Almah, Starbreaker and more now in stock

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
New (and fairly recent) metal titles that are storming out the door:

Almah - Fragile Equality (new power metal from Edu Falaschi)
Starbreaker - Love's Dying Wish (Melodic metal from Tony Harnell/Magnus Karlsson/John Macaluso)
Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes DVD (finally!)
Morning - Moments Of Truth (solid gothic metal for fans of Mandylion period The Gathering)
Aesma Daeva - The Thalassa Mixes (amazing symphonic metal band)
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields/Church Of Broken Glass (2CD from this eclectic SF band)
Operatika - The Calling (well done Nightwish clone)
Empyrios - The Glorious Sickness (Italian progmetal meets industrial)

lots more - check out our site: www.lasercd.com

I was just going to ask if anyone's heard the Starbreaker and there are 2 different opinions on it already :)

Care to divulge a little more???

Big time disagree on that.

Starbreaker is one of the Karlsson projects I have never sampled.

Does this mean I should get the first and avoid the new? Or get both, but just expect the first to be the better one?

For reference, I *love* Allen / Lande The Battle and The Revenge, and highly favor some songs a couple of Last Tribe discs, but don't find them as completely engaging as the Allen / Lande discs.

Ken

The first one definately has their best songs, but I guess it was just the day I had today that the cd just worked great for my current mood, just very chilled and atmospheric, good for a stressful day and being just in one of those down moods.

Regarding STARBREAKER:

The first one definately has their best songs, but I guess it was just the day I had today that the cd just worked great for my current mood, just very chilled and atmospheric, good for a stressful day and being just in one of those down moods.

I really think the new album is awesome (can't remember having heard the first one actually) and the vocal melodies of Tony Harnell are brilliant. Too bad that guy never really got a breakthru' (closest being TNT, but their "success" was pretty shortlived). Besides, this is one of the best Karlsson projects, as it doesn't sound like everything else he does (that guy's songwriting otherwise seem to bore me).

I have always been a huge Macaluso fan ever since first really hearing him get to play in Ark, and he just blew me away live, so he is what made me listen to Starbreaker, but Tony's vocals is what I really like about Starbreaker, and he just sounds amazing and I think he utilizes more range and more vocal melodies on the new one, or at least that is what I have gotten so far, but that being only a couple listen throughs.

The new Starbreaker album is definitely more mellow than the first, and seems to be lacking some of the drive, punch, and melody of the first release. This is probably where some of the differing opinions are coming from. I will not wax long-and-philosophical about this (rare for me, I know), but the 2nd album just seems forced...and I really love Magnus and Tony...sigh.

That being said, I really love the 1st Almah album...looking forward to the 2nd.

Rock on!

What is your comparison/opinion to the first one?

I had a similar reaction to Claus with the first album. Kind of bland.

A quick quote from Almah's Myspace:
And due to the break of singer Edu Falschi´s band ANGRA he is now able to concentrate 100 percent on ALMAH – the one and only legitimate successor!

That exactly sums up how I feel with this second album. Angra kind of ended on a sour note for me because of what a pile of garbage Aurora Consurgens was...not that it's a shitty album, just not an album worthy of following Temple of Shadows and Rebirth (and overall just very mediocre).

This is a nice, interesting segue from that work for me. Now, I hate the idea of Angra being the first thing anyone talks about when bringing up Almah, but one or two more albums like this one and Angra will be somewhat of a distant memory, if you know what I'm sayin'.

I finally gave the new Almah a listen, and am loving it it, just hoping that Edu can sing this stuff live, considering last time I saw Angra he sounded like complete ass and heard he did for the whole tour following. Aurora Consurgens never did much for me either, even though it isn't bad, just didn't hit me like temple of shadows did.