feel good about myself and b) the it's easier to keep your elbow and wrist at optimum picking angles. Although I also like Eddi Van Halen's stance whilst tapping!!!!!!!!!!