Amorphis - The Beginning of Times

Crazy Booduh

May 19, 2009
Hey Ken,

Release date is May 27th (Europe) and June 7th (US). Are you bringing this in? If so, are we getting the early release and/or Digipack version with bonus tracK?

I get what they offer me and when they offer it. Nuclear Blast is distributed in the US by Century Media (this is a strange arrangement if you know anything about the companies). They seem to be intentionally delaying the US editions of Nuclear Blast titles - sometimes for very long times ie. Avantasia. Why? I don't know and no one can give me a clear answer.

Sometimes CM brings in an import of a Nuclear Blast title and offers it to us at a not so wonderful price, only to follow it with a much more reasonably priced domestic edition weeks (or months later).

Sometimes the US version is identical to the European edition - sometimes not. Always a lot cheaper.

Sometimes they offer titles in sync with the European street date - more often not.

I should probably make this a stuck thread....

Might be an ugly question, but how does Scarecrow records fit into this picture? Seems like they hit the same street date as the European Nuclear Blast release.

Scarecrow Records is a Mexican licensee. They are not supposed to export outside of Mexico. They do not honor territories and typically fans don't care about things like this...and that's why labels ultimately fold.

I don't know much about the companies other than they are both heavy metal labels. That's interesting though because I thought Nuclear Blast had a US division and a Europe division.

Actually, looking at Scar Symmetry's "The Unseen Empire" on Amazon they list "Nuclear Blast America" as their label.

This is all really confusing :bah:

Nuclear Blast is a German company. They have a US division that is distributed here by Century Media. Not sure what is confusing.

I guess I just would have assumed that if a company had something called a "US division" then that would mean they would distribute in the US themselves. I know very little about the 'biz though so I'll just keep my mouth shut from here on out :p
Speaking of Nuclear Blast, are you still waiting on the new Scar Symmetry? It looks like other outlets have already gotten in the domestic editions.