Alice in Chains- A Looking in View

Are you sure you want to go with "great vocalist"? If so, which song would I queue up to be floored by his greatness? Which song is his "Take Hold of the Flame"? His "Dracula"? Which song would I be blown away by his power, range and depth of emotion?

Keep in mind, when I say he "can't sing", that isn't meant to imply he doesn't have a cool voice. For instance, I love Vince Neil's voice on disc. However, I think we can agree, Vince can't sing. Blackie Lawless has a totally badass voice. But Blackie is not a great vocalist. Paul can carry a tune. However, does he do so with power, range and/or emotional depth? Not that I've ever heard. However, as always, I'm open to being proved wrong.

Zod

Try "Take Me Away (Together As One)" off his '78 solo disc.
"A Million To One" off Lick It Up.
"I've Had Enough (Into The Fire)" off Animalize
and "Creatures Of The Night" off that album just because Iced Earth covered it :D

Having grown up listening to these guys, these songs always stood out for me for Paul.

I'm in the "Paul's not a tremendous vocalist" group as well. That being said he's still, or was, one of the best frontmen out there for entertainment, kinda like David Lee Roth and Steven Tyler. I think those 3 guys are more "frontmen" than singers but are extremely entertaining to watch.

Are you sure you want to go with "great vocalist"? If so, which song would I queue up to be floored by his greatness? Which song is his "Take Hold of the Flame"? His "Dracula"? Which song would I be blown away by his power, range and depth of emotion?

Keep in mind, when I say he "can't sing", that isn't meant to imply he doesn't have a cool voice. For instance, I love Vince Neil's voice on disc. However, I think we can agree, Vince can't sing. Blackie Lawless has a totally badass voice. But Blackie is not a great vocalist. Paul can carry a tune. However, does he do so with power, range and/or emotional depth? Not that I've ever heard. However, as always, I'm open to being proved wrong.

Zod

Zod, comparing Paul Stanley to Vince Neil and Blackie isn't a good comparison. Vince and Blackie, much like Stephen Pearcy and Dee Snider, are "stylist". Yes, Tate is a much better singer than Paul, I'll give you that. With that said, that's not the debate. You stated that Paul can't sing, but I disagree. Listen to the tune on Sarah Brightman's disc, Symphony, that features Paul. :kickass:

~Brian~

If you haven't heard his work, why criticize my selection of him?

I was merely paraphrasing your comments in post 25 of this thread; consider it an homage.

I would actually be willing to listen to these earlier works, based on your recommendation. That said, I doubt anything will change my opinion that Manowar are the Village People of heavy metal.

That said, calling Eric Adams "a poor-man's Jesse James Dupree" is one of the stranger statements I've read on this board.

To each their own...as you said: "Some people like having sex with chickens."

Why not criticize my selection of Tate, based on his vocal work on American Soldier?

As I stated previously: "I could go on, but I really don't want to nitpick."

I'm simply trying to illustrate the point that my list would be WAY cooler than yours, if I actually had a list.

I would actually be willing to listen to these earlier works, based on your recommendation. That said, I doubt anything will change my opinion that Manowar are the Village People of heavy metal.
Agreed. Their look is quite silly and they take themselves way too seriously. However, their earlier works have been quite influencial and we're they quite solid musically back then. I wouldn't recommend buying them blind, but if you have a way to get your hands on Hail to England, Battle Hymns and Sign of the Hammer, check them out. Specifically, check out the track "Mountains" off Sign of the Hammer and "Blood of my Enemies" Hail to England off of if you can.

I'm simply trying to illustrate the point that my list would be WAY cooler than yours, if I actually had a list.
:lol::kickass:

Zod

So with Check My Brain, its still so difficult for me to hear. I mean I like the song, but ... you want to hear Layne's voice. You expect to. But its not there. I'll likely buy the album.

I like and have purchased both new tracks from iTunes. But Check My Brain made me immediately think Check My Layne (impersonator).

It's not Jerry's fault that Layne was a junkie who couldn't stop until he was dead.

Layne despite being a great vocalist in the end he proved to be the loser. Yes, he was a key part of their sound, but as listening to this new track i would say the true creative power was Jerry and the rest of the band. Vocal melodies are one thing, but good songs are good songs.

Why should they let AIC die with the singer just because he died tragically? He chose the truly dead end life of an addict, not the rest of the band and they have just as much right to carry the torch of AIC into the future.

Plus, Mad Season wasn't that good. As far as side project it could never hold a candle to the Temple Of The Dog album.